Management Mitchell Miller signing - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Neely? Wait I thought he liked big tough unskilled players. Now he likes sub 6 foot sub 200 lb defensemen> OK
“Cam I really don’t think we should sign this kid, the history, the reaction from the players. It’s a bad idea”

“Shut up Nerd, sign him and get back in your box.”

And the PA is now all in on this and there will be no easy out.
Does the contract make him a member of the union or being on an NHL roster?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
“Cam I really don’t think we should sign this kid, the history, the reaction from the players. It’s a bad idea”

“Shut up Nerd, sign him and get back in your box.”

Does the contract make him a member of the union or being on an NHL roster?
Contract does. Even if in the AHL, he is under an NHL contract and subject to all the rules and benefits of the NHL CBA and it's union.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom,

At this point shouldn't they just keep him and let the NHL do their thing?
At this point Lou, yes. I don't see any way the Bruins can get out of this on their own (terminating the contract).

I'm also not so sure the NHL can find a way out for them. The contract has already been filed and accepted. Miller was eligible to sign a contract so I don't see how it can be declared null and void.

And then there's his agent (forget the union). I'm not sure how the league can go into battle with him and come out smelling like roses.

It's a PR Nightmare.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
At this point Lou, yes. I don't see any way the Bruins can get out of this on their own (terminating the contract).

I'm also not so sure the NHL can find a way out for them. The contract has already been filed and accepted. Miller was eligible to sign a contract so I don't see how it can be declared null and void.

And then there's his agent (forget the union). I'm not sure how the league can go into battle with him and come out smelling like roses.

It's a PR Nightmare.
Do you foresee any front office repercussions for this.

Surely this isn't a good looking for anyone.

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
I would like to know how this whole situation was allowed to fester and grow for 7 years.

Where were the parents on both sides? How long did Isaiah's parents know this was happening? Did they contact school officials and police? If they contacted school officials, is this an epic fail on their part to underestimate the situation and not follow through? What steps were taken? Did police do anything before the event that resulted in arrests?

Where were Mitchell's parents? A 7 year old is not going to start this one their own.....I don't think anyone is a born racist and it's a learned behavior. Was there mental/physical abuse at home? Home of Mitchell's friend? As someone said, the abused often become abusers.

I feel that both of them were let down by the adults that could have helped prevent such a terrible situation from ever happening.

If you are in a position of authority, and even a parent, please get help for your kids when you notice they are either a victim or a bully. And don't stop until someone listens.
Ya, I think we have to be careful with assumptions on all parts, but there is information that has been reported that helps inform us.
- Court documents and almost every news story state the abuse occurred over a 6 year period, so obviously people knew for that length of time.
- I'm not sure the extent of Isaiah's "disabilities" e.g. how well could he verbalize what was happening, particularly when younger
- Then you have Miller who denied, denied, denied...even in court until a closed circuit video was played showing he and another boy punching and kicking Isaiah
- over all those years was it essentially one person's account against another
- also, Miller apparently would pretend to be friends with Isaiah to draw him in, then start abusing him; so that plays into it all as well
- acts of bullying can also be so sublime and go unnoticed/unreported..but again, it was reported as 6 years of abuse, plus according to the mother and father, acts of intimidation occurred 2 years after the trial

Unfortunately bullying occurs in schools (and other places) despite the best efforts of teachers, parents and fellow students; and those that are bullied are usually the vulnerable, weak, disadvantaged. Isaiah sadly was targeted for most of his childhood by Miller. As for Miller, he did what he did; and has had 6 years to atone for it....and the rest of his life to make amends and become a better person, not because he wants to play hockey at the highest level; but because one day he will sincerely realize it was wrong, and he will want to make up for it and be a better person.

At any rate, it might just be the eventual outcome from this to act as a sincere catalyst for change for Miller...or maybe having kids of his own one day, who knows. But I hope Isaiah has been provided with whatever he needs to deal with the effects, and has the tools to make the most out of his life; and hope Miller for that matter makes the most of his life in eventually realizing what he did was wrong, and hopefully makes an effort to somehow make up for it.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Some fool(s) in the Bruins FO clearly mis-gauged the public reaction to this. This has been top news on CNN, the NY Post, FoxNews and most other media outlets. The social media reaction has been an onslaught. There is no way they would have done this if they knew this reaction would ensue.

Sweeney is actually very bright, not just for a hockey player, and comes from a family of educators. I don't think it is him. I'm confident that a bunch of life-long puckheads in hockey operations/front office are responsible for this. Some guy(s) who know nothing in life besides hockey and assume all people think the way they do.

The problem for Sweeney/Neely is that I don't see a way out. I think their only hope is to try to proceed and make this work out somehow. I would get out and say he is not playing in the NHL year under any circumstances and that he is just being given a chance to prove himself and develop at the minor league level. Maybe move him in the offseason if that is possible.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
WCVB has this story in their top 4 stories on a Sunday which is usually more fluff than you get all week.

If they can’t get out of this easily then they can’t muzzle the broadcast. You screwed up royally and as media members, they need to be allowed to discuss it.

I hope the other media and 98.5 rip them for it.

It does sound like Bergeron and the team has shut down this from being brought up and that is fair and must be respected.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Still hate this move as much as the moment it got done.

They did permanent damage to reputation of Boston Bruins with this move.

No more can they pride themselves in the values they say they do.
They are just words without meaning

Nah. It’s not that bad. They signed a f*** up. Other teams were interested in said f*** up. It was a brutal decision but give me a break with this overreactive stuff.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

It's a PR Nightmare.
Thank you for the response. I think the Bruins should just step back now and let the league do what they are going to doing and let Miller work tirelessly at what he needs to do to redeem himself as a person, not a hockey player. When he puts the work in, makes amends, and the NHL feels he is allowed to play, go from there. He may never be forgiven, but he needs to put real effort into asking for it.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

It's a PR Nightmare.

Are they able to waive him, or does that only work with someone actively at the NHL level?

Release him but still pay out the contract terms?

I get that the PA has to do their thing and fight for him, but given the stink on it and that the PA represents all players - many who we know aren’t in favor - do they have any ability to basically say sorry dude, we don’t want you?

If Lord Gary declares him ineligible and the AHL goes along with that ruling…what the hell does that mean?

The kid isn’t living in a cave. At a certain point I’d love him to say he’s seen the outrage, understands that he hasn’t done enough growth yet, and offer to walk/agree to terminate. I’m not holding my breath but you want to show some growth/acceptance of consequences? That’s a great start. Then buy a ticket to Russia and sss if a KHL team will take a crack.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Thank you for the response. I think the Bruins should just step back now and let the league do what they are going to doing and let Miller work tirelessly at what he needs to do to redeem himself as a person, not a hockey player. When he puts the work in, makes amends, and the NHL feels he is allowed to play, go from there. He may never be forgiven, but he needs to put real effort into asking for it.
his agent probably advised him to not say anything at this point

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
And the PA is now all in on this and there will be no easy out.
Yeah setting the precedent to allow teams to terminate contracts unilaterally is not something they are going to let happen without a fight. In the Richards case there was a "breach" of the contract. Same as in Dotchin. Here we have a team just having buyer's remorse. Miller hasn't breached his contract in the last 3 days. They could try loaning him to Europe and then buy him out in June, I guess.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Are they able to waive him, or does that only work with someone actively at the NHL level?
No. He's not eligible for regular waivers. Teams can waive a non-waiver eligible player with his permission if both parties agree, as a step to mutual termination.
Release him but still pay out the contract terms?
Nope. Can't be released at this point.
I get that the PA has to do their thing and fight for him, but given the stink on it and that the PA represents all players - many who we know aren’t in favor - do they have any ability to basically say sorry dude, we don’t want you?
No. The union is not going to allow owners to get out of contracts because of publicity. Horrible precedent that no union would or should ever allow.
If Lord Gary declares him ineligible and the AHL goes along with that ruling…what the hell does that mean?
That's a good question. I'm not where Gary is even getting this from, but I know commissioners have broad powers. If this were to happen he could be loaned to a club in Europe or in another minor league.
The kid isn’t living in a cave. At a certain point I’d love him to say he’s seen the outrage, understands that he hasn’t done enough growth yet, and offer to walk/agree to terminate. I’m not holding my breath but you want to show some growth/acceptance of consequences? That’s a great start. Then buy a ticket to Russia and sss if a KHL team will take a crack.
So it's up to him to let the B's front office off the hook for a decision they willingly made? Sweeney and Neely should show growth and accept the consequences of their actions as well. They signed a contract. They know the CBA. They need to deal with the fallout.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Continued from

How we got here.

A little after Noontime on Friday the Bruins sent out this media alert by email

BRUINS SIGN MITCHELL MILLER TO ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

BOSTON -
Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, November 4, that the team has signed defenseman Mitchell Miller to an entry-level contract.

“When I was in eighth grade, I made an extremely poor decision and acted very immaturely,” said Miller. “I bullied one of my classmates. I deeply regret the incident and have apologized to the individual. Since the incident, I have come to better understand the far-reaching consequences of my actions that I failed to recognize and understand nearly seven years ago. I strive to be a better person and positively contribute to society. As a member of the Bruins organization, I will continue to participate in community programs to both educate myself and share my mistakes with others to show what a negative impact those actions can have on others. To be clear, what I did when I was 14 years old was wrong and unacceptable. There is no place in this world for being disrespectful to others and I pledge to use this opportunity to speak out against mistreating others.”

“Representing the Boston Bruins is a privilege we take seriously as an organization,” said Bruins President Cam Neely. “Respect and integrity are foundational character traits we expect of our players and staff. Prior to signing Mitchell, our Hockey Operations and Community Relations groups spent time with him over the last few weeks to better understand who he is as an individual and learn more about a significant mistake he made when he was in middle school. During this evaluation period, Mitchell was accountable for his unacceptable behavior and demonstrated his commitment to work with multiple organizations and professionals to further his education and use his mistake as a teachable moment for others. The expectation is that he will continue this important educational work with personal development and community programs as a member of the Bruins organization.”

Sweeney will be available to media today via Zoom at 1 pm ET.

Miller will report to the Providence Bruins and be available to media in person today following the team’s practice at Schneider Arena at Providence College at 12 pm ET.

Address: 331 Huxley Ave., Providence, RI 02908

Miller, 20, skated in 60 games with the Tri-City Storm of the USHL in 2021-22, recording 39 goals and 44 assists for 83 points with a plus-43 rating. The 5-foot-10, 189-pound blueliner was named the USHL’s Player of the Year and Defenseman of the Year after the season in which he set league records for goals and points by a defenseman. Miller has appeared in 154 career USHL games with Tri-City and Cedar Rapids from 2017-22, totaling 51 goals and 82 assists for 133 points with a plus-54 rating. The Sylvania, Ohio native was originally selected by the Arizona Coyotes in the fourth round (111th overall) of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

#11/04/22#

This was also posted on the Bruins website and Twitter and was then deleted from the website.

Sweeney then had an awkward zoom about an hour later.

Boston TV stations all jumped on the story.

Saturday in Finland Lord Bettman made it clear he was not happy with what the Bruins had done but I think he was angrier about being caught flatfooted.

The Brui​

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
I doubted heads would roll for this terrible, tone deaf, soul-crushing decision until Bettman announced that this kid is ineligible to play in the NHL. Neglecting to have that discussion with the league before finalizing the contract and making public announcement is beyond inept, certainly that part should rest with Charlie and probably Cam. Maybe that is the “oops” that lets the Bruins ship him to some team in Europe?

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
No. He's not eligible for regular waivers. Teams can waive a non-waiver eligible player with his permission if both parties agree, as a step to mutual termination.

Nope. Can't be released at this point.

No. The union is not going to allow owners to get out of contracts because of publicity. Horrible precedent that no union would or should ever allow.

That's a good question. I'm not where Gary is even getting this from, but I know commissioners have broad powers. If this were to happen he could be loaned to a club in Europe or in another minor league.

So it's up to him to let the B's front office off the hook for a decision they willingly made? Sweeney and Neely should show growth and accept the consequences of their actions as well. They signed a contract. They know the CBA. They need to deal with the fallout.

I agree it’s a terrible precedent, but this is also a unique situation. The kid hasn’t set foot on AHL/NNL ice yet. There are - recent - human rights violations in question. Other members of the union have publicly stated they aren’t ok with this…does the PA have any obligation to protect them and their interests?

Precedent or not, almost anything is on the table if you look hard enough for a loophole/narrative.

And, no, he shouldn’t have to bail the team out. But saying he’s heard what the fans have said and, more importantly, that well-respected veterans such as Bergeron, Marchand, and Foligno have said about questioning his character and if he’d be accepted in the room…makes me realize I haven’t done as much work as I need to I. Order to realize this dream blah blah blah.

All long shots, but I’m spitballing and trying to think of alternatives.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
Do you foresee any front office repercussions for this.

Surely this isn't a good looking for anyone.
It sure isn't. There's no easy way "out" at all. I guess they could release him, but they're on the hook for $2.5 mil, no? An expensive lesson. Personally, if one or both of Sweeney/Neely don't suffer any consequences, then I'd like to at least see them sitting side by side and own it in a news conference; and admit that this was a bad mistake, no "word crafting", explain what the hell you were thinking. Probably never happen, but...

To see how much of a "bad look" this is for the Bruins, step away from our board, and go to the main board, go to twitter, sports websites, etc. and read the comments. It's tarnished the organization and league for sure. Anyway, I assume we'll hear something within the next few days, whether that is a feeble attempt at damage control or something more signifcant, we'll see.

Have good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad