Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I saw exactly what he was saying. However the fact is if you include their PPG during their 4 seasons in the NHL, Marner has the better career stats in that category,

Besides their rookie seasons when Marner was at 0.79 PPG and Rantanen 0.51 PPG if you don't include the 2020 playoffs, Marner's PPG in the 2019-20 regular season was 1.14 and Rantanen was at 0.98 PPG.
So you’re saying if you don’t include certain parts of their careers Marner has better numbers? And what about the fact that Rantanen is a better goal scorer? I’ve seen you mention how important goals are.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So you’re saying if you don’t include certain parts of their careers Marner has better numbers?
Since a players career PPG does not include their playoff stats I think that was a way to make Rantanen look better than Marner, why should it be ignored that in the 2019-20 season Marner's PPG was 1.14 and Rantanen's had a 0.98 PPG. There is a reason a website like Hockey Reference lists their career stats in the regular season stats and playoff stats into separate categories.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Since a players career PPG does not include their playoff stats I think that was a way to make Rantanen look better than Marner, why should it be ignored that in the 2019-20 season Marner's PPG was 1.14 and Rantanen's had a 0.98 PPG. There is a reason a website like Hockey Reference lists their career stats in the regular season stats and playoff stats into separate categories.
That season wasn’t ignored. It was included in the total numbers from that poster. You’re way of doing it was the one omitting games. And I ask again, what about goals?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That season wasn’t ignored. It was included in the total numbers from that poster. You’re way of doing it was the one omitting games. And I ask again, what about goals?
How was I omitting games? I clearly said that the regular season and playoffs are different categories for any players stats and it's the regular season that factors in their career number of goals, assists, points and what their career PPG will look like.

Also what about goals are you trying to say? I know that category Rantanen has had better numbers compared to Marner. However it's also known that Marner is a better play maker which he has got more assists compared to goals scored during his career.

However I was referring to their PPG and not specifically referring to either of their goal scoring ability's.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This is one of those spots where they're close enough that you cant really go wrong with either. I think the playoff numbers from Rantanen are impressive enough to give him the slight nod over Marner.

Now, adding contractual situations to each guy tilts it quite a bit into Rantanen's favor but without taking that into account it is close.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
How was I omitting games? I clearly said that the regular season and playoffs are different categories for any players stats and it's the regular season that factors in their career number of goals, assists, points and what their career PPG will look like.

Also what about goals are you trying to say? I know that category Rantanen has had better numbers compared to Marner. However it's also known that Marner is a better play maker which he has got more assists compared to goals scored during his career.

However I was referring to their PPG and not specifically referring to either of their goal scoring ability's.
You’re omitting games by saying playoffs shouldn’t be included. And in any Matthews thread if someone brings up total points you scream bloody murder about people ignoring goals, so why are you not mentioning the better goal scorer here?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’re omitting games by saying playoffs shouldn’t be included. And in any Matthews thread if someone brings up total points you scream bloody murder about people ignoring goals, so why are you not mentioning the better goal scorer here?
No you're wrong. I clearly said when you factor in a players PPG the only thing taken into account is their regular season stats.

That's why a website like Hockey Reference has separate categories for their regular season and playoff stats. Have you ever noticed they refer to it as NHL Miscellaneous if you want to look up their PPG and why in that section they only list their regular season totals.

I also said Rantanen has been the better goal scorer compared to Marner, so I have not ignored that.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Not including contracts? Mikko by a nose. Including contracts? Mikko by a longer nose.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
No you're wrong. I clearly said when you factor in a players PPG the only thing taken into account is their regular season stats.

That's why a website like Hockey Reference has separate categories for their regular season and playoff stats. Have you ever noticed they refer to it as NHL Miscellaneous if you want to look up their PPG and why in that section they only list their regular season totals.

I also said Rantanen has been the better goal scorer compared to Marner, so I have not ignored that.
So I’m your calculations of ppg you’re using all of the games each player has played in their career?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
For the last time a players PPG is calculated from their regular season games and not their playoff games.
I know that’s what you’re calculating. I’m saying that that’s not what that poster was saying. He was including all the games that these 2 players have played and you are not. Don’t act like you can’t have a ppg in the playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know that’s what you’re calculating. I’m saying that that’s not what that poster was saying. He was including all the games that these 2 players have played and you are not. Don’t act like you can’t have a ppg in the playoffs.
If that poster wants to include Rantanen's 2020 playoff stats with his 2019-20 PPG that's his choice. However the fact is that's still considered to be unofficial because you never see any websites like Hockey Reference include playoff stats with a players PPG stats from the regular season.

I also think that was done to make Rantanen look like the better player since Marner's PPG in the 2019-20 regular season was 1.14 and Rantanen's was at 0.98 PPG.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If that poster wants to include Rantanen's 2020 playoff stats with his 2019-20 PPG that's his choice.
Yeah it is and you are the one responding to it.
However the fact is that's still considered to be unofficial because you never see any websites like Hockey Reference include playoff stats with a players PPG stats from the regular season.
why would playoff stats be counted in regular season stats. Now you’re just not making sense.

I also think that was done to make Rantanen look like the better player since Marner's PPG in the 2019-20 regular season was 1.14 and Rantanen's was at 0.98 PPG.
Yes, in a Rantanen vs Marner thread he talked about stats that make Rantanen look better. Are you telling me you’re not talking about stats in a way that makes Marner look better?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, in a Rantanen vs Marner thread he talked about stats that make Rantanen look better. Are you telling me you’re not talking about stats in a way that makes Marner look better?
I'm not trying to manipulate their stats saying Rantanen had a better PPG in the 2019-20 season because of how he did in the playoffs. The facts are Marner had a 1.14 PPG this past season and Rantanen had a 0.98 PPG.

why would playoff stats be counted in regular season stats. Now you’re just not making sense.
Here are your previous replies where you were trying to argue that it was alright to include Rantanen's 2020 playoff stats along with his 2019-20 PPG stats from the regular season. This whole time I have been saying it's wrong to include his playoff stats to show he had a better PPG than Marner.

So you’re saying if you don’t include certain parts of their careers Marner has better numbers? And what about the fact that Rantanen is a better goal scorer? I’ve seen you mention how important goals are.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not trying to manipulate their stats saying Rantanen had a better PPG in the 2019-20 season because of how he did in the playoffs. The facts are Marner had a 1.14 PPG this past season and Rantanen had a 0.98 PPG.

Here are your previous replies where you were trying to argue that it was alright to include Rantanen's 2020 playoff stats along with his 2019-20 PPG stats from the regular season. This whole time I have been saying it's wrong to include his playoff stats to show he had a better PPG than Marner.
What are you talking about? No stats were manipulated. That poster clearly said that he was including playoff stats. If someone chooses to put value on the playoffs (which I agree you should) then there is nothing wrong with including playoff points in evaluating a player. Do you not value the playoffs and how well a player performs in them? Did you miss where the poster said those stats were included? What exactly do you think manipulating stats means? Because saying “hey if we include these other stats that are also important this other player is very good” is not manipulation.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Rantanen is better when the chips are down, but Marner is better at writing insincere letters to the fans explaining why he should be grossly overpaid.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If someone chooses to put value on the playoffs (which I agree you should) then there is nothing wrong with including playoff points in evaluating a player.
There's nothing inherently wrong with looking at playoff stats. There is something wrong with combining playoff stats with regular season stats and pretending they are the same thing, or looking at playoff stats without applying necessary context. Playoff stats are put up in entirely different circumstances that are different for every player. They are small samples against one team, one defense, one goalie, and the quality of that team/defense/goalie faced will impact production quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad