Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Lol it's crazy how specific you need to be or else get ripped apart. If you mis say a word or 2 and it completely screws things up, some fans flip out.. cant say "leaf fans...." have to always say "some Leaf fans...."

Fans get real edgy when you arent specific... oops sorry I mean SOME fans get real edgy

You seem to be grasping the concept, :clap:, generalizations are pathetically weak arguing factors.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'd go with Rantanen, but as a Finn and Rantanen coming from my team TPS I am biased.

Marner has more skill, and is more capable of driving his own line. Rantanen is a beast in the corners and is the better goal scorer. If you don't take contracts into account, you can't go wrong with either one, and I think you can see that from their points production aside from their rookie season when Marner was much better (though Rantanen obviously played for that horrible Avs team). It's a matter of which style of player you need more: Rantanen is more of a power forward without the mean aspect of it, Marner is the playmaker.

When it comes to contracts the difference is not 1,5 million dollars and I know that Leafs fans agree with that one.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Why should I? You're all over this board with your Maple Leaf obsession. I have never seen you ever make a post that wasn't a reference to the team and it's fan base. Fatal Attraction.
Oh I get it now. You don’t go into any threads that aren’t leaf related. This board? Leaf obsession? Don’t you know that generalizations make pathetically weak arguing factors? I have no issue at all with many leaf fans, and I’ve told fellow jet fans they are ridiculous many times.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marner has more skill, and is more capable of driving his own line. Rantanen is a beast in the corners and is the better goal scorer. If you don't take contracts into account, you can't go wrong with either one, and I think you can see that from their points production aside from their rookie season when Marner was much better (though Rantanen obviously played for that horrible Avs team). It's a matter of which style of player you need more: Rantanen is more of a power forward without the mean aspect of it, Marner is the playmaker.

I think this kind of touches on how I see them. I think what Rantanen brings makes him the better complimentary player, in that his style probably would do a better job of supporting/supplementing elite players who want the puck on their stick. But I think Marner's better at being the guy who drives the offense for a line and has the puck on his stick the most.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Oh I get it now. You don’t go into any threads that aren’t leaf related. This board? Leaf obsession? Don’t you know that generalizations make pathetically weak arguing factors? I have no issue at all with many leaf fans, and I’ve told fellow jet fans they are ridiculous many times.

Yes some Jets fans are more than ridiculous many times. I generally cheer for them if they're not playing the Maple Leafs. I see that you are already implementing some of the wisdom I have imparted to you. Good for you! :phew:

btw - you are wrong about which threads I go onto, but that's okay. Let's focus on the headway you are making.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yes some Jets fans are more than ridiculous many times. I generally cheer for them if they're not playing the Maple Leafs. I see that you are already implementing some of the wisdom I have imparted to you. Good for you! :phew:

btw - you are wrong about which threads I go onto, but that's okay. Let's focus on the headway you are making.
I’m not sure what “wisdom” you’re talking about and you’re clearly just going around in circles now avoiding any sort of admission of hypocrisy.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I’m not sure what “wisdom” you’re talking about and you’re clearly just going around in circles now avoiding any sort of admission of hypocrisy.

Explain. I have been more than clear concise and complete in every single post. I sensed you lagging behind and was very proud of you when I detected some recognition of the premise. Rather than going backward, or dare I say staying stagnant, why don't we just appreciate the forward progress so far and keep it positive.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Explain. I have been more than clear concise and complete in every single post. I sensed you lagging behind and was very proud of you when I detected some recognition of the premise. Rather than going backward, or dare I say staying stagnant, why don't we just appreciate the forward progress so far and keep it positive.
Keep it positive? Nearly all of your posts are condescending nonsense. That’s enough of this conversation.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Keep it positive? Nearly all of your posts are condescending nonsense. That’s enough of this conversation.

I'm so sorry you feel that way, I really thought there were some forward steps being taken. Gosh darn anyhow! Don't worry I do understand, sometimes you have to take one step backward to take two going ahead. Don't get discouraged, we're confident in you. :jump:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well, I am a Leafs fan and I have never thought this nor said it = YES!!! Matthews is not as good as MacKinnon. Are you suggesting that every Leafs fan thought this? It is resoundingly dissappointing to continue hearing so many people that do not comprehend this fundamental reality.

Not every Leafs fan said this, but there are absolutely Leafs fans who have previously said and still do say this. It is not a straw man argument in the slightest and it's a valid question in the context of what it was being asked in response to.

One Leafs fan in this thread once said that not only was Matthews better than MacKinnon, but that he was not here to baby people and coddle their incorrect views. This statement was well received at the time it was made.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Not every Leafs fan said this, but there are absolutely Leafs fans who have previously said and still do say this. It is not a straw man argument in the slightest and it's a valid question in the context of what it was being asked in response to.

One Leafs fan in this thread once said that not only was Matthews better than MacKinnon, but that he was not here to baby people and coddle their incorrect views. This statement was well received at the time it was made.

The fan base of every single team has idiots.

The lumping of all fans within a fan base is bizarre and lazy.

The Maple Leafs Haters for whatever reason are rampant on this site.

They make stupider / just as stupid comments constantly.

It has reached epidemic levels.

It is becoming virtually not possible to have a logical reasonable mature and intelligent conversation.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The fan base of every single team has idiots.

The lumping of all fans within a fan base is bizarre and lazy.

The Maple Leafs Haters for whatever reason are rampant on this site.

They make stupider / just as stupid comments constantly.

It has reached epidemic levels.

It is becoming virtually not possible to have a logical reasonable mature and intelligent conversation.

So you're saying that if somebody says they're not here to baby people and coddle their wrong opinions, and that Matthews is better than MacKinnon, then that person is an idiot?

I really don't think anybody is lumping all fans within a fan base.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
More than the distance between he and Rantanen.
Rantanen is a good player but he is a step below Marner and every gm in the league know it. Raise the issue of contract if you want but the OP excluded that issue on this thread.
How is he a step below? Last season he paced for 96 points which is higher than Marner has ever gotten.

I'm sure you'll retort with "blah blah pace I want to look at actual points since Marner got 94". I'll remember that and next time a leaf fans tries to pace out Matthews totals we will just have to reference this thread.

Its so hypocritical. In the Matthews threads pace and goal scoring are the only things on the planet that matter. Then we have a 180 here where I see the same people using point totals as justifications for their biased opinions and discrediting the "pace" argument.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Within this very thread there is an explanation for this. It's not that hard to figure out if you focus really hard. Think Kippaddy Theorem. It's very similar to the Localization of Laplacian Eigenfunctions in Simple andIrregular Domains.
Buddy I majored in math, so I know your sentence is a sad attempt to seem smart by stringing together some terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad