Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
It's funny that a PANEL OF HOCKEY EXPERTS have stated that Marner's hockey IQ is completely on another level. They never say that about Aho, have your eyes tested!
Well what have they stated about aho?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Because eye test says so. He has more tools on the offense and he will be better player now and future

What eye test, lol. You’re a Laine homer, so in addition to catching Winnipeg games you catch Carolina games AND Leafs games, all in the middle of the night? How do you manage the Carolina/Leafs games when they can often be playing at the same time?

You don’t watch Marner because he’s not Finnish, and because you are so incredibly biased the results of your eye-test means shit to anybody but you, as it’s an artifact of your bias.

Reactions: thunder16

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
We well see which one turns out to be the better player.

Why don't you grow up and start enjoying the game instead of antagonizing people with your'e stupid polls to try and prove which player is better than who, especially since all your polls involve leaf players, oh that's right you don't cheer for teams you cheer for players. Again Mathews is better than Laine!!!!!!! the eye test proves it so no matter what the hell you say.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Nothing that's the point they don't mention him at all!
Well that should tell you something...aho plays in a small market away from the spotlights hence he will be more unknown to people not watching him....his strongest weapon is actually his IQ.

Here is his draft profile from eliteprospects

"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A super smart two-way player with excellent instincts. Primarily a playmaker, Aho relies on his hockey IQ and has the ability to dictate the pace of the game with the puck. Always calm and in control, Aho is a good skater who positions himself well and has the skill-set to handle all on-ice situations. Aho has experience as both center and winger. (Matias Strozyk, 2016)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Well that should tell you something...aho plays in a small market away from the spotlights hence he will be more unknown to people not watching him....his strongest weapon is actually his IQ.

"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A super smart two-way player with excellent instincts. Primarily a playmaker, Aho relies on his hockey IQ and has the ability to dictate the pace of the game with the puck. Always calm and in control, Aho is a good skater who positions himself well and has the skill-set to handle all on-ice situations. Aho has experience as both center and winger. (Matias Strozyk, 2016)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Maybe you should look up Marner there are Novels written about him! Hey don't get me wrong I really like Aho and the leaf management had him on their radar to draft him. would have loved him on the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Here is what was said about Marner from the same website.

Mitchell Marner

A dynamic offensive forward that backchecks hard and establishes his presence through playing smart, puck-possession hockey. A very quick skater gifted with great hands and hockey sense. Battles hard in all three zones and shows a willingness to do whatever it takes to get the puck to the back of the net; an unselfish player. Embodies the definition of a dynamic number-generating machine who makes the players around him better. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)

Reactions: thunder16

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Maybe you should look up Marner there are Novels written about him! Hey don't get me wrong I really like Aho and the leaf management had him on their radar to draft him. would have loved him on the Leafs.

I know...which is my point exactly...one is more known and talked about which makes gauging players hard unless you actually watch both.
Here is what was said about Marner from the same website.

Mitchell Marner

Yep, pretty similar to Ahos draft profile too.

Anyway if it wasent clear from my previous comments i cant pick one or the other they are super close in my opinion except marners rookie season which puts hin slightly ahead going by production otherwise they are looking to be neck and neck to me.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I know...which is my point exactly...one is more known and talked about which makes gauging players hard unless you actually watch both.

Yep, pretty similar to Ahos draft profile too.

Anyway if it wasent clear from my previous comments i cant pick one or the other they are super close in my opinion except marners rookie season which puts hin slightly ahead going by production otherwise they are looking to be neck and neck to me.

Pretty much the same, I prefer Marner because he was the player I wanted the Leafs to draft, but if Marner didn't fall to the Leafs Aho would have been a great pick for the Leafs.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Pretty much the same, I prefer Marner because he was the player I wanted the Leafs to draft, but if Marner didn't fall to the Leafs Aho would have been a great pick for the Leafs.
Leafs could of had both. They picked dermott one pick ahead of aho

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs could of had both. They picked dermott one pick ahead of aho
I don't think the Leafs were interested in Aho. I remember reading that they wanted to get Dermott which they did in the 2nd round at 34th overall, however they were also interested in Joel Eriksson Ek since they had another 1st round pick from Nashville. However once he got selected 20th overall is when Kyle Dubas started to trade down with the Flyers at #24 and trade down again to #29, eventually trading out of the 1st round with that pick.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not exactly rambling, just saw bunch of people getting mad for a dumb post.

I congratulate you for winning the trigger happy award. :laugh:

well yes, you were rambling. exactly rambling. you made no sense. I commend you for recognizing that your post was dumb though.

I don't really see any "mad" leaf fans, unless you're referring to them being "mad"ly enjoying all of their success this year, and "mad"ly looking forward to the playoffs and coming years. you must have been referri g to that?

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I don't think the Leafs were interested in Aho. I remember reading that they wanted to get Dermott which they did in the 2nd round at 34th overall, however they were also interested in Joel Eriksson Ek since they had another 1st round pick from Nashville. However once he got selected 20th overall is when Kyle Dubas started to trade down with the Flyers at #24 and trade down again to #29, eventually trading out of the 1st round with that pick.
Aho was picked in the second round...and was quickly determined one of the steals of the draft (once he had the wjc tourney with laine winning gold)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Aho was picked in the second round...and was quickly determined one of the steals of the draft (once he had the wjc tourney with laine winning gold)
I know he was picked in the second round, however my point is the Leafs were not interested in him and I already explained who they might have wanted if they kept the first round pick from Nashville.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
pretty happy about dermott too now that you bring him up. :D
Yeah he looks to be the real deal. I used to think it was a mistake not to pick aho but seeing dermott i think i can forgive the leafs....altho with aho on that team their offense would be even better which is hard to imagine..

Aho could be matthews winger with nylander :/

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I know he was picked in the second round, however my point is the Leafs were not interested in him and I already explained who they might have wanted if they kept the first round pick from Nashville.
Yeah needed defenseman more than winger i believe

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah he looks to be the real deal. I used to think it was a mistake not to pick aho but seeing dermott i think i can forgive the leafs....altho with aho on that team their offense would be even better which is hard to imagine..

Aho could be matthews winger with nylander :/
Maybe one day we can see Kasperi Kapanen fill that role.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah needed defenseman more than winger i believe
That's correct because the debate when they selected 4th overall is do they select Marner or Noah Hanifin for their defense. So the way I see it the Leafs got the best of both words selecting both Marner and Dermott in the same draft.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Sure i can post some.

Marner vs Aho

Toi: 897 vs 918 (minutes)

Goals: 12 vs 16
Assists: 18 vs 20
Primary points: 22 vs 29
P/60: 2.01 vs 2.35

Cf/ca/cf% = 912/828/52.41% vs 955/825/53.65

Wont post the cf relative to teammates as you already did...looks like marners line has let up 3 more chances in less time tho..hence why its a bit shady to use rel stats like that ill show you why here.

Gf/ga/gf% = 40/40/50% vs 44/41/51,76%

GF relative to teammates = -5.14 vs +8.91

Because matthews is on the leafs that wrecks marners relgf%, staal is carolinas matthews in the cf department his numbers wreck ahos in relative to teammate
,atleast thats how i think it works, the xgf% seems off aswell.

Xgf%= +4.52 vs -2.36.

Anyways for some defensive stats here are their chances against.

Their ca/60 are as follows

Marner
Ca/60 = 55.38

Aho
Ca/60 = 53.92

So at 5v5 aho seems a bit more effective while i cant really see any huge differences in defensive numbers altho this too seems to favor aho.

Aho faces significantly tougher competion altho i dont think that really makes a big difference.

In relation to their team marners is actually doing better defensively as they bleed less chances against compared to matthews line (matthews ca/60 is a whopping 62.04...823 chances against in 796 minutes he was in the 60's his rookie season too)

Anyways i dont know if any of this made us any smarter what do you say?
This was a really good post that everyone seemed to ignore.

I'd still probably go Marner by a hair, but I will give you the props for making a good argument that nobody else seems to want to.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
This was a really good post that everyone seemed to ignore.

I'd still probably go Marner by a hair, but I will give you the props for making a good argument that nobody else seems to want to.
Thansk, i could have constructed it nicer but was a bit on the rush. Anyways thanks again

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aho is literally carrying the Hurricanes, Marner is behind the HUGE shadow of Matthews in a rather comfortably role. Aho is way, way better AINEC.

Right, it's Marner's fault that Carolina doesn't know how to draft or sign good forwards.

What kind of logic is this? Aho doesn't even have more points despite playing 2 more minutes per game this year and despite him missing 5 more games than Mitch, he has still played 50 more minutes (so nearly an entire game). He also gets 40 more seconds of PP time per game and has played nearly 30 more minutes on the PP than Mitch this year.

He also had the worse rookie year, so there's no argument to be had there.

There is no actual argument to be made for him being better, Marner was drafted higher and has performed at a higher level at every step of the way.

What does Carolina's ability (or lack thereof) to "draft or sign good forwards" have to do with Auston Matthews? It isn't as if Toronto signed him or had a difficult decision to make in drafting him.

Did you mean that Carolina needs to be more lucky in the Draft Lottery?

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
They lose every game, where's he carrying them?

Almost to the playoffs. Without Aho (or if Marner was playing there instead of him) they would be a complete bottom feeder instead of competing for the playoffs spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad