Management Mitchell Miller signing - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree it’s a terrible precedent, but this is also a unique situation. The kid hasn’t set foot on AHL/NNL ice yet. There are - recent - human rights violations in question. Other members of the union have publicly stated they aren’t ok with this…does the PA have any obligation to protect them and their interests?

Precedent or not, almost anything is on the table if you look hard enough for a loophole/narrative.

And, no, he shouldn’t have to bail the team out. But saying he’s heard what the fans have said and, more importantly, that well-respected veterans such as Bergeron, Marchand, and Foligno have said about questioning his character and if he’d be accepted in the room…makes me realize I haven’t done as much work as I need to I. Order to realize this dream blah blah blah.

All long shots, but I’m spitballing and trying to think of alternatives.
They are indeed protecting their members interests. It's in the interests of every player that management respects contracts and doesn't just nullify them. There is a CBA. Collectively Bargained Agreement. A union that says "Ignore any parts of the CBA you don't like and F' us." Is doing its members a disservice.

Miller, as contempable as he is, has not violated the terms of his contract. He has made no actions since its signing that have gone against it. If the well-respected veterans of the team are upset, that's not up to him to address. If Miller ever plays in the B's organization it will be at a time when AT LEAST 2 of those 3 guys are no longer with the team.

It sure isn't. There's no easy way "out" at all. I guess they could release him, but they're on the hook for $2.5 mil, no? An expensive lesson. Personally, if one or both of Sweeney/Neely don't suffer any consequences, then I'd like to at least see them sitting side by side and own it in a news conference; and admit that this was a bad mistake, no "word crafting", explain what the hell you were thinking. Probably never happen, but...

To see how much of a "bad look" this is for the Bruins, step away from our board, and go to the main board, go to twitter, sports websites, etc. and read the comments. It's tarnished the organization and league for sure. Anyway, I assume we'll hear something within the next few days, whether that is a feeble attempt at damage control or something more signifcant, we'll see.

Have good day!
They can't "release" him until June or unless he agrees to give up that $. (Unless by some unstated power, Bettman nullifies the contract).

Reactions: GordonHowe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Early Friday afternoon, in classic news dump style, the Bruins revealed that they signed Miller to a three-year, entry level contract, one that guarantees the him more than $500,000 across the next three years regardless of whether he makes the varsity roster.

At the NHL level, the deal carries an $862,000 cap hit, according to capfriendly.com.

Miller reported Friday to the AHL Providence Bruins, with general manager Don Sweeney making it clear that the 5-foot-10-inch, 190-pound defenseman will need to train for some time before he is added to a game roster anywhere in the organization. It was clear from Sweeney’s remarks that there is no guarantee that Miller, last season’s defenseman of the year and player of the year in the USHL, ever will make the Boston roster.

Yet the signing equally made clear that the Bruins detect real upside in Miller, who collected a prolific 39-44—83 line last season with the USHL Tri-City Storm.

A source familiar with what he said was a monthlong negotiation of Miller’s contract said Saturday that five NHL clubs also had offers on the table for the defenseman’s services. If true, then presumably those clubs similarly weren’t aware of Bettman’s posture toward Miller being cleared to play in the 32-team league.

Bruins captain Patrice Bergeron, who helped curate the club’s culture in recent years, dating to Zdeno Chara’s long tenure as captain, said he met with the entire team Saturday morning to discuss Miller’s signing.

“I’d like to keep that, I mean, what I said is what I said, right?” said Bergeron, asked by a Globe reporter what he told the group.

The comments to teammates, Bergeron said, echoed what he said moments before in a scrum with reporters at his locker.

“I was asked by Don, close to a week ago, he asked for my opinion,” about the signing, said Bergeron. “I had my concerns. I shared my opinion. In a way, I think I was not necessarily agreeing with it — to be honest with you, I think the culture that we’ve built here goes against that type of behavior. I think we are a team built on character and with character individuals. What he did, obviously is unacceptable. We don’t stand by that.”

Inclusion, diversity and respect are the pillars of the culture inside the dressing room, added the 37-year-old Bergeron.

“Those are the key words and core values that we have,” he added. “And we expect the guys who wear this jersey to be high-character people with integrity and respect — that’s how they should be acting.”

Bergeron said he would want evidence of “growth and change” from Miller before he entered the room.

====================================================================

I hate that they put Bergeron in this position. Hate it.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
What a dumpster fire..... Now that he has a NHL contract, he is protected by the NHL PA, so wrongful termination risks if they bail.... all the while they don't want to go near this at all and the NHL / PA are now both in a hot mess because of this stupidity.... I wonder how long it is going to take sponsors to drop the B's and then how long it will take the JJ to pull the plug. Re-listening to the Sweeney interview on zoom he says near the end it was his decision and if the org felt there was enough in place to support and make Mitchell continue to evolve, etc / it was agreed to. So as much as before he talked about soul searching BS, at the end just before he talks about his father as a role model he states it was his decision quite implicitly. If that is the case - AND - the org backed them up, JJ needs to sweep the deck chairs as they clearly just put a black mark on the franchise, business and brand.

side note - having had first hand experience with Special Ed / Disabled children for a number of years, and a mother who was Special Ed and Head Start teacher for 20 years, Sweeney and his "my father was a principle" narrative is disgusting to me given what the 2 boys did to this kid as stated in the police report, not to mention the other reported behaviours.

Sweeney can literally f*** off for this decision and his narrative trying to justify it. And yes I would say it to his face if given the opportunity as I am sure many would.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Some other things that have occurred to me:

1. The USHL's perspective - they made this kid defenceman of the year and player of the year. Now, I can't claim to know how voting works there - i.e. by a committee of some kind, it can't be media-driven I don't think - but however the initial decision is made, is there not a vetting process? If there is, what was their rationale in supporting?

2. I don't think if they were to try and cut bait - and from what I read here that's not likely possible/easy anyway - that they'd bury it. If you're going to reverse your decision, a) it's going to come out anyway and b) even this brain dead PR group must recognize that it would be beneficial to be very out in the open about it as a means of trying to re-establish trust with the fans, etc.

3. I can't get unstuck on him saying this is an opportunity for the Bruins. It just speaks to a diseased, narcissistic mindset - yes, in a subtle way - but if the kid had the slightest understanding, or care, or self-awareness, or remorse about this thing, if he had a single ounce of humility, he'd not characterize this as a "massive opportunity" for the Bruins - I mean jesus christ, what kind of well adjusted kid would say that WITHOUT this hideous background?

Reactions: GordonHowe and bb74

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Some other things that have occurred to me:

1. The USHL's perspective - they made this kid defenceman of the year and player of the year. Now, I can't claim to know how voting works there - i.e. by a committee of some kind, it can't be media-driven I don't think - but however the initial decision is made, is there not a vetting process? If there is, what was their rationale in supporting?

2. I don't think if they were to try and cut bait - and from what I read here that's not likely possible/easy anyway - that they'd bury it. If you're going to reverse your decision, a) it's going to come out anyway and b) even this brain dead PR group must recognize that it would be beneficial to be very out in the open about it as a means of trying to re-establish trust with the fans, etc.

3. I can't get unstuck on him saying this is an opportunity for the Bruins. It just speaks to a diseased, narcissistic mindset - yes, in a subtle way - but if the kid had the slightest understanding, or care, or self-awareness, or remorse about this thing, if he had a single ounce of humility, he'd not characterize this as a "massive opportunity" for the Bruins - I mean jesus christ, what kind of well adjusted kid would say that WITHOUT this hideous background?
In the USHL, each club nominates a player for each award and then the league's General Managers vote on a winner.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hate that they put Bergeron in this position. Hate it.
This^

We may never know but who recommended this kid? Did they not do their homework on his background? He may be a changed person, but he will always be damaged goods IMO. I really do hope he sees how terrible his behavior was and isn't just saying the words.

You can hate DS, CN and CJ but this is not normal. The worst player in years (IMO) signed was Zac Rinaldo. I didn't like his game. IMHO the character of the players has always been a thing with the Bs.. I remember even during rookie camp (in July) they take the players to local hospitals and let them know that they are expected to give back.

This is just a mystery.

On a selfish level I am pissed this happened to what is looking like a fun exciting season. we don't need this dark cloud hanging over the team. IMO, this should have nothing to do with the Bs playing at the Garden.

Sigh...I hope they can drop him. IMO he will never play at Boston Garden.

I hope no knuckleheads' boo the Bruins players because of this. That would really piss me off.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
All of the above

If I’m the Bruins lawyers I’m searching the Brian Shaw lawsuit for anything that might be useful in an argument to void the contract. It’s a major stretch tho.
If I'm the Bruins, stakeholders, I'm finding out who made this decision, and removing them from a position to make those decisions.

Optics on this are horrible.

And from a player standpoint, that locker room and trust they built over decade+, now put into question. Not because of the players, but because of management. Like if that was once a selling point that management values character, it's not anymore.

Does this affect players re-signing? Does it affect new players? Any discounts they may have had now players in question will question the management.

Sure there's a short term battle they have, and honestly who knows how that will turn out. But the longer term blow back could be awful for a team that 1. Is one of the best teams in the league. Does all this outside BS affect morale? 2. Needs to re-sign key players this year. Do any of them question the management at this point 3. Needs to attract new players in the near future. For a player outside of the organization, how does this look? Management literally asked key members of the team, and it doesn't sound like many were "green" on the idea. (Using Bergeron's own language on the situation)

If there isn't a public scape goat for this issue, I think this has long term affects. And even with that, management was a team decision to allow this to go through.

Last edited:

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This^

We may never know but who recommended this kid? Did they not do their homework on his background? He may be a changed person, but he will always be damaged goods IMO. I really do hope he sees how terrible his behavior was and isn't just saying the words.

You can hate DS, CN and CJ but this is not normal. The worst player in years (IMO) signed was Zac Rinaldo. I didn't like his game. IMHO the character of the players has always been a thing with the Bs.. I remember even during rookie camp (in July) they take the players to local hospitals and let them know that they are expected to give back.

This is just a mystery.

On a selfish level I am pissed this happened to what is looking like a fun exciting season. we don't need this dark cloud hanging over the team. IMO, this should have nothing to do with the Bs playing at the Garden.

I hope no knuckleheads' boo the Bruins players because of this. That would really piss me off.

I can't imagine....or even make sense of....the players being booed. Now, a DS/CN chant is within the realm of possibility for me - but not booing the players. If anything, I would think they'd get a standing freaking ovation for how they've handled this. They should, anyway.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I can't imagine....or even make sense of....the players being booed. Now, a DS/CN chant is within the realm of possibility for me - but not booing the players. If anything, I would think they'd get a standing freaking ovation for how they've handled this. They should, anyway.
You underestimate some of the "fans".

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
Wouldn't it be something if Miller actually agreed to have his contract terminated. It'd actually work in his favour as a sign that he's making attempts at atonement. Won't hold my breath though.

Barring that or any other "fix", seeing as he has an interest in urinals, could he be employed to clean them at the Garden; but I'm assuming his contract specifies playing hockey...

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This^

This is just a mystery.

anyone that boos the current players because of this have their own major malfunction.

I cant see it happening .

The Front Office though? Oh yeah.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
A few bits.

Unable to find a NESN feed and did not want to suffer HNIC. I also thought they would lose. And, in truth, I couldn't watch the game. I didn't want to.

I'm not an expert like some here but this guy will never play a game for the Bruins in the NHL, and that may be the case for the AHL, too. As Fenway observes, Sweeney and Neely are demonstrably terrible -- terrible -- at public relations. If they can, they should cut ties and put this embarassment in the rear view mirror post haste.

I believe in second chances in life.

However:

As we all know, this was not a single, misguided act committed at age fourteen. It was a pattern of behavior over years. Given what I've read, this kid is not remorseful. He has done the bare minimum to simulate contrition in service of resuming his playing career. He does not convince.

Bruins management, for their part, did a shoddy job with their "project" and were derelect in basic due dilligence, failing to notify the league of their plans; failing to converse with or even inform the victim's mother, Joni Meyer-Crothers, that they had signed Miller.

Then Sweeney, like Miller himself, sought to portray the abuse as an isolated event, which was not true.

I am proud of Patrice, Brad and Nick for their pregame comments. They reflect the sentiment of most Bruins fans and a "culture of character" instilled over the past fifteen years plus. They reflect human decency.

Whatever Cam and Don say, they are not the leaders of this club. The players mentioned above are. Not for the last time, Neely and Sweeney have exercised exceedingly poor judgement. Relative to public relations, they remain utterly clueless.

This incident will pass. It was completely avoidable and unnecessary.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised the leafs fans didn’t start a chant last night to be honest. I was expecting it.

I don’t think our fans would boo our players for this at all but I could see opposing fan bases using it to get in their heads.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I bet the kid and his mom were wearing skirts that were too short. Probably were showing too much cleavage. The kid shouldn't have been going to the places in the school where he was getting bullied. I bet other kids at his school were being bullied worse than he was. He should have come forward sooner. The assailant has a bright future, why go after him? I heard the victim was mean a couple times in his life as well. He's not perfect either. Surely he was doing something to bring the bullying on himself. Should have been born pure white. What the hell was he doing going to a school bathroom anyway if he knew he might get bullied? I bet teachers in that school have done some immoral things, so why are we upset about Miller? Crimes were only committed from 6 yrs old to 18 yrs old, so he was just a kid. Last incident was a whole 2 yrs ago so I'm sure he's changed.

Hope everyone is impressed with my logic. Many decades in this country of brilliant logic such as this. Might as well release the majority of people in prison and give them a second chance. Most are not even there for violent crimes. Let's pretend like they are pro hockey prospects and set up plenty of programs for them. Geesh.

Reactions: NeelyDan

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Could the team suspend the player internally on some kind of conduct policy violation and kick the can down the road to the buyout window? That's the only way I see to get rid of the player under the existing rules. Sucks this loser will be making a few hundred G's for nothing in that case but I don't know how else it could legally get done.

Firing the current regime allows the new regime to come in and say the contract was signed ignoring team policies that were clearly in violation and make it their decision to suspend the player.

I get why the PA needs to fight Bettman but I really hope Bettman can figure something out. Maybe Bettman can strike a deal where they let him terminate the contract with the agreement that they'll readdress removing that power this off season in a special session CBA amendment.

This sucks so hard.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Wouldn't it be something if Miller actually agreed to have his contract terminated. It'd actually work in his favour as a sign that he's making attempts at atonement. Won't hold my breath though.

Barring that or any other "fix", seeing as he has an interest in urinals, could he be employed to clean them at the Garden; but I'm assuming his contract specifies playing hockey...
The funny thing, a different player with a different situation (Mallioux sp?) tried to do this. Said "Don't draft me, I'm trying to work out my stuff before I can be an NHL player." And an NHL team stepped up and drafted him anyways. Reasoning, "Well some other team is just gonna do it anyways."

The system is broken and the old boys club of (potentially) good hockey player trumps anything else.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

TORONTO — On Saturday at Scotiabank Arena, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand and Nick Folignomade it clear they do not endorse their employer’s signing of Mitchell Miller. Joni Meyer-Crothers, mother of Isaiah, the victim of Miller’s bullying and racist comments, heard those statements.

“I was very impressed with what they said. Extremely impressed,” Meyer-Crothers told The Athletic. “That definitely gave us comfort.”

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
i was appalled - although not surprised- that the NESN crew was clearly given a gag order, the name Mitch Miller was never brought up

my guess is the front office is in total bunker mentality as they realize this topic won't go away...and it continues to gets uglier as more information comes out.

rule one of crisis management is to admit you screwed up, apologize ( or in this case grovel ) and take whatever steps you can to end the drama. ( of course now that Miller has a binding contact this gets a bit more complicated).

at some point the Bs ownership will likely need a scapegoat for this clown show ....hard to identify who will be left holding the bag since I don't know what the Bs approval process looks like.

Just what we need in what was supposed to be the celebration of a "last ride" season

Last edited:

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
The funny thing, a different player with a different situation (Mallioux sp?) tried to do this. Said "Don't draft me, I'm trying to work out my stuff before I can be an NHL player." And an NHL team stepped up and drafted him anyways. Reasoning, "Well some other team is just gonna do it anyways."

The system is broken and the old boys club of (potentially) good hockey player trumps anything else.
Ya, someone needs to protect these executives/managers from themselves at times. I'm sure the knowledge that other teams were also talking to him affected judgement and timing. Still blows me away that the NHL knew nothing (if true), and state that he is not eligible to play and may never be. So why'd we sign him???

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Could the team suspend the player internally on some kind of conduct policy violation and kick the can down the road to the buyout window? That's the only way I see to get rid of the player under the existing rules. Sucks this loser will be making a few hundred G's for nothing in that case but I don't know how else it could legally get done.

Firing the current regime allows the new regime to come in and say the contract was signed ignoring team policies that were clearly in violation and make it their decision to suspend the player.

I get why the PA needs to fight Bettman but I really hope Bettman can figure something out. Maybe Bettman can strike a deal where they let him terminate the contract with the agreement that they'll readdress removing that power this off season in a special session CBA amendment.

This sucks so hard.
I would guess a conduct policy would only apply after the contract was signed or maybe if the info was found out after which was not the case

Reactions: GordonHowe

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

This sucks so hard.
the player has an agent so I assume the agent is aware of all legal avenues.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

This in a nut shell. They just ruined everything they worked for relations wise with one stupid move. They lost that card. What a nightmare. Someone should take responsibility for this. My feeling is that Sweeney loses this fight. I doubt it was him only. Someone higher should be taken to task. It’s like they can’t stop doing at least one blunder per year.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Well if worse comes to worse I suppose they just pay him and tell him stay away.
There is no rule or law that says he must be on a 23 man roster or ever step on ice.

So you offer him a mutual termination which if accepted is allowed. Or if not accepted he gets AHL salary and essentially is frozen out for 3 years. Anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad