Speculation: Mitchkov or Zach Benson.

Who do you pick

• Matvei Mitchkov

• Zach Benson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
With all due respect, you have previously admitted to never seeing Michkov play. Benson is the better defensive player, but I think Michkov has better vision and offensive IQ. He constantly sets up his teammates with ridiculous passes and complements his incredible vision with a tremendous goal-scoring ability. Benson does not have the playmaking ability that Michkov has, in my opinion. This isn't to denigrate Benson; Michkov simply is elite at creating offense in every way possible. With that being said, I love Benson as a prospect and I would be ecstatic if we were in a position to draft him.

You'd be surprised at how well Michkov sees the ice. Even today he could have had three or four assists if his teammates had capitalized on his passes.
I've actually seen him a handful of times now. No less than most people, I'd assume.

He's a #1 pick last year.

This year, he's #4 for me. Maybe my opinion would change seeing him more, but who knows. Right now, he's #4 on my list.

Reactions: DAChampion

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The answer is still Michkov. The only thing Benson has in his favour is that a dictator from his native country hasn’t invaded another country and fought against the Ukraine in the US proxy war. Michkov is better in every way.
*In your opinion.

Many people thought Laf was a can't miss prospect and that hasn't been true.

The draft is a bigger crap shoot then normal these days. I think you're wrong and Benson is elite. Just my opinion. The only thing I'm worried about is size and I think his IQ is too good for that to matter.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think it is possible to have a covert discussion with Michkov. It needs to be a “friend” of the Habs, someone I am sure Bobrov can find.

Because if Michkov does want to come over, the NHL team will probably only need to give some money to HC. It might be all part of the negociations HC had with Michkov. Everyone wins and both HC and Michkov get protection.

Anyway, just a thought. I don’t see this as a big issue for the NHL.
Due to the sanctions, it is impossible for an NHL franchise to pay HC.

Reactions: NORiculous

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I missed this thread and found it by trying to find the Hughes thread.

Glad to see 88% of us know what we are talking about. I admit, I was a bit nervous when I voted Michkov before seeing the results but my :skeptic: turned to :) after seeing the voting results.

Draft BPA regardless of their path to the NHL. MICHKOV! We don't need work horses, we need top end skill people.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I dont understand how this is a question. Michkov could be a generational prospect
Sorry...but the only generational talent in this draft is Connor Bedard. Point final!!!
Even Craig Button agrees with me!!!

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
This whole discussion is why I want us to tank to at least bottom 4. :D

Each of those picks may get a superstar.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry...but the only generational talent in this draft is Connor Bedard. Point final!!!
Even Craig Button agrees with me!!!

Bedard has more exposure and yes, higher probability he is generational. However, that don't mean Michkov can't be franchise talent or fringe generational.

I don't really care. The point here is Michkov is a serious talent and if he is on the board at 4-8 when we pick, we should take him.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I feel like we won't be taking either. I think it would be a mistake to not take Michkov if he is still available at 5-10. But he's small which is valid and Russian which in my opinion should not factor because he's going to play here eventually this isn't the 70s or 80s.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This whole discussion is why I want us to tank to at least bottom 4. :D

Each of those picks may get a superstar.

Who's busting or disappointing in that top 10 or even top 4? Nobody has the nerve to say Bedard so lets talk about Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov.

If you had to pick one to bust or disappoint, would you pick? Carlsson?

All 4 become superstar and/or top line talent? Very possible but who predicted Kakko to turn into who he has? I recall him being rated very high and if anybody said he was a middle 6 talent on draft day, you would have been extremely ridiculed.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Bedard has more exposure and yes, higher probability he is generational. However, that don't mean Michkov can't be franchise talent or fringe generational.

I don't really care. The point here is Michkov is a serious talent and if he is on the board at 4-8 when we pick, we should take him.
The other thing, no one actually knows how Michkov will respond playing in North America...faster game and way more physical!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I feel like we won't be taking either. I think it would be a mistake to not take Michkov if he is still available at 5-10. But he's small which is valid and Russian which in my opinion should not factor because he's going to play here eventually this isn't the 70s or 80s.

I hope this is not another Galchenyuk, KK, Slaf narrative. Not saying Slaf busts or disappoints but man, can we have nice things with our top 10 pick for a change? Like with massive confidence the player we take is a top line asset.

50/50 chance Michkov slips past 4. Hope it's to us... if we don't win a lottery.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Who's busting or disappointing in that top 10 or even top 4? Nobody has the nerve to say Bedard so lets talk about Fantilli, Carlsson, and Michkov.

If you had to pick one to bust or disappoint, would you pick? Carlsson?

All 4 become superstar and/or top line talent? Very possible but who predicted Kakko to turn into who he has? I recall him being rated very high and if anybody said he was a middle 6 talent on draft day, you would have been extremely ridiculed.

I feel the top 4 are a decent jump up in potential than 5-10. And it appears most scouts agree.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The other thing, no one actually knows how Michkov will respond playing in North America...faster game and way more physical!!

That's true but I would not bypass that skill/talent. At the U16's before the war, Michkov was considered a threat to dethrone Bedard. Bedard gets way more exposure and has a bit more size but man, Michkov is a serious talent bud.

I'd take Fantilli over Michkov but I have Michkov 3rd.

Elite level prospects have Michkov listed at 5'-10" and 148 lbs. But I think that is old and he is closer to 160 lbs. In this case, skill/talent/skating trumps size/weight. I love big boys that are warriors and can skate but we also need game breaking talent as well.

I feel the top 4 are a decent jump up in potential than 5-10. And it appears most scouts agree.

I do agree but when I go look at every draft year (even the deep ones), I still see guys that don't reach potential in the top 5. I've played the draft hype game far to often to not consider that there could be a disappointment.

I just hope we draft something nice for a change. Someone who we have very high confidence that ends up a top line asset that turns the needle. We need it

Reactions: junyab

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The only way I draft Michkov is with Florida pick. Either by winning one lottery with it or he falls through the preliminary spot.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It is a very steep price to pay to draft Michkov.

We all know he is the best prospect after Bedard and he is closer to Bedard than he is to any other player in the draft.

If we draft Michkov and he never comes and we leave Smith/Benson/Fantilli/Carlsson on the table we might bite our f***ing ass.

We have to draw the line at some point but i don't think it would be smart to pass on those player for Michkov. They all have (way less than Michkov indeed) superstar potential.

Let's say we draft 7, would we trade Slafkovsky for the 5th overall to pick Michkov if he was still available ?

Edit : How many years will we hold his right? Because if we can hold them forever, i think it would be well worth the risk. After all he said he wants to come to NA at some point. It might be worth the wait. A Michkov on an ELC in 3 years might be a very necessary pieces for a cup run.
I would trade Slaf for Michkov without blinking.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Nobody knows shit about what will happen with this situation. It has nothing to do with how good Michkov is. Drafting him with a top 5 or top 10 pick is really a big risk, no matter the team. That’s why I think he will be drafted by a team with more than 1 early picks like Montreal, Arizona and possibly Detroit.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Preface this with draft aged prospects don’t always develop to their perceived limit. It’s very possible they flame out or way over achieve.

That being said, at this level, Michkov is in a completely different dimension than Benson is. He’s doing more at his age than the best Russian players in history have. If he was in Canada, he’d be on Bedard, McDavid level of hype and that’s not hyperbole. Michkov May very well be a better player than Bedard is at this point. So while Benson is a great talent and a great pick, it’s a huge disservice to compare him to Michkov at this point.

Jul 6, 2016
Michkov is just a super risky pick considering the actual political (war) situation over there (Russia-Ukraine). He might never come over here. Putin and KHL will do all they can to keep him home. We are back in the Cold War era pre-1993

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad