Prospect Info: Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When has he shown he's been a teir above others two years in row?

By scoring at rates that other players could only dream of. The fact alone that he actually IMPROVED upon his early 2ppg pace - which again is a huge achievement: all while leading his team to the memorial cup and being acknowledged by being named the league's playoff MVP.

I can't think of a single skill he can improve by yet another year playing among teenagers.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
great nhl players very often play great at world juniors...its one of the big evaluation tools for all scouts and GMs

It's a chance to see players against the TOP international players.
So instead of seeing your guy go up against the best in the Q or the O ... you get to see how he stacks up against the best under 20's in Russia.

It's a small sample, but very important.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No? It has been this way since the very first one. It's a spectacle with little relevance.

Yep.

It's some of the most entertaining hockey of the year - but I don't much weight in it as a prospect evaluation tool.

It's a handful of extra games which admittedly is useful to see many top players on the ice at the same time. But the way some talk about it - they act as if it's he most important games of the year. Which I think is absurd because of it being way, way too small of a sample size.

These players regular seasons + playoffs in their respective leagues has way more games to observe.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
I'll give you just this past year as a sample. Most had no idea who Patrik Laine was until the world Juniors. His stock skyrocketed after that and other tournaments.

he was known many many years ago lmao

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Then why all the scouts and staffs there in person? Answer is simple. Where do players stack up against the best.

Because it's an easy way to see lots of prospects at once?

Nobody said the games don't matter, but I'd be wary of any scout who makes a major decision based primarily on that tournament alone. Or even puts it on equal weight to what those prospects did the rest of the year.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
When has he shown he's been a teir above others two years in row?

[mod]

Go ahead and give me the list of players who did what Marner did in junior, go ahead, do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Which team?

Not a team. You do know there's a bunch of scouting services, yes? Players don't usually appear out of nowhere and are scouted at every stage of their career. Assessments can be wrong, but eh, that's the nature of scouting.

For example, the player that's in the title has been known since he was FOUR

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'll give you just this past year as a sample. Most had no idea who Patrik Laine was until the world Juniors. His stock skyrocketed after that and other tournaments.

Jesse Pulj and Pat Laine were talked about for at least 2 years prior to their draft year because of their dominant play at every international tournament they participated in. Puljujarvi lead the WJC in points not Laine.

Laine did not come out of nowhere because of the WJC. He and Jesse showed what they had been showing all along. I think the World Championships raised a few eyebrows though. No 18 yr old ever performed in an NHL participated event like Laine did in the spring.

Aside note: I think Columbus made a mistake not taking Jesse 3rd.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
great nhl players very often play great at world juniors...its one of the big evaluation tools for all scouts and GMs

I am going to guess the correlation isn't as strong as you think. In fact, it shouldn't be too surprising to see that depending on where the tournament is located does seem to impact who is in the top 10 scoring.

Sorry about all the pictures.

04/05 (North America):
4dTMqot.png

05/06 (North America):
GCOnTto.png

06/07 (Europe):
vaHeqxz.png

07/08 (Europe):
fUp7ChM.png

08/09 (North America):
iDbJExM.png

09/10 (North America):
XkgQ6Tz.png

10/11 (North America):
0YZlBPZ.png

11/12 (North America):
n6YZbG1.png

12/13 (Europe):
LVrtLTZ.png

13/14 (Europe):
9MQ2K8e.png

14/15 (North America):
91DMGWf.png

15/16 (Europe):
h6M1QPe.png

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the world juniors often solidifies draft positions, and separates neck and neck prospects

when people interview GMs about prospects they pick after a draft...they all say the same things...he has high ice q, good size, had a strong world juniors, can skate, can shoot it...every time, scouts and GMs love the world juniors

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Only two that aren't fantasy. Both are relevant to NHL teams. The others? Not so much.

Ooooook :help:

Scouting isn't a perfect science. That's why there's multiple resources on top of teams resources.

Leafs, for example, may have more scouts than ISS and CSS combined. But players are missed. Rolling back to the WJC... players there are pretty much mainly known. Because it's a best on best. The smaller teams may have a random talent that shows up there... like Latvia. Russia has a tendency to being underscouted. All the scouting reports are important because sometimes the first step to being noticed is being mentioned. But you won't have a high grade prospect just randomly show up at the WJC without some mention because these players are mostly stars from a young age. Why? Because getting on these teams is merit based where you had to prove yourself to get on them.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
When the WJC is held in North America vs. Europe for scoring

North America:

NA Players - 34
EU Players - 36

Europe:

NA Players - 19
EU Players - 31

Clearly North Americans don't perform as well over in Europe. Another reason why you can't compare players to past tournaments.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Team Canada in general was a train wreck . Very poor goal tending, pk , line combinations, chemistry and mostly coaching. They played 2 fewer games than either the USA and the Finns and scored as a team around half what either those teams scored. The top ten in scoring was dominated by the big lines on Finland, USA and Russia.
I would of been more concerned about Marner if he wasn't at or near the top of his own team in scoring but given the team he was on he still played well and in the elimination game i felt he was the best player on the ice against a very strong Finish team or at least he was in the 3rd period. Also note that Marner was still around a ppg but scored more goals than had assists which for him is odd.

Mr Hockey*

And there's the truth. One period of hockey for the tournament. He scores 2 PP goals and then takes a bad penalty. Good players produce. I already pointed out RNH and a bad 2013 team yet he lead the tournament in scoring.

Mitch did play 2 periods of elite hockey at the WJU20 against the Fins. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad