Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Of course they aren’t equal to mackinnon. But to say that all of rantanens success is because he plays with Mackinnon is as disingenuous as me saying all of Marners success is because he plays with Tavares.
I never said all of Rantanen's success was a result of MacKinnon but playing with the 2nd best player in the league (arguably best in the playoffs) certainly doesn't hurt.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Ah so Leafs fans are not a collective brain set, but every other fan base combined is one?

LOL Your logic is ridiculous. No fan base in any sport is. Matter of fact there is nothing in life that is. Even Stalin had friends. I am not surprised you don't know this basic aspect of life.

I would ask how you came to this conclusion however I already know.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
So Leaf fans are finally willing to concede that Matthews isn't as good as Mackinnon?

Well, I am a Leafs fan and I have never thought this nor said it = YES!!! Matthews is not as good as MacKinnon. Are you suggesting that every Leafs fan thought this? It is resoundingly dissappointing to continue hearing so many people that do not comprehend this fundamental reality.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
LOL Your logic is ridiculous. No fan base in any sport is. Matter of fact there is nothing in life that is. Even Stalin had friends. I am not surprised you don't know this basic aspect of life.

I would ask how you came to this conclusion however I already know.
Ah so you felt the need to address the poster talking about the leaf fans that wanted to ship Marner out, but not the one that literally claimed all western Canada has a unified agenda against the leafs. Maybe your issue isn’t with someone generalizing fanbases then.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Ah so you felt the need to address the poster talking about the leaf fans that wanted to ship Marner out, but not the one that literally claimed all western Canada has a unified agenda against the leafs. Maybe your issue isn’t with someone generalizing fanbases then.

What are you talking about? I will eliminate your cockamamie and opposite of intelligent response by stating I am a Proud Prairie Boy [which makes me a Western Canadian for your information] and I am a Maple Leafs fan, hence your theory about this mass agenda is pure poppycock. Good luck.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What are you talking about? I will eliminate your cockamamie and opposite of intelligent response by stating I am a Proud Prairie Boy [which makes me a Western Canadian for your information] and I am a Maple Leafs fan, hence your theory about this mass agenda is pure poppycock. Good luck.
It wasn’t my theory. It was a leaf fans.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Was it every single Maple Leafs fan in the world? Is the fan base a collective singular thought mindset? Why did you believe this theory? If yes why? If no why not?
I didn’t believe it. Just curious why you felt the need to police a person for not even saying all leaf fans felt the same about Marner, but not the need to comment on a leaf fan that did say more than one fan base has a hive mind. Seems like it’s more about the jersey color than the principal

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I didn’t believe it. Just curious why you felt the need to police a person for not even saying all leaf fans felt the same about Marner, but not the need to comment on a leaf fan that did say more than one fan base has a hive mind. Seems like it’s more about the jersey color than the principal

What are you talking about? You will need to be more clear please.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
What are you talking about? You will need to be more clear please.
I find it incredibly ironic how many leaf fans feel the need to police people for saying “leaf fans” claiming they aren’t a hive mind. But have absolutely no issue with a fellow leaf fan, in the same thread saying that several fanbases are indeed a hive mind. Many of these same fans claim that there are so many leaf fans that that’s why some outrageous claims exist, yet if that was the case, then wouldn’t it also be the case that more leaf fans would call out their own compared to other fanbases? The numbers sure don’t hold up in that area and it’s pretty hypocritical.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Funny Leafs fans were ready to ship out Marner and have his head on a spike after the play in round but are now willing to die for him on the back of an HF poll.

It's not surprising though.. look at the old game day threads from those play ins and see how bad fans wanted Marner gone but say it would be impossible to move him with his contract. It's disgusting the grief he gets from his own fans.. but now the hype he is receiving from his fans is insane.

I truly dont know how his own fans feel about him. One shift they will give him away for water bottles and then next shift he is the greatest human alive

As for the poll, its VERY close for me but I give a very slight nod to Rantanen

Reactions: Dache

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

2017? ok... you should really disclose that my statement was during the three players first full NHL seasons over 3 years ago. My reputation took a hit.... good one.

Nylander is incredibly "talented"...he has a great shot, great wheels, great stick handling, and a great passer. His work ethic is what since 2017 everyone has soured on him.

I still would say Nylander is more "talented" than Marner but not better at this point, but he did inch closer this last season and may very well pass Marner. Draft year he was called the most talented, he won the world championship MVP.... i don't think it is laughable at all for someone to say Nylander is more talented than Marner.

I'm a leaf fan through and through and there have been times where I'm like Wow maybe I am wrong about Marner.... he might be an elite player! I don't know analytics...but from the eye test... i watch and I see a average breakaway speed, a player weak on the puck, a weak shot and a player who has always played with an elite goal scorer and I ask myself.... is this a sustainable player? I was asking these questions before the playoffs... where opposing players often caught him on the back check and also gave him room to shoot on the pp, while cutting passing lanes.

No question he is capable of "magic" but often between those magical plays... he also many times handed passes over to the opponent for odd man rushes the opposite way. I think about of the plays he makes would be shut down by certain coaches because they are high risk.... sure when they are completed they get everyone standing and your called magical and are trending. However when you don't make the sensational play and it ends up in your own net... your team suffers.

Like I said, I gladly gladly will eat crow on Marner but last year, most would agree that he did not cement himself as a player worthy of his contract.

How much more talented do you think Marner is than Nylander?

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
2017? ok... you should really disclose that my statement was during the three players first full NHL seasons over 3 years ago. My reputation took a hit.... good one.

Nylander is incredibly "talented"...he has a great shot, great wheels, great stick handling, and a great passer. His work ethic is what since 2017 everyone has soured on him.

I still would say Nylander is more "talented" than Marner but not better at this point, but he did inch closer this last season and may very well pass Marner. Draft year he was called the most talented, he won the world championship MVP.... i don't think it is laughable at all for someone to say Nylander is more talented than Marner.

I'm a leaf fan through and through and there have been times where I'm like Wow maybe I am wrong about Marner.... he might be an elite player! I don't know analytics...but from the eye test... i watch and I see a average breakaway speed, a player weak on the puck, a weak shot and a player who has always played with an elite goal scorer and I ask myself.... is this a sustainable player? I was asking these questions before the playoffs... where opposing players often caught him on the back check and also gave him room to shoot on the pp, while cutting passing lanes.

No question he is capable of "magic" but often between those magical plays... he also many times handed passes over to the opponent for odd man rushes the opposite way. I think about of the plays he makes would be shut down by certain coaches because they are high risk.... sure when they are completed they get everyone standing and your called magical and are trending. However when you don't make the sensational play and it ends up in your own net... your team suffers.

Like I said, I gladly gladly will eat crow on Marner but last year, most would agree that he did not cement himself as a player worthy of his contract.

How much more talented do you think Marner is than Nylander?
More than the distance between he and Rantanen.
Rantanen is a good player but he is a step below Marner and every gm in the league know it. Raise the issue of contract if you want but the OP excluded that issue on this thread.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, I am a Leafs fan and I have never thought this nor said it = YES!!! Matthews is not as good as MacKinnon. Are you suggesting that every Leafs fan thought this? It is resoundingly dissappointing to continue hearing so many people that do not comprehend this fundamental reality.

Clearly I'm referring to the ones who have said it.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Clearly I'm referring to the ones who have said it.

Lol it's crazy how specific you need to be or else get ripped apart. If you mis say a word or 2 and it completely screws things up, some fans flip out.. cant say "leaf fans...." have to always say "some Leaf fans...."

Fans get real edgy when you arent specific... oops sorry I mean SOME fans get real edgy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lol it's crazy how specific you need to be or else get ripped apart. If you mis say a word or 2 and it completely screws things up, some fans flip out.. cant say "leaf fans...." have to always say "some Leaf fans...."

Fans get real edgy when you arent specific... oops sorry I mean SOME fans get real edgy

The irony being that the term "Leaf hater" gets thrown around as though anyone who says something even remotely critical of the Leafs is all part of one hive mind that includes everyone that isn't a Leaf fan.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I find it incredibly ironic how many leaf fans feel the need to police people for saying “leaf fans” claiming they aren’t a hive mind. But have absolutely no issue with a fellow leaf fan, in the same thread saying that several fanbases are indeed a hive mind. Many of these same fans claim that there are so many leaf fans that that’s why some outrageous claims exist, yet if that was the case, then wouldn’t it also be the case that more leaf fans would call out their own compared to other fanbases? The numbers sure don’t hold up in that area and it’s pretty hypocritical.

The bottoming is precarious to the ledge and steep to the incline of any one of the rules of the Kippaddy Theorem which I'm sure you're familiar with especially with respect to any divide leaning to the exact same premise.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
It's not surprising though.. look at the old game day threads from those play ins and see how bad fans wanted Marner gone but say it would be impossible to move him with his contract. It's disgusting the grief he gets from his own fans.. but now the hype he is receiving from his fans is insane.

I truly dont know how his own fans feel about him. One shift they will give him away for water bottles and then next shift he is the greatest human alive

As for the poll, its VERY close for me but I give a very slight nod to Rantanen

Within this very thread there is an explanation for this. It's not that hard to figure out if you focus really hard. Think Kippaddy Theorem. It's very similar to the Localization of Laplacian Eigenfunctions in Simple andIrregular Domains.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The bottoming is precarious to the ledge and steep to the incline of any one of the rules of the Kippaddy Theorem which I'm sure you're familiar with especially with respect to any divide leaning to the exact same premise.
I see you have nothing meaningful to say on the topic then. Have a good day

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Within this very thread there is an explanation for this. It's not that hard to figure out if you focus really hard. Think Kippaddy Theorem. It's very similar to the Localization of Laplacian Eigenfunctions in Simple andIrregular Domains.
It’s not that hard to figure out if you focus really hard? I think you’re trying a bit to hard to sound smart that it’s no longer making sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad