Injury Report: Mitchell Marner ankle injury (will miss at least 4 weeks)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Not that it means much unless it comes from Mitch or Dubie and I have only heard this from 3rd party sources around team but rumour is Mitch's agent had a few teams at around 10.6M per or the MAX amount teams could go without giving up 4 1st rounders. So to be fair maybe Dubie paid AAV a little more than that for goodwill to get a deal done. Of course the Leaf upfront $$$ is sweet too. But absolutely nothing from Paul or Mitch to anyone since he came back on ice. I was surprised myself to hear that on Saturday night. Likely Leafs did not overpay much on the market. Again big surprise to me too. But people talk so I would be shocked if Dubie did not know what was going on. The dude is pretty smart. and no GM gets every call right.

What was the term? Most likely the other teams wanted 7 years...the Leafs overpaid on a 6 year term...Marner's camp had already turned down the Leafs at $11 million per back in June on at least a 7 year deal, so I don't see why Marner's camp would sign an offersheet for $10.6 on a 7 year term...now if those teams were offering that kind of dough on a 5 year term...hmmm...which I don't think was happening.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I made a bet in 2017-2018, that Barzal would outproduce Marner in 2018-2019 ( including postseason). At the time I had no expectation that Tavares would be Marner's teammate and not Barzal's for 2018-2019.
I do not know which Leaf poster I bet with, but the loser had to donate $100 to the cancer society. So, the American Cancer Society got a $100 donation in honor of Mitch Leaf .
I hate losing a bet,but at least it went to a worthy cause.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
What was the term? Most likely the other teams wanted 7 years...the Leafs overpaid on a 6 year term...Marner's camp had already turned down the Leafs at $11 million per back in June on at least a 7 year deal, so I don't see why Marner's camp would sign an offersheet for $10.6 on a 7 year term...now if those teams were offering that kind of dough on a 5 year term...hmmm...which I don't think was happening.
No idea

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One stinking point gained since Marner went down. 0-4-1

They are pretty bad looking without Magic in the lineup.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Man we look good without him.

I know it isn’t that simplistic. Also true, if somehow we had won 3 in a row without him, his lame critics would be making the case.

The big guys are doing their job since he has been out Tavares,Nylander,Matthews. The rest is a black hole of nothingness! Reilly has been shooting lots with zip.

Yep we would be fine without him had we won

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
One stinking point gained since Marner went down. 0-4-1

They are pretty bad looking without Magic in the lineup.
Yup, We'd be better if we traded him for depth.

5m winger, 5m dman, 1m back up.

Injuries ain't shit. Look at the raptors losing what they did this summer and now look at their injuries.

Leafs need to stop being p***yes and win a f***ing game.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The entire team got worked last night

The Matthews line is the only line thats done anything 5v5 all season

We are just a poorly constructed team right now (which is not the same as bad) we have talent, but we also have ZERO support from the backend. They continually get hammered in their end, and rarely have the ability to make any kind of pass.

Now this also comes from the forwards being lazy at times, but a lot has to do with the coaching (schemes and positioning) and because of this the forwards never get the pucks in any kind of position of strength, and possession takes a hit. We are always chasing and trying to retrieve pucks that are dumped in.

Add no backup to this, and nothing really works.

And special teams are a whole other failure of coaching.

I don't love everything that Dubas does, and his contracts were not great (big 3) but he at least drafts well, and puts a lot of work into scouting.

We do need to change the coach, the team needs some new voices. Looks like they couldn't give a single shit about Babs yelling behind the bench.

Reactions: Kiwi

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Man we look good without him.

I know it isn’t that simplistic. Also true, if somehow we had won 3 in a row without him, his lame critics would be making the case.
At this point its clear he was underpaid relative to Matthews. Matthews should give up half a mill and Nylander the other half just to pay Marner more.:sarcasm:

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad