Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Continued from

How we got here.

A little after Noontime on Friday the Bruins sent out this media alert by email

BRUINS SIGN MITCHELL MILLER TO ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

BOSTON -
Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, November 4, that the team has signed defenseman Mitchell Miller to an entry-level contract.

“When I was in eighth grade, I made an extremely poor decision and acted very immaturely,” said Miller. “I bullied one of my classmates. I deeply regret the incident and have apologized to the individual. Since the incident, I have come to better understand the far-reaching consequences of my actions that I failed to recognize and understand nearly seven years ago. I strive to be a better person and positively contribute to society. As a member of the Bruins organization, I will continue to participate in community programs to both educate myself and share my mistakes with others to show what a negative impact those actions can have on others. To be clear, what I did when I was 14 years old was wrong and unacceptable. There is no place in this world for being disrespectful to others and I pledge to use this opportunity to speak out against mistreating others.”

“Representing the Boston Bruins is a privilege we take seriously as an organization,” said Bruins President Cam Neely. “Respect and integrity are foundational character traits we expect of our players and staff. Prior to signing Mitchell, our Hockey Operations and Community Relations groups spent time with him over the last few weeks to better understand who he is as an individual and learn more about a significant mistake he made when he was in middle school. During this evaluation period, Mitchell was accountable for his unacceptable behavior and demonstrated his commitment to work with multiple organizations and professionals to further his education and use his mistake as a teachable moment for others. The expectation is that he will continue this important educational work with personal development and community programs as a member of the Bruins organization.”

Sweeney will be available to media today via Zoom at 1 pm ET.

Miller will report to the Providence Bruins and be available to media in person today following the team’s practice at Schneider Arena at Providence College at 12 pm ET.

Address: 331 Huxley Ave., Providence, RI 02908

Miller, 20, skated in 60 games with the Tri-City Storm of the USHL in 2021-22, recording 39 goals and 44 assists for 83 points with a plus-43 rating. The 5-foot-10, 189-pound blueliner was named the USHL’s Player of the Year and Defenseman of the Year after the season in which he set league records for goals and points by a defenseman. Miller has appeared in 154 career USHL games with Tri-City and Cedar Rapids from 2017-22, totaling 51 goals and 82 assists for 133 points with a plus-54 rating. The Sylvania, Ohio native was originally selected by the Arizona Coyotes in the fourth round (111th overall) of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

#11/04/22#

This was also posted on the Bruins website and Twitter and was then deleted from the website.

Sweeney then had an awkward zoom about an hour later.

Boston TV stations all jumped on the story.

Saturday in Finland Lord Bettman made it clear he was not happy with what the Bruins had done but I think he was angrier about being caught flatfooted.

The Bruins have an off day on Sunday so I don't expect any news from the team until Monday morning.

We all know the Bruins flunked PR 101 decades ago but to tell the NESN on-air staff not to talk about it was the worst option available to them. I understand why Sweeney declined to be on Hockey Night In Canada but he certainly should have appeared on NESN where the talent would not be in attack dog mode. The same applies to Cameron and for that matter Charlie Jacobs. Management asked for player feedback and IGNORED their concerns.

The timing of this signing shows how clueless the Bruins' brain trust is as you don't announce a signing this volatile when the team is in TORONTO which is ground zero for hockey media.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Monday morning. Please just cut bait and move on. This is a circus we didn't need. Let another team deal with this headache and redemption act. It's overshadowing our current team and we just didn't need to do it.

Cut bait. Tell him toodles!

Miller will never play a game as a Boston Bruin.

The next domino will be played by the Jacobs family. A few years ago Jeremy and Margaret Jacobs signed over ownership of the Bruins to their 6 children.

Jeremy "Jerry" Maurice Jacobs Jr., co-CEO of Delaware North Companies. In 1990, he married Alice Carroll French, an attorney.

Louis "Lou" Michael Jacobs, co-CEO of Delaware North. In 1989, Louis married Joan Babcook in Buffalo.

Charles "Charlie" Marvin Jacobs, CEO of Delaware North's Boston Holdings. In 1999, Charlie married Kimberly Diane Warren, a model and actress.

Margaret Lynn Jacobs, account executive at Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith in New York. In 1986, she married John Bartlett Reichenbach of Carlisle, Massachusetts.

Katie Louise Jacobs married James D. Robinson IV in 1992.

Lisann Jane Jacobs married John Victor Holten in Buffalo, New York in 1983. They divorced; Lisann Jacobs is married to Dr. Bruce Platt.

Charlie as the youngest son was given the Boston operation, his 2 older brothers run Delaware North. Charlie did develop the Hub on Causeway but COVID has made that more challenging and he did botch the replacement seating at TD Garden 3 years ago.

I just want to know who gave the order that NESN talent could not discuss the Miller signing.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm looking at tickets to Mondays game. Feel like it will feel good to partake in the fire Sweeney/Neely chants. I was eyeing the game anyway to see the Pooh Bear back on ice.

Monday morning. Please just cut bait and move on. This is a circus we didn't need. Let another team deal with this headache and redemption act. It's overshadowing our current team and we just didn't need to do it.

At this point it's management that we need to cut bait with. The damage is done. They screwed up, the public has spoken, it's time to face the consequences.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Fenway do you think the gag order extends to off-NESN activities? I could see Raycroft and Jaffe doing an excellent job with this on their podcast.
@Kate08 - I honestly don't know.

Sweeney was so uncomfortable in his Zoom with media that you could sense he had reservations over this. The initial PR release quoted Cam and not Don.

The kicker is Bettman was blindsided by this signing.

Cam and Charlie are the targets now. Charlie at worse will be reassigned to another part of Delaware North. If Cam gets fired where does he go?

I am more concerned that NESN ignored the story.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Still hate this move as much as the moment it got done.

They did permanent damage to reputation of Boston Bruins with this move.

No more can they pride themselves in the values they say they do.
They are just words without meaning

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Sweeney was so uncomfortable in his Zoom with media that you could sense he had reservations over this. The initial PR release quoted Cam and not Don.

Cam and Charlie are the targets now. Charlie at worse will be reassigned to another part of Delaware North. If Cam gets fired where does he go?

So are you saying Don wanted nothing to do with this? I find that hard to believe if so.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
ok these takes are so ridiculous. nobody is doomed. the sun rose today
I don’t know of that was a take as much as it was a flight comment to add brevity. I don’t think there was any indication that the poster really believed a curse was set.

I will say that I’m guessing you will consider my take ridiculous. I’m done with the Bruins until something changes. I don’t know if I’ll be rooting for a new team or not. But I won’t support this organization until M Miller is gone or the victims family reverses the statements they have made.

Look if he offered 25% to fight bullying and 25% to the victim, I’m still not sure I could buy in but Miller has sacrificed nothing.

ok these takes are so ridiculous. nobody is doomed. the sun rose today
I don’t know of that was a take as much as it was a flight comment to add brevity. I don’t think there was any indication that the poster really believed a curse was set.

I will say that I’m guessing you will consider my take ridiculous. I’m done with the Bruins until something changes. I don’t know if I’ll be rooting for a new team or not. But I won’t support this organization until M Miller is gone or the victims family reverses the statements they have made.

Look if he offered 25% to fight bullying and 25% to the victim, I’m still not sure I could buy in but Miller has sacrificed nothing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

To answer @Kate08 question I'm going to ask today (not going to name anyone here as I know the Bruins have eyes here and I don't want to get anyone in trouble) to see if and who issued a gag order and whether it extends outside NESN for the personalities.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Do you really think the old man would reassign Charlie, and with whom would he be replaced?

I am not surprised in the least that NESN made no mention of the Miller signing. Why would they?

Time for the Bruins to peel out and move on from this as fast as possible.

I think Miller’s gone by the end of the day today.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I dont really believe youre done with the Bruins but I understand the protest

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

How do you cut bait? You can't buy a contract out outside the regular buyout window. He'd have to mutually agree to terminate. Unless Bettman gives them an out...

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I would like to know how this whole situation was allowed to fester and grow for 7 years.

Where were the parents on both sides? How long did Isaiah's parents know this was happening? Did they contact school officials and police? If they contacted school officials, is this an epic fail on their part to underestimate the situation and not follow through? What steps were taken? Did police do anything before the event that resulted in arrests?

Where were Mitchell's parents? A 7 year old is not going to start this one their own.....I don't think anyone is a born racist and it's a learned behavior. Was there mental/physical abuse at home? Home of Mitchell's friend? As someone said, the abused often become abusers.

I feel that both of them were let down by the adults that could have helped prevent such a terrible situation from ever happening.

If you are in a position of authority, and even a parent, please get help for your kids when you notice they are either a victim or a bully. And don't stop until someone listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad