Value of: Mitch Marner

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If the Leafs want to really shake things up, trade Nylander and cash in on Rielly before he hits free agency. And then sign Pietrangelo. Very few teams would be able to take on Marner at his salary.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Stating Marners value is equal to Dumba is embarrassing

What? Marner is extremely dynamic offensively and its well known he’s not a goal scorer.

There are also many teams who would love to have Marner on their team at 10.9M AAV because he’s an extremely good hockey player
I didn’t say MM’s value was that of Dumba. I said MM plus 5 million in cap savings is (perhaps?) equal to Dumba. This flat cap era imo creates a lot of value in saving cap dollars. It’s the concept.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Stating Marners value is equal to Dumba is embarrassing

What? Marner is extremely dynamic offensively and its well known he’s not a goal scorer.

There are also many teams who would love to have Marner on their team at 10.9M AAV because he’s an extremely good hockey player

With Dumba's recent performance I wouldn't even trade Nylander for him unless there is more added from Minnesota.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I’ll be honest, as a Leaf fan I would trade Marner/Nylander (Full cap hit) for the best futures package we could get if it guarantees we get help on the back end.

Rielly - Pietrangelo
Muzzin - Holl

I don’t want to dick around with the Tavares/Matthews Combo, the time is now.

Oct 18, 2011
The Leafs need to shake things up in some way. By no means is it likely that Marner will be moved but I did read a blog suggesting a big return. I know he is a great player but his contract will be very difficult to ever live up to.

With the cap not likely to go up for 3 seasons what do we think the return for Marner (5yrs left at 10.89mil) could be?
In the current financial environment trading Marner makes no sense. You will never get close to equal value I dont see the point. The Leafs shouldn't be reactionary

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I mean, Kane is paid 10.5M AAV and doesn't play PK like Marner does. Not as good defensively as Marner either. Although he has had a couple of extremely good offensive seasons. I don't see anybody trying to trade Kane?

Twice Patrick Kane has posted more points in a single playoff than Marner has in his entire playoff career.

I wonder if that has something to do with his pay cheque.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They're not trading Marner. It makes far more sense in a number of ways to address the bottom two lines that are much easier to change and add whatever defensive improvement they can get first. Some of their issues may be solved in free agency which allows them to move out lower cap hit players for futures, or for a different guy making similar money.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
After Marner's first three playoff performances he had 17 points in 20 games, not bad for his first 3 years in the league, not as good as Kane's. I'm not saying Marner is the better player but they are very comparable and so is their contracts.

Very comparable?

In Patrick Kane's second trip to the post-season he scored 28 points.

And won the Cup.

You're embarrassing yourself with this comparison.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Dont Dubas trades Marner, and i think shanny will give dubas alot more time on the job before even thinking of firing him ( 3 more years i think) . The leafs are in a cap mess but as a fan you just gotta ride it out and enjoy that AM is a leaf :D

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No chance the Leafs trade Marner. The guy will get better and better as he gets stronger.
Didn’t Dubas basically promise AM, MM, and WN he wouldn’t trade them? I think if any of those three are traded, it won’t be Dubas pulling the trigger.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Very comparable?

In Patrick Kane's second trip to the post-season he scored 28 points.

And won the Cup.

You're embarrassing yourself with this comparison.
I’m not embarrassed at all. You’re talking about playoffs only, I’m talking about The first 4 years of their careers

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I’m not embarrassed at all. You’re talking about playoffs only, I’m talking about The first 4 years of their careers

Yeah, and in those first four years Kane had massive playoff performance and won the Stanley Cup.

Marner told reporters he "wasn't engaged" in the game.

Most fan bases really care about the hockey that happens *after* the regular season ends.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What are Leafs fans thoughts on trading Marner if they are able to get Taylor Hall for a discount (~8m)? He's on record saying he wants to go to playoff team and is willing to take less, Kingston is his hometown so he'd be near home. Marner doesn't have an NTC and could fetch a young defenseman or a huge haul in depth/futures. You'd still have Matthews and Tavares down the middle with Nylander/Hall on the wing, and a little more capspace to work with along with the pieces Marner returns.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Yeah, and in those first four years Kane had massive playoff performance and won the Stanley Cup.

Marner told reporters he "wasn't engaged" in the game.

Most fan bases really care about the hockey that happens *after* the regular season ends.
Fan bases don’t negotiate contracts

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Twice Patrick Kane has posted more points in a single playoff than Marner has in his entire playoff career.

I wonder if that has something to do with his pay cheque.
I don't see how that would be possible as this is the first year of the contract for Marner. I agree with Dubas on the people critical of Mitch Marner.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Didn’t Dubas basically promise AM, MM, and WN he wouldn’t trade them? I think if any of those three are traded, it won’t be Dubas pulling the trigger.
There was a reported promise to Nylander, but there is no trade protection for either of them at least not in the next couple of years.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Unfortunately for the Leafs because we all saw the overpayments that Dubas gave.
Of course the are overpaid.Athletes are overpaid compared to nurses, doctors, teachers ect. But you can't blam Dubas.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Of course the are overpaid.Athletes are overpaid compared to nurses, doctors, teachers ect. But you can't blam Dubas.
oh...you again.

You just can't accept that Dubas made:

Tavares the highest paid UFA
Matthews the 2nd highest paid player...and didn't get the term to go along with it
Marner the highest paid RFA winger...and 2nd highest paid winger overall

3 of the top 5 paid forwards in the entire league....are Leafs.
Only 2 of the top 19 paid players have contracts that are shorter than 7 years....and they are both Leafs.

But you can't blame Dubas?

youre-goddamn-right-i-did.gif

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What has that got to do with him getting stronger, and therefore "better" ?
No idea,I didn't mention strength, but I will speculate be since you asked. As Marner's strength increases he will get better. Like all players he will be working with a strength and conditioning coach, it is up to him to get better. He just turned 23 his body should still have room for development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad