Mitch Marner vs Mikko Rantanen

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
There's nothing inherently wrong with looking at playoff stats. There is something wrong with combining playoff stats with regular season stats and pretending they are the same thing, or looking at playoff stats without applying necessary context. Playoff stats are put up in entirely different circumstances that are different for every player. They are small samples against one team, one defense, one goalie, and the quality of that team/defense/goalie faced will impact production quite a bit.
What is inherently wrong is changing the criteria that you a judge a player by in every single thread with zero context, while saying other posters are manipulating stats when they are clearly stating what stats they’re using.
They are small samples against one team, one defense, one goalie, and the quality of that team/defense/goalie faced will impact production quite a bit.
Some teams play multiple teams in a playoff. I understand why this might be foreign to you though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
:facepalm: He's been the 2nd best Leafs player since he came into the league. If you're going to call anyone a passenger on that line, it's Tavares.
.... Tavares has sustained totals he has achieved multiple times prior to Marner. Marner went from seasons of 63 and 69 point seasons to a 90 point pace with Tavares... I don't see how you could call Tavares the passenger over Marner.

I'm a leaf fan choosing Rantanen..Marners lack of size, coupled with his lack of breakaway speed (exposed against columbus), his average shot and huge contract makes me choose Rantanen. Also Marners incredible ego bugs me.. This is by the eye test though... apparently Marner has sensational analytic numbers (which I know little about). I hope he proves me wrong...however he is always put with elite centers and never has to carry his own line. So we never get to see his true "elite" ability.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What is inherently wrong is changing the criteria that you a judge a player by in every single thread with zero context, while saying other posters are manipulating stats when they are clearly stating what stats they’re using.
Other people doing stuff you don't like isn't an excuse for using improper evaluation methodology yourself.
Some teams that play multiple teams in a playoff.
That doesn't change the fact that each series is one unique team, and the quality of that team's defense/goaltending will impact things like production. It's not the same thing as the regular season, where you're facing 30 different teams, all with different characteristics.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Other people doing stuff you don't like isn't an excuse for using improper evaluation methodology yourself.
And what evaluation methodology was it that I used that was improper? I was simply telling Leafsnation that he shouldn’t be judging someone else for using any criteria, especially calling them manipulating when his changes constantly. Maybe this was a portion you should comment to him?
That doesn't change the fact that each series is one unique team, and the quality of that team's defense/goaltending will impact things like production. It's not the same thing as the regular season, where you're facing 30 different teams, all with different characteristics.
So is each and every single game of the regular season. Should we break that up into 82 separate categories for more “context”?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And what evaluation methodology was it that I used that was improper?
You were promoting improper methodology combining regular season and playoff stats. What other users were doing incorrectly is irrelevant.
So is each and every single game of the regular season. Should we break that up into 82 separate categories for more “context”?
The quality of teams/defenses/goaltenders faced in a regular season averages out for the most part, as you have a bigger sample against a wide variety of teams.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You were promoting improper methodology combining regular season and playoff stats.
How was I promoting anything? Improper methodology? You mean the criteria that you yourself said isn’t inherently wrong? You’re trying a little to hard here. I never said one way was better than the other. I think both have their uses. But for that poster to call another manipulative is asinine. And how is you sticking up for that poster any different? Does this mean you promote his evaluation methodology?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
These poll results must be blowing Dekes For Days mind. He doesn’t just believe Marner is better (he is slightly better). He also believes Marner deserved to be payed significantly more than Rantanen. He is the only person I’ve come across who believes this.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Improper methodology? You mean the criteria that you yourself said isn’t inherently wrong?
Considering the playoffs isn't inherently wrong, as long as you apply the necessary context. Considering the playoffs by just adding it on to regular season stats is wrong.
Does this mean you promote his evaluation methodology?
I haven't discussed his evaluation methodology at all; only you have.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
6'4", 215 lbs vs 6'0", 175 lbs, with all other things being essentially equal. If Rantanen can learn to use his rump like Jagr, he could potentially add another aspect to his game that Marner simply can't. That potential is the difference maker for me.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Considering the playoffs isn't inherently wrong, as long as you apply the necessary context. Considering the playoffs by just adding it on to regular season stats is wrong.
False. Other posters are allowed to post what they feel in important.
I haven't discussed his evaluation methodology at all; only you have.
By rushing to that posters aid and only attacking my points you are inherently defending his

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No, I'm used to HFboards being wrong and dismissing everything other than raw points. Happens all the time.
Ya your right and everyone else is wrong. And your also right about how teams were lining up to send Mitch an offer sheet that would have cost them 4 first round picks for an overpaid Marner. Tons of teams have enough cap space for that and see no issue with giving up their next 4 first round picks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The same logic applies to the regular season as well, then. Players who play for a team in a strong division, in a strong conference, will have a tougher time than players who play for a team in a weak division, in a weak conference.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
By rushing to that posters aid and only attacking my points you are inherently defending his
I didn't "rush to that poster's aid". I responded to a statement you made. It had nothing to do with what the other poster said.
Ya your right and everyone else is wrong. And your also right about how teams were lining up to send Mitch an offer sheet that would have cost them 4 first round picks for an overpaid Marner. Tons of teams have enough cap space for that and see no issue with giving up their next 4 first round picks.
I didn't say I knew what happened regarding offer sheets; just that we knew he had them offered to him, and the most logical conclusion from the available information is that they were substantial. Four first round picks is a heavy price, but players like Marner are exceptionally rare, and 1st round picks and their average return on investment for non-bottom feeders tend to be overvalued on these boards.

Also, it didn't need to be four 1st round picks anyway. 1-5 years for 10.6m would have been worse, and would have been below the four 1st threshold. All that said, this thread is supposed to be "contracts aside", so not sure what that has to do with things in the first place.
The same logic applies to the regular season as well, then. Players who play for a team in a strong division, in a strong conference, will have a tougher time than players who play for a team in a weak division, in a weak conference.
Players do, to some extent, face different qualities of defenses/goaltending throughout a regular season, impacting production, but because they face such a wide variety of teams over a much bigger sample, that tends to average out to fairly minimal differences. As this thread demonstrates, it's hard enough to get people to acknowledge very basic concepts like how PP time impacts raw production, so not sure we're in a place where we can discuss potential impacts of uneven opponent distribution in the regular season.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I didn't "rush to that poster's aid". I responded to a statement you made. It had nothing to do with what the other poster said.

this is the statement you responded to, what in here is worth the effort you are putting in to somehow try to correct something that isn’t wrong.

If someone chooses to put value on the playoffs (which I agree you should) then there is nothing wrong with including playoff points in evaluating a player.
so that post is so wrong that it requires all this attention, but the other poster who refuses to follow any sort of criteria or “context” is of no concern to your policing abilities?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why use the injury excuse for Rantanen and then not do it for Marner?

Marner hurt his ankle and was out for a month.

shh it doesnt work like that

Rantanen was on an 80pt pace! ignore the fact marner paced 93pts a year after getting 94pts

but yeah lopsided result for the guy who hasnt had 90pts yet despite playing alongside the #2 player in the world

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
shh it doesnt work like that

Rantanen was on an 80pt pace! ignore the fact marner paced 93pts a year after getting 94pts

but yeah lopsided result for the guy who hasnt had 90pts yet despite playing alongside the #2 player in the world

You mentioned pace multiple times in that post, including giving credit to Marner for pacing for 93 points, then follow up by being disingenuous about Rantanen "hasnt had 90pts yet" despite the fact he scored 87 points in 74 games a season ago.

Considering how much you guys go livid whenever certain players on your team are labeled as "never scoring more than X amount of points" even though their pace put them above that, it's kind of strange you'd opt for that in this case with Rantanen.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As a Canuck fan who has no horse in the race, I love Rantanen, but this is Marner

he be ragged dolled in a series like against St.Louis or Vegas. Easily. the 6'4 220 pounder would have helped so much on our top 6 against Vegas. some guy that can make space and not back down.

Reactions: Nabrules

lawrence

May 19, 2012

having more points doesnt make him a better player though, if you want to wager I can go ahead with a Horvat vs Nylander poll if your open to it. Nylander has more points that being said I am certain people around here would more likely prefer Horvat

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
You mentioned pace multiple times in that post, including giving credit to Marner for pacing for 93 points, then follow up by being disingenuous about Rantanen "hasnt had 90pts yet" despite the fact he scored 87 points in 74 games a season ago.

Considering how much you guys go livid whenever certain players on your team are labeled as "never scoring more than X amount of points" even though their pace put them above that, it's kind of strange you'd opt for that in this case with Rantanen.
It depends which foot has the flip-flop on it at the time. Goals? P/60? Usage? You can be sure to see the same shit over and over again.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->