Injury Report: Mitch Marner - Shoulder - Out 3-4 Weeks (from Dec 7)

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'm not familiar with the mechanics behind LTIR and the cap but how much in general are we talking of saving here?

We're not saving any money. The issue with LTIR is that the player is not eligible to play for 10 days and 24 days in the NHL season. This is done so that teams don't put players on LTIR for cap space. You can go over the cap by the amount of the LTIR.

Due to the postponement, Marner would have to wait even when the NHL season continues due to the 10 games, however postponed games count so he would be eligible to come back the first game back now.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'm not familiar with the mechanics behind LTIR and the cap but how much in general are we talking of saving here?

No real savings - you don't accrue cap via LTIR, you can just replace the $$ of the player on LTIR. So when Mitch comes back we'll have to shed about $3m in cap by sending guys down. That might be tricky...I think Ritchie or Holl and/or Engval would have to go.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs' Mitch Marner, Jake Muzzin still buds after bump | Toronto Sun

Mitch Marner insists he’s still pals with the Leaf who gave him a friendly fire injury.

The high-scoring forward banged up his shoulder in a Dec. 3 practice when he and much bigger defenceman Jake Muzzin got signals crossed and collided during a drill.
TV cameras caught their comments and animated gestures about who was to blame for the mishap before the sore Marner stalked off to the dressing room. He hasn’t played since and had to go on LTIR.

But in Monday’s first comments since the injury, Marner insisted he and Muzzin are past it.

“You can ask Jake, he’s one of my best friends on the team,” Marner said. “We exchanged some words about it, now it’s back to lovin’ each other and just joke around about it, Obviously, no one wants to hurt their teammate. It was an unlucky bounce, that’s all there really was to it.”

Marner is glad to be back in the saddle and scored on a line with Auston Matthews in Monday’s scrimmage.

“We’re excited. It’s been a long time since I was on the ice with these guys,” he said.

Muzzin is now out, one of the remaining Leafs trying to get through COVID-19 protocol for Saturday’s game against Ottawa.

“Everyone’s trying to do the right things (to prevent another outbreak) and do the right things when they go home,” Marner said. “One way or another, (the pandemic) was going to hit and our team and our doctors handled it perfectly.”

Reactions: NylanderBros

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Maple Leafs' Mitch Marner, Jake Muzzin still buds after bump | Toronto Sun

Mitch Marner insists he’s still pals with the Leaf who gave him a friendly fire injury.

The high-scoring forward banged up his shoulder in a Dec. 3 practice when he and much bigger defenceman Jake Muzzin got signals crossed and collided during a drill.
TV cameras caught their comments and animated gestures about who was to blame for the mishap before the sore Marner stalked off to the dressing room. He hasn’t played since and had to go on LTIR.

But in Monday’s first comments since the injury, Marner insisted he and Muzzin are past it.

“You can ask Jake, he’s one of my best friends on the team,” Marner said. “We exchanged some words about it, now it’s back to lovin’ each other and just joke around about it, Obviously, no one wants to hurt their teammate. It was an unlucky bounce, that’s all there really was to it.”

Marner is glad to be back in the saddle and scored on a line with Auston Matthews in Monday’s scrimmage.

“We’re excited. It’s been a long time since I was on the ice with these guys,” he said.

Muzzin is now out, one of the remaining Leafs trying to get through COVID-19 protocol for Saturday’s game against Ottawa.

“Everyone’s trying to do the right things (to prevent another outbreak) and do the right things when they go home,” Marner said. “One way or another, (the pandemic) was going to hit and our team and our doctors handled it perfectly.”

Well at least now there's an explanation for how it happened. I had wondered if maybe Muzzin got a little overzealous and hit Marner too hard in practice. Better that it was an accident.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wonder if they weren't allowed to send Lilly down when he's on protocols?

Or is Lilly being activated?

Either way they have a week now until making a bigger decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00