Prospect Info: Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I really don't know why people expect big gains in short time? Sometimes your metabolism doesn't really let you add weight then all of a sudden it does. Or as you are saying, your weight can stay the same yet your body changes drastically.

I recently started a program where I do Cross Fit 5 times per week. Everyone was telling me "oh my god you're losing weight" and I'd tell them "no actually my weight hasn't changed at all". What was happening was some things were disappearing while others were being added on. No weight loss but a change of 3 pant sizes.

Yes.

165lbs today can look and feel much differently then 165 a year ago if you lost some bad weight and put on more muscle.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Last high level team I played on, we were weighed weekly.

Great. Did play at the WJC showcase?

And how often are teams going to willing publish/update those numbers?

Consider the NHL draft rarely ever actually publishes the numbers and teams seem pretty unwilling to release those numbers, I'm going to say most weights and heights in the NHL aren't exactly current

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I was looking over LeftWingLock's fantasy kit today and they had Mitch down for 50 points, 20ish goals and 100 hits (the hits possibly the most surprising)

it obviously stood out and reminded me how projections are kind of ******** this early on but I thought it was notable. it felt weird to even see his stat line.

Its exciting to possibly have 3 players likely fighting for the Calder this coming year, I would love Mitch to be one of them

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Great. I'm willing to bet they won't put that much stock into it. They know how many games he's played and what he's achieved. Hunter has a vague familiarity with London. We've got people complaining about his lousy showings where he leads his country in scoring and finishes top 10 for production. It's a bit much sometimes.

It really doesn't matter if they/we do or don't put any stock into his performance since it's still going to come down to he performs at the Leafs camp

yea it may get annoying listening to a few overly concerned/critical posters but it also gets annoying reading some posters dismissing/excusing every meh performance for every one of our prospects

He probably won't grow much taller but it's not like it's super upcommon to see a 19 year old grow. It definitely happens. Though I AGREE that we should just assume he'll be this height. If he grows, that's gravy, but better to assume he won't.

And being slight at 19 has very little impact on if he's slight or not later. He might be able to fill out more, he might not. It's not always easy to add weight at that young of an age. His current sleightness doesn't mean much IMO.

I agree , being slight at 19 isn't overly concerning but for those who are preoccupied with his weight (i'm not implying you are) having a narrow frame should be . My son grew late , he was 5-7 at 15 , 6-2 at 19 but only 170 and then over 200 in his early 20's (while he stopped playing competitive sports after university he still works out 5 times a week so he is very fit fairly ripped) but once he grew he had a broad frame so you could tell he'd gain substantial weight as he aged and filled out .

This being said every person is different and while i assume he'll gain weight as he ages i still believe he'll always be considered fairly light by NHL terms .

also as i said earlier , my main concern is i feel he needs a more explosive first couple of steps and a faster top end gear , hopefully if he adds strength his skating will pick up

Mr Hockey*

Great. Did play at the WJC showcase?

And how often are teams going to willing publish/update those numbers?

Consider the NHL draft rarely ever actually publishes the numbers and teams seem pretty unwilling to release those numbers, I'm going to say most weights and heights in the NHL aren't exactly current

I just gave you something to think about because you started to go down a road you have never traveled.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It really doesn't matter if they/we do or don't put any stock into his performance since it's still going to come down to he performs at the Leafs camp

yea it may get annoying listening to a few overly concerned/critical posters but it also gets annoying reading some posters dismissing/excusing every meh performance for every one of our prospects

I haven't really heard too many stating other than how he does in camp is what matters. Kind of the point I was discussing when you chimed in about their reason for being there. Seems you agree so I'm not sure why the chime?

How many "meh" performances has Mitch had? Especially when you factor in sample size or time of year?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I dont think his size will be an issue, his high hockey IQ helps him play bigger than he is. Obviously the stronger he becomes the more it will help him be a more dominate NHL player.

At the end of the day people need to accept that fact that not every star in the league is 6'2" 215lb, they come in all different shapes and sizes.

I sympathize with those that wish he were bigger but you must remember that had he been bigger then he wouldn't be the same player he is today.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
True, especially given muscle weighs more than fat.

Especially if it's a hockey player working on his leg muscles for skating and stability purposes.

Things can change quickly at that age when the right habits are taking precedent.

I'm more interested to know what he weighed going into the Mem Cup Final as compared to right now. Players usually lose weight over the season, so I think it's safe to say he was less then 165 by that last game.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
At the end of the day people need to accept that fact that not every star in the league is 6'2" 215lb, they come in all different shapes and sizes.

I sympathize with those that wish he were bigger but you must remember that had he been bigger then he wouldn't be the same player he is today.

And if he was too much bigger then he would have went #2 or #3 due to the skill and talent.

Switch bodies with he and Strome and you can switch draft position as well.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
And if he was too much bigger then he would have went #2 or #3 due to the skill and talent.

My argument is that he would have developed an entirely different set of skills had he been bigger which could have made him better, or worse than he is today. Impossible to say. His edge-work and evasiveness likely wouldn't not have made up such an important aspect of his game, for example.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He may have went there anyway had the Leafs had a higher pick.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
My argument is that he would have developed an entirely different set of skills had he been bigger which could have made him better, or worse than he is today. Impossible to say. His edge-work and evasiveness likely wouldn't not have made up such an important aspect of his game, for example.

Definitely. He wouldn't have the same quickness or elusiveness to his game.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I haven't really heard too many stating other than how he does in camp is what matters. Kind of the point I was discussing when you chimed in about their reason for being there. Seems you agree so I'm not sure why the chime?

How many "meh" performances has Mitch had? Especially when you factor in sample size or time of year?

I chimed in because while we both agree it'll come down to camp whether he makes the team , i disagree that this summer tourny is meaningless .

our brass and the rest of the league was there for a reason and just because MM didn't have his best performance doesn't diminish whatever importance mgmt placed on these games

MM has been outstanding playing on a stacked line/team in London and last summers tourny , he's been meh overall at the wjc and this summer .

He may have went there anyway had the Leafs had a higher pick.

still pushing this non sense that hasn't gained any tractionabout how the Leafs would have taken MM over Eichel i see if we had the 2nd pick

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Very true.

Hunter knew him and had history with him. That was probably going to trump a lot of factors at that point.

Lindsay Hofford has known Marner since he was a kid. If not for Lindsay, Marner never goes to London and the Hunter connection never happens.

They were beyond ecstatic that he fell to 4 and a little relieved they didn't have to make a tough decision if they had an earlier pick.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Define "knew"

He certainly didn't know either Juolevi or Tkachuk like he seemed to know Marner.

What are you trying to argue here?

he drafted some of these players he passed on and i'm saying Hunter isn't going to pass on a prospect he rates higher just because he knows the lower ranked player .

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do we even know if they actually measure prospects at the start of the camp? I'm guessing not. I think people assume that it happens, but why in the world would they do that? It's pretty inconsequential.

Considering literally none of the players listed have changing weights from when they were drafted, I'm assuming they're just riffing the weights from a non-updated list.

Marner from Leafs prospect camp July 2016

Mitch Marer currently weighs 163 lbs. His goal this off-season? Get up to 170. It's reasonable enough, and should help him make the NHL.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
he drafted some of these players he passed on and i'm saying Hunter isn't going to pass on a prospect he rates higher just because he knows the lower ranked player .

Ok but nobody said that. You drew that conclusion all on your own.

What everyone else was saying is that if all other factors end up being equal any person is going to take the player then know personally. Especially if the personal relationship makes the person making the selection feel like he's getting a huge talent and has less chance of being a bust in that persons eyes since they know them personally and understand better what makes them tick vs some kid from Sweden or Chicago that they may have seen play 6 times but never actually met and had a conversation with.

It's amazing how out of context people can take comments here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad