Mitch Marner or Johnny Gaudreau?

Mitch Marner or Johnny Gaudreau?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Long term I think Marner will be a better player, but he may still be a little behind. The catch may turn out to be contract, if he ends up in 10-11 million range give me Gaudreau.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Contracts included, Marner. I don't think pinching pennies really matters when your talking about the upper echelon, elite class of players in this league. They should and will get paid. The requisite should be more about finding those type of players and filling out the rest of the roster, a notion that seems to be lost on HF these days.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Marner because he's just as good offensively as Johnny and he also kills penalty's which he is very good at.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
People ITT saying bs like AINEC. Both are unreal hockey players that are very close skill wise. Johnny G has an amazing contract but Marner has proven to be one of the better two way wingers in the NHL. I think you can call their offense a wash, both play making wizards that can score big goals.

It’s very close. I pick Marner just because of my leaf bias.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Allen Iverson used to be all the rage for his points but took an insane amount of shots. Sometimes better strategy can be your friend. This isn't just about his giveaways but also his relative lack of takeaways.

Since entering the league he is 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 1st and 1st worst at giveaways (among forwards).. For takeaways he is 10th, 65th, 65th, 94th and 28th.

Over the span Marner has been in the league, Gaudreau is 1st, 1st and 1st worst in giveaways and 65th, 94th and 28th at takeaways. Total difference is a -164.

Mitch Marner is 17th, 57th and 28th worst at giveaways but 8th, 4th and 6th best at takeaways. Total difference of +57.
Wait, are you actually arguing that completing passes is a bad thing?

That's a brand new type of stupid.

I think considering the fact that he led his team to a first-place finish in the West is validation that whatever strategy he is using, it's working.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Do you even realize how many great clips could be put together of Marner from these playoffs and last. Both offensive AND defensive?

Marner has been terrific, as I've already said. He also has significantly more offensive support which makes it incredibly difficult to key in solely on him.

Gaudreau has been a big game player his entire career, which is why I even showed those videos. But when the opposition can set strategies to fully isolate their defense on one player, they are going to struggle.

So far, the avalanche have done a great job at double and triple teaming gaudreau every time he touches the puck, because his linemates have been absolutely no threat. Anaheim did the exact same thing two years ago to Gaudreau and then again to McDavid with similar results.

Boston can't do the same to Marner because they have to worry about Tavares, who is a game-breaker in his own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad