Injury Report: Mitch Marner - Shoulder - Out 3-4 Weeks (from Dec 7)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So he's out because Jake Muzzin chose to be an idiot

To be fair Mitch is built like a chicken so it wouldn't have to be a straif to lay him out. I don't know if Leaf practices have guys that try to play closer to game level and other guys that treat it like beer league but Marner has been able to avoid heavy hits for his whole career so whatever happened he had to be coasting. If a player treats practice like ice capades and all others don't maybe stuff like this can happen but... IMO its somewhere in between because Muzzin is a 700 game player and knows not to crush his meal ticket. At most Marner thought he deserved a bit more space because it was not a real game and Muzzin made some excessive contact. I think it was a fluke event because this sh#t almost never happens.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No doubt the toughest one to absorb out of all of the current injuries. The team should be able to persevere though because there is more to them than just any one player.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
If there were an organization that interested in Ho Sang, he would have signed an NHL contract with that organization.
The thing you're apparently missing is that with signing a contract, Ho Sang has to WANT to play for them. If he was claimed off waivers, OTOH, he wouldn't have a choice (unless he tried to hold out, and at this point in his career that'd probably end his chance of playing in the NHL). He's not going to want to sign with a desperate team like Ottawa or Montreal or Arizona, but they could claim him off waivers and he'd have no other option.

Reactions: egd27

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The thing you're apparently missing is that with signing a contract, Ho Sang has to WANT to play for them. If he was claimed off waivers, OTOH, he wouldn't have a choice (unless he tried to hold out, and at this point in his career that'd probably end his chance of playing in the NHL). He's not going to want to sign with a desperate team like Ottawa or Montreal or Arizona, but they could claim him off waivers and he'd have no other option.

The thing you're apparently missing is that he's a professional athlete and by professional that means he plays hockey to make an income. If any NHL team were willing to give him NHL level money right now, he'd have to take it. And that includes bad teams especially because on bad teams a player gets opportunity.

Reactions: hotpaws

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Welp that blows. Leafs are gonna need to step up the next few weeks. Maybe time to test some of our depth.

Will be a good measuring stick for our scouting department and decisions made by upper management.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Does Marner’s 4 week injury have any LTIR implications? Asking because that would be a big chunk of change.

What is the Accruable Cap Space Limit (ACSL)?

When a team goes into LTIR, their effective salary cap, or upper limit, is changed. This adjusted upper limit is calculated as a function of the teams cap space and the player’s cap hit. This value is the “accruable cap space limit” (ACSL), and is the first value calculated. Second are the salary and performance bonus relief pools that are later explained below.

The accruable cap space limit is the teams new upper limit excluding their LTIR relief pools. If the team operates below the ACSL, they begin to accrue cap space. A team can operate up to the ACSL without using their LTIR relief pools, once they operate above the ACSL, they begin to use their LTIR relief pools. In the majority of cases, a team using LTIR will be using their relief pools. Only in uncommon circumstances does a team operate below their ACSL.

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

Two methods can be used to calculate the ACSL:
  1. The Basic Equation

The basic equation can be used throughout the NHL regular season, and during the off-season:
    ACSL = Salary cap upper limit - team cap space
    Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, a team with a projected cap hit of $74.9M places a player with an AAV of $5M on LTIR:
    Upper limit = $75M
    Team cap space = $0.1M
    ACSL = $75M - $0.1M = $74.9M
    If the team decides that they do not need to recall a player, and instead reassign a player to the AHL, they would begin to accrue cap space because they are operating below the ACSL.

2. The Training-Camp Equation

The training camp equation can be used on the last day of training camp in preparation for the first day of the season:
    ACSL = Team cap hit - LTIR player’s cap hit

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, on the last day of the off-season a team has a projected cap hit of $78M and places a player with an AAV of $3.5M on LTIR:
    Team cap hit = $78M
    Player’s cap hit = $3.5M
    ACSL = $78M - $3.5M = $74.5M
    To accrue cap space while the team continues to use LTIR, they would need to trade players to get below a projected cap hit value of $74.5M.

The ACSL will always be less than or (in the optimal scenario) equal to the league upper limit. The closer the ACSL is to the league upper limit, the greater the team will be able to exceed the upper limit.
How is LTIR Relief calculated?

LTIR relief comes in the form of two values: a salary relief pool, and a performance bonus relief pool.

These pools are determined the day the player is placed on LTIR. The salary relief pool is the player’s averaged salary excluding performance bonuses (their cap hit value). The performance bonus relief is the player’s total performance bonuses for this season (games played, A and B bonuses), regardless of if they are still achievable.

What if the team already has a player on LTIR?
The teams ACSL remains the same, and their salary relief pool increases by the player’s cap hit, and the performance bonus relief pool increases by the player’s performance bonuses.

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I hope they try him with Tavares and let Nylander play with Spezza and Kase or something. He play better when being the "best" player on his line.

But most that Marner gets 100% well.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I thought cap space doesn’t accrue until 10 games or 24 days missed. So game 11 or day 25 you get start getting cap space, or is accrued from day 1, as some suggested.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Does Marner’s 4 week injury have any LTIR implications? Asking because that would be a big chunk of change.
They don't need it because they have Mrazek and Mikheyev's LTIR money. If one of them come back, then they will need to send people down, or put Marner on LTIR. Probably hedging their bets in case he comes back sooner (as he would have to miss 10 games and 24 calendar days, which looks like that will be the case)

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
My hope is that the Matthew line goes nuts while Mitch is gone. Then let Marner play with JT and Willie.
I was thinking about this yesterday and it made me all warm and tingly inside.

Edit: that being said, I've been loving Kerfoot on that line with JT and Bill. They seem to have good chemistry.

Reactions: Lumberg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They don't need it because they have Mrazek and Mikheyev's LTIR money. If one of them come back, then they will need to send people down, or put Marner on LTIR. Probably hedging their bets in case he comes back sooner (as he would have to miss 10 games and 24 calendar days, which looks like that will be the case)

I was thinking more along the lines of LTIR savings that can count towards a deadline acquisition. Isn't there a daily cap savings that accrues over time?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Might watch a game for the first time this year with him being out.
The underground dwellers that said they wouldn't watch another game, are slowly filtering back....atleast you admitted you're one of them; there's gotta be more than few walking around as if they didn't totally sellout on the team.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
The underground dwellers that said they wouldn't watch another game, are slowly filtering back....atleast you admitted you're one of them; there's gotta be more than few walking around as if they didn't totally sellout on the team.
I still haven't but ok lol.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
ok lol

thanks for keeping us informed

But are we? Are we really "informed?" Does anybody really know what this Lime fellow was doing, or even where he was when the season started. Was he the second man that entered into this state of reclusion or was he the 3rd man, because the one thing we do know, is that there are many candidates for being the first in this rather bizarre contretemps. I'm guessing we'll never know for sure, but I believe a kind of theme is developing around this whole season!

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I hope Mitch recovers quickly. If the PP keeps rolling without him I hope he moves down to the second unit until the first unit shows he's needed again.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00