• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is Marner. Way better 200 foot game, that makes up for whatever little difference there is in offense if any. Oh and he's 4 years younger.

I like how you state that he has a better 200 foot game, as fact lol. Gaudreau is more than fine defensively. They 2 are comparable at that part of their games. Johnny is among the league leaders at takeaways almost every season and he’s the best on our team at stripping the opposition of the puck.

I never claimed Gaudreau is way better, the fact you say Marner is just comes off as you being a gigantic homer.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When the Jets fans did that with Laine, they also conveniently overlooked his mid-high 20's shooting %, it's the same as what's happening with Pettersson right now. That stuff catches up and the luck evapourates, sometimes quickly like it did with Laine

What do you think about Marner's on ice sh%? It's currently resting at 13.24% - that should be closer to 9-10%, so he should probably have about 5-8 fewer points.

Gaudreau's is a much more sustainable 9.68%...

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
They're pretty even now but Marner is 4 years younger. It took JG years to make it to the league and be a productive player, Marner put up 60+ points in his draft+1 season

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Marner's defensive play isn't getting enough love here, he is much better than Gaudreau defensively.

Even looking at their giveaways and takeaways, Marner is much better in those areas because he's more responsible with the puck.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's easy to see that Marner is the superior talent at this point in time, at a younger age at that. Can't see any argument for Gaudreau.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure where you're getting your OIsh%, hockey reference has Gaudreau at 11.7%, was what you were looking at strictly 5v5?
5v5, but 11.7 isn't really out of the ordinary for Gaudreau, especially with how much 3v3 he's been playing this year. He's already played like 56 mins of non 5v5 ES hockey - all of last year he only player like 90 mins.

His ES on ice sh% was 10.15 last year, 12.15 his rookie year and 10.8 his second year. So it's not like what we're seeing now is too unexpected.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think his aggregate OIsh% is due for some regression as well, moreso on the PP than 5v5, 11.7% is high

the other big consideration between these two is PP time, Gaudreau gets an appropriate amount of PP time for his talent level but that's about 50% more than Marner gets, I'd love to see what Marner's production would do with an extra minute+ of PP per game and I think that will happen if the Leafs ever start drawing penalties again

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think his aggregate OIsh% is due for some regression as well, moreso on the PP than 5v5, 11.7% is high

the other big consideration between these two is PP time, Gaudreau gets an appropriate amount of PP time for his talent level but that's about 50% more than Marner gets, I'd love to see what Marner's production would do with an extra minute+ of PP per game and I think that will happen if the Leafs ever start drawing penalties again
Their PP has been much better - they have gotten away from volume shooting and are much more patient (definitely helps with how many high danger looks Lindholm has been getting there) - but maybe he's got 2-3 more PP points than he should based on the odds.

I don't really expect it to fall all that much, it's not too far away from his career average of 10.6. Considering his increased non 5v5 ES time it's probably closer to where you'd expect it honestly.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Their PP has been much better - they have gotten away from volume shooting and are much more patient (definitely helps with how many high danger looks Lindholm has been getting there) - but maybe he's got 2-3 more PP points than he should based on the odds.

I don't really expect it to fall all that much, it's not too far away from his career average of 10.6. Considering his increased non 5v5 ES time it's probably closer to where you'd expect it honestly.
you don't see many guys go a season with 11%+ aggregate so I think it will come down a bit, minor effect on his production but it will have some just like it will on Marner's to a smaller degree

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
you don't see many guys go a season with 11%+ aggregate so I think it will come down a bit, minor effect on his production but it will have some just like it will on Marner's to a smaller degree

You see tons of guys going an entire season with >11% on ice shooting percentage. 23 players who played at least 1000 minutes at ES did it last season. That number grows to 28 if you extend the sample into this season. Heck - 7 guys are enjoying a 12+% shooting percentage over the last ~110 games.

Considering his career avg is 10.6%, scoring is up, and his RW has improved, I think it's actually likely he'll stay above 11.

Marner on the otherhand is actually due.for some pretty significant regression, I'm surprised nobody is talking about that :sarcasm:

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Ill take gaudreau, he is better offensively, even defensively, and makes less money. Easy vote.

I expect the hf leaf army to be voting in full force ;)

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Marner is winning this poll handily, I see. Hey look, a hat trick. That's clever.

As he should be.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Marner jumps over Gaudreau (and McDavid) with another 3pts.
50 is a nice round number.

He and Rantanen are on pace to have some pretty pretty good company. Marner needs 50 points in 46 games to hit 100 points. The way he’s playing, it certainly looks to be in the cards. Rantanen should easily get 100 from where he’s at right now.

Here are all the players who have hit 100 points in their ELC in the last ~20 years (too lazy to go further back, hockey reference filters aren’t working for me):

Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid.

That’s it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I like how you state that he has a better 200 foot game, as fact lol. Gaudreau is more than fine defensively. They 2 are comparable at that part of their games. Johnny is among the league leaders at takeaways almost every season and he’s the best on our team at stripping the opposition of the puck.

I never claimed Gaudreau is way better, the fact you say Marner is just comes off as you being a gigantic homer.

I think you mean Gaudreau is always among the league leaders in giveaways.

This season:

Gaudreau - 50 (3rd worst) giveaways to 26 takeaways (38th)

Marner - 24 giveaways (105th) to 41 takeaways (8th)

Previous year

Gaudreau - 100 (5th worst) giveaways to 44 takeaways (112th).

Marner - 50 giveaways (128th) to 85 takeaways (3rd)

Year before

Gaudreau - 86 (9th worst) giveaways to 44 takeaways (77th)
Marner - 62 (50th) giveaways to 67 takeaways (9th)

EDIT - Just looked at the 3 season sums and Gaudreau is 4th in giveaways, the only forward in the top 12. Marner is 4th in takeaways. A few people might want to "unlike" your post. They are "comparable at that part of their games" if you want to point out polar opposites. One guy is almost 2:1 giveaways to takeaways while the other is almost 1:2 giveaways to takeaways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad