Toronto
  • 7gp 5g 12a 17 pts Jesse Puljujärvi
  • 7gp 5g 9a 14 pts Sebastian Aho
  • 7gp 7g 6a 13 pts Patrik Laine
  • 7gp 7g 4a 11 pts Auston Matthews
  • 7gp 4g 7a 11 pts Matthew Tkachuk
  • -
  • 5gp 4g 2a 6 pts Mitchell Marner
Three of those players were playing at home and on a familiar ice-surface. The left-wingers on Canada were terrible and Point was clearly playing injured. It is a 6 game tournament, which people are putting way too much emphasis on. Look at what recent 4th overalls did in there draft +1 and its quite comparable. The only other time Marner went up against his peers in an international setting he was named was 2014 Hlinka were he was arguably Canada's best player in a gold medal effort.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Maybe I should post PPG for all games these players have played for the last couple of seasons to see how they compare.. ..looking at 5 games as some sort of proof is beyond silly.

I guess Brown is going to lead the Leafs in scoring this year as well as he had 6 pts in 7 games.. .70 pt season pace.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Babcocks Marner and myself think he Mitch didnt play as well, or as dominate as he could. ;)

• 7gp 5g 12a 17 pts Jesse Puljujärvi
  • 7gp 5g 9a 14 pts Sebastian Aho
  • 7gp 7g 6a 13 pts Patrik Laine
  • 7gp 7g 4a 11 pts Auston Matthews
  • 7gp 4g 7a 11 pts Matthew Tkachuk
  • -
  • 5gp 4g 2a 6 pts Mitchell Marner

Meaningless log a 5 game sample size aside, The first thing that pops out is that other teams were likely much better than Team Canada. Which was absolutely the case last WJC

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I love the 90% of marner's points involved his team mates lol. I'll concede that point ifmarner was on the ice by himself he wouldn't have gotten any where near the points, you're an absolute genius. I just wish posters who are so convinced about a player actually watched them.

TeamBester

Debunked
Feb 15, 2010
Kingston, Ontario
I am saying this ...

• If Mitch makes the team, thats great... if not, he will make it next season.
  • If Mitch is not good enough to play in the NHL, he should go back to London
  • If mitch is good enough to make the leafs, he still may be sent back to London, leaf roster issues
  • Plenty of improvements can be made by Mitch if sent back to London
  • His awards, points, PPG, memorial cup, etc does not guarantee him a roster spot. Just ask Lou :laugh:
  • It is "possible" his stats are affected by the team and players he is on
  • Mitch has struggled to be Mitch at the U20 level
  • ?
  • I am trying to think of anything else?

If I am missing something, please anyone place the quote here ...

If Marner is good enough to make the Leafs, he will be there 100%. There is zero issues with the roster that would possibly leave our 2nd best prospect (elite prospect at that) off the team. None. Zero. Zilch.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe I should post PPG for all games these players have played for the last couple of seasons to see how they compare.. ..looking at 5 games as some sort of proof is beyond silly.

I guess Brown is going to lead the Leafs in scoring this year as well as he had 6 pts in 7 games.. .70 pt season pace.

Too bad there is no minor pro league in Canada that Marner could have played in like some of the better Europeans can. Laine, Puljujarvi, Nylander ... all played against men as teenagers.

Andreas Johnson for example was second on his SweHL team, behind the league leader in points, who had 51 points in 51 games. He's played against men for over 3 years and it probably hasn't stunted his career.

Mr Hockey*

Three of those players were playing at home and on a familiar ice-surface. The left-wingers on Canada were terrible and Point was clearly playing injured. It is a 6 game tournament, which people are putting way too much emphasis on. Look at what recent 4th overalls did in there draft +1 and its quite comparable. The only other time Marner went up against his peers in an international setting he was named was 2014 Hlinka were he was arguably Canada's best player in a gold medal effort.

That's fine, all I have said was Mitch wasn't Mitch at the WJU20.

Dice keeps posting at other posts, but are directed at me. I put those stats up just for him.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

1 tourny tells all, you will see Mantha and Drouin are both better than McDavid. Along with Nicolas Petan, who is also better than Nylander....and Joel Armia is miles ahead of Johnny Hockey, and Mark Scheifele. didn't you know these things? :sarcasm:

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
That tournament just made me take a closer look at Mitch and his development is all.

I guess you took a hard look at Strome as well? ... or how about, ALL of team Canada?

*Edit* I have seen Mitch play 2-3 games in a row not like himself in London, should that take away from the year? Players have bad games. Nylander struggled his first 10 nhl games, struggled in the AHL playoffs after the first round, that doesn't take away from everything else he did the past year. According to you, it should have, and you are a Nylander fan.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
You guys are better off arguing with a wall.

Funnily enough, Mitch was one of the best canadian forwards when the preliminary games were over. But being that he didn't put up 2.5 ppg in the tournament it's considered a disappointment.

Oh well, Marner will be in the NHL this year and we'll have a much more realistic viewing of him and how he handles the NHL grind.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The only thing I wonder for Marner is if he might have a tough camp because of not having enough rest time this offseason. Camp last year, London's season, it's playoff run, the memorial cup run, and even Team Canada world junior stuff.

I just hope all of that doesn't slow him down. Be kind of an awkward cycle. He is slowed down at camp because of the year he just had and they send him back to London where he can have exactly as busy a year.

Hope I'm completely off and he's insane at camp. Nothing would make me more hyped than Marner, Matthews, and Nylander all on the team.

Mr Hockey*

You guys are better off arguing with a wall.

Funnily enough, Mitch was one of the best canadian forwards when the preliminary games were over. But being that he didn't put up 2.5 ppg in the tournament it's considered a disappointment.

Oh well, Marner will be in the NHL this year and we'll have a much more realistic viewing of him and how he handles the NHL grind.

No argueing going on, you mad cause i didnt like your picture in the other thread? :laugh:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But you have your doubts, correct? Besides the tournament, what makes you doubtful?
What have you seen when you were taking a "closer look"?

Marner had the skill for the NHL last year. He needed to gin strength to make the NHL. Regardless of what skill he showed in the OHL last year, it's not unreasonable to be doubtful that he didn't gain the strength that is needed to make the team this year.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Marner had the skill for the NHL last year. He needed to gin strength to make the NHL. Regardless of what skill he showed in the OHL last year, it's not unreasonable to be doubtful that he didn't gain the strength that is needed to make the team this year.

personally I don't think it was strength he really lacked... it was confidence

Mr Hockey*

He said he was not ready many many times.....changing his profile name does not change what he has posted.

If I had said it before why wouldn't I say it again? :laugh: My name changed but my posts are still here. Why not post one of me saying Mitch isnt ready, etc since I have said it many many times?

Mr Hockey*

But you have your doubts, correct? Besides the tournament, what makes you doubtful?
What have you seen when you were taking a "closer look"?

Yes, it is possible he is sent back to London. His London team and "line" tore apart the CHL, its hard to get a good grasp on where Mitch's game is at right now, for me anyway.

You hear Diceman saying Marner is better than Eichel and Mcdavid :help: If I take issue with that, I am a Marner hater lol

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I never said Marner was better then McDavid if fact i said the opposite....Eichel....yes i believe that he is better or at worse on the same level.

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The only thing I wonder for Marner is if he might have a tough camp because of not having enough rest time this offseason. Camp last year, London's season, it's playoff run, the memorial cup run, and even Team Canada world junior stuff.

I just hope all of that doesn't slow him down. Be kind of an awkward cycle. He is slowed down at camp because of the year he just had and they send him back to London where he can have exactly as busy a year.

Hope I'm completely off and he's insane at camp. Nothing would make me more hyped than Marner, Matthews, and Nylander all on the team.
True but the kid is 19, he should have more energy than anyone really to brush off a short off-season, especially if he's serious about making the Leafs out of camp.

He's got a lot of capable players who are trying to crack the big team, and some without the pedigree of a Marner but who have put in their time in the minors such as Connor Brown who looked very decent in his short stay with the leafs last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad