Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Does somebody want to actually post some stats about Aho's defense compared to Marner's? Or are you all just going to keep spouting off about how "Aho's better defensively" as if it isn't the lamest excuse to separate wingers ever. At 5on5 Marner has better corsi relative to his teammates (+4.02 to -1.11), better xGA/60 (2.35 to 2.44) and is far better at takeaways (61 to 43). Aho has some stronger raw numbers due to his much higher ice time (20 minutes more in 4 less games played). Those defensive numbers also include Marner's time playing on a line with Bozak and JVR, two notorious defensive black holes. Aho plays with Jordan Staal. Aho plays against the tougher competition, which makes his results quite impressive, but there is very little to show that he's actually better than Marner defensively.

There, that's my completely and utterly cherry picked set of stats. Now show me yours and we'll actually have a real discussion, not just a bunch of bs.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think it´s Marner now but Aho in the future so i voted Aho. Marner is really good though so i might be wrong. For this season Aho had a really bad start but has gotten hotter if i don´t remember it wrong.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Does somebody want to actually post some stats about Aho's defense compared to Marner's? Or are you all just going to keep spouting off about how "Aho's better defensively" as if it isn't the lamest excuse to separate wingers ever. At 5on5 Marner has better corsi relative to his teammates (+4.02 to -1.11), better xGA/60 (2.35 to 2.44) and is far better at takeaways (61 to 43). Aho has some stronger raw numbers due to his much higher ice time (20 minutes more in 4 less games played). Those defensive numbers also include Marner's time playing on a line with Bozak and JVR, two notorious defensive black holes. Aho plays with Jordan Staal. Aho plays against the tougher competition, which makes his results quite impressive, but there is very little to show that he's actually better than Marner defensively.

There, that's my completely and utterly cherry picked set of stats. Now show me yours and we'll actually have a real discussion, not just a bunch of bs.
Sure i can post some.

Marner vs Aho

Toi: 897 vs 918 (minutes)

Goals: 12 vs 16
Assists: 18 vs 20
Primary points: 22 vs 29
P/60: 2.01 vs 2.35

Cf/ca/cf% = 912/828/52.41% vs 955/825/53.65

Wont post the cf relative to teammates as you already did...looks like marners line has let up 3 more chances in less time tho..hence why its a bit shady to use rel stats like that ill show you why here.

Gf/ga/gf% = 40/40/50% vs 44/41/51,76%

GF relative to teammates = -5.14 vs +8.91

Because matthews is on the leafs that wrecks marners relgf%, staal is carolinas matthews in the cf department his numbers wreck ahos in relative to teammate
,atleast thats how i think it works, the xgf% seems off aswell.

Xgf%= +4.52 vs -2.36.

Anyways for some defensive stats here are their chances against.

Their ca/60 are as follows

Marner
Ca/60 = 55.38

Aho
Ca/60 = 53.92

So at 5v5 aho seems a bit more effective while i cant really see any huge differences in defensive numbers altho this too seems to favor aho.

Aho faces significantly tougher competion altho i dont think that really makes a big difference.

In relation to their team marners is actually doing better defensively as they bleed less chances against compared to matthews line (matthews ca/60 is a whopping 62.04...823 chances against in 796 minutes he was in the 60's his rookie season too)

Anyways i dont know if any of this made us any smarter what do you say?

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
How exactly do you think Aho "creates more offense" when he has less points, but gets more playing time?
Their cf/60 is too even to really say one over the other

Marner cf/60 = 61.00
Aho cf/60 = 62.83

Almost 2 chances more for aho...per hour playtime xD but yeah even that goes to aho ststistically...doesnt mean the quality of chances are better tho something you just need to see

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Why almost all these polls are about Leafs players and surprisingly all the Leaf homers are voting for their player. :rolleyes:

Like Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Andersen and Rielly are the best players in the league if I need somehow make notes about these "polls". How come they aren't Stanley Cup champions already.

Blame the Finnish poster who’s out to prove that every Finnish player is better than his Leaf comparable

Reactions: Sundinisagod

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Why almost all these polls are about Leafs players and surprisingly all the Leaf homers are voting for their player. :rolleyes:

Like Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Andersen and Rielly are the best players in the league if I need somehow make notes about these "polls". How come they aren't Stanley Cup champions already.
well no one has said these are the best players in the league. thats just you making things up. they are most certainly one of the best collections of young players in the league. I can't see how anyone would argue that.

is there a single player over 25 playing a key role f9r the leafs? maybe kadri and he's probably 5th in the pecking order for the leafs.

is there another team that can say they are top 10 in the league and their entire core is under 30? almost entirely under 25? I don't think so.

so, to be clear, you're making things up when you say anyone has claimed the players you mentioned are all the best players in the league. but as a whole they make up one of, if not THE best collection of young players in the league. I'm sorry that stings you so badly. well no. not sorry. it's actually quite entertaining.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
well no one has said these are the best players in the league. thats just you making things up. they are most certainly one of the best collections of young players in the league. I can't see how anyone would argue that.

is there a single player over 25 playing a key role f9r the leafs? maybe kadri and he's probably 5th in the pecking order for the leafs.

is there another team that can say they are top 10 in the league and their entire core is under 30? almost entirely under 25? I don't think so.

so, to be clear, you're making things up when you say anyone has claimed the players you mentioned are all the best players in the league. but as a whole they make up one of, if not THE best collection of young players in the league. I'm sorry that stings you so badly. well no. not sorry. it's actually quite entertaining.

Don't get triggered there. I start to feel bad that you get so emotional. :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Wow, this is a pretty dumb post. Congrats I guess, if that was the intent.

Reactions: Cotton and Kelly

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I'll take 117 points (.801 ppg) over 102 (0.694). Marner has played his best hockey going up against the other teams top lines since being played alongside Kadri. Clearly showing a good portion (most) of the defensive issues thought to surround Marner are from the defensively inept line mates (Bozak and JvR).

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I have them at the same tier. I voted Aho because of his vision and because making Teuvo Teräväinen an offensive threat. I hope Aho will get better teammates so we can get too see who really is better. I actually think their even atm.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
You mean ”Aho is Finnish”?
I'll never understand why anyone cares what nationality a player is. I could care less what race, nationality, sexual orientation etc... a player is. I care about whether or not they play for my team :laugh: and if they are good at playing hockey.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
triggered?

I stated facts in response to your rambling. and you clearly have no answers to what I said. you lose.
Not exactly rambling, just saw bunch of people getting mad for a dumb post.

I congratulate you for winning the trigger happy award. :laugh:

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
Aho is literally carrying the Hurricanes, Marner is behind the HUGE shadow of Matthews in a rather comfortably role. Aho is way, way better AINEC.

They lose every game, where's he carrying them?

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Because eye test says so. He has more tools on the offense and he will be better player now and future

It's funny that a PANEL OF HOCKEY EXPERTS have stated that Marner's hockey IQ is completely on another level. They never say that about Aho, have your eyes tested!

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
It's funny that a PANEL OF HOCKEY EXPERTS have stated that Marner's hockey IQ is completely on another level. They never say that about Aho, have your eyes tested!

We well see which one turns out to be the better player.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Because eye test says so. He has more tools on the offense and he will be better player now and future
Definitely not. You should look at Marner's ohl numbers and watch him on the ice. His offensive ceiling is insane.

Edit: you say he's gonna breakout, but when's that gonna happen? His shooting percentage is very high already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad