Tribute Mitch Marner Discussion- the all talk edition

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not happy with Marner's play lately but some of the hate late;y has me thinking some of these fans are going to round up a posse and string him up. Yeah he took Dubas to the woodshed but I fault Dubas for allowing him to do so.
Both are to blame. Marner and his camp prioritized his financial well being over the team, and negotiated through the media to put a lot of pressure on Dubas to oblige. Then he has fallen short of a contract (and leadership role) he obviously didn't deserve. Dubas held too firm against Nylander and over-corrected with Marner by not really trying at all. I can't help but feel that Marner would be having a better season if he didn't feel all the pressure of living up to a contract he likely can't live up to, and that's something Dubas should have thought about

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Both are to blame. Marner and his camp prioritized his financial well being over the team, and negotiated through the media to put a lot of pressure on Dubas to oblige. Then he has fallen short of a contract (and leadership role) he obviously didn't deserve. Dubas held too firm against Nylander and over-corrected with Marner by not really trying at all. I can't help but feel that Marner would be having a better season if he didn't feel all the pressure of living up to a contract he likely can't live up to, and that's something Dubas should have thought about

I just don't get how it's conceivable he got more than $10.5 (the threshold for 4 1sts in the event of an offer sheet).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I just don't get how it's conceivable he got more than $10.5 (the threshold for 4 1sts in the event of an offer sheet).
I guess Dubas just decided it was better to overpay Marner than to lose him. So far it's looking like a poor choice, but to be fair there's also no telling how we'd look now if he decided to go with option B

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
See I don't see it that way. The contract negotiations took a turn when Shanny spoke out and took it to the media on Nylander's contract dispute. He proved to the group that he's not to be trusted and all the players are to him are monkeys in a circus. That screwed Dubas over in a big way in any chance of getting cap friendly contracts on the big 3.

If there's anybody to blame for the 3 contracts it's Shanny who should feel the brunt. Dubus was on track with the idea of building this team with a family like environment and Shanny crapped on this taking place by opening his trap to the Toronto media in an effort to stronghold negotiations.

It's not a coincidence that Shanny has only spoken twice to the media since than and on both occasions he's been pro group when really he shouldn't have. He's caused all this and I bet my house Dubus had an argument with him to shut up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
See I don't see it that way. The contract negotiations took a turn when Shanny spoke out and took it to the media on Nylander's contract dispute. He proved to the group that he's not to be trusted and all the players are to him are monkeys in a circus. That screwed Dubas over in a big way in any chance of getting cap friendly contracts on the big 3.

If there's anybody to blame for the 3 contracts it's Shanny who should feel the brunt. Dubus was on track with the idea of building this team with a family like environment and Shanny crapped on this taking place by opening his trap to the Toronto media in an effort to stronghold negotiations.

It's not a coincidence that Shanny has only spoken twice to the media since than and on both occasions he's been pro group when really he shouldn't have. He's caused all this and I bet my house Dubus had an argument with him to shut up.
I'm not sure how much of an impact that ended up having, but I definitely agree with you that it was a mistake. Overall Nylander and Matthews have fine contracts that they should be able to live up to, but Marner is in a different boat. Part of it is because he felt disrespected by the organization under Lou and Babcock, and I think he's pretty justified in that

Reactions: stickty111

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
For a down year, he is really good. Marner will get stronger and find his groove. Just like Nylander did. Sure the contract could of been better and it might make the difference between home town hero or not but god, the posters on Torontos facebook page are nuts.

Marner and Nylander are cut down at every post.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
For a down year, he is really good. Marner will get stronger and find his groove. Just like Nylander did. Sure the contract could of been better and it might make the difference between home town hero or not but god, the posters on Torontos facebook page are nuts.

Marner I feel has been loved for the most part aside from certain individuals. Nylander is the one who has got undeserved hate.

Will Mitch Marner become star?
Look at this thread. As someone who has been critical of him this season, I defended him so much during that time. However, this time he deserves the hate. That time he didn't.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Sorry, the media has been light on Marner, and for the most part, fans as well...Nylander was crucified consistently, even on Hockey Night In Canada.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Unless Marner develops a shot and could score 40 goals, he'll never be Patrick Kane...I doubt Marner could even reach 30 goals consistently.

True. He NEEDS to build up his strength and edge work much better so he can control the puck effectively looking for the setup, much like kane. The odd flash of datsyukian magic without anything coming of it won't work for him

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner the 3 seasons prior to this year was by far the teams best overall player and most consistent with his compete. Nylander like Matthews was consistently inconsistent. What's changed this year with Marner is his compete. The only time his compete is where it should be is on the PK. The PK is where IMO is where he's been really good at, the rest of his game it's as if he lost this internal motion to prove himself.

There was a Gilmour like drive to his game that has gone MIA this year. If Keefe was to draw a list from the hardest working to the lowest, Marner would be near the bottom this year. His magic starts with his compete. When his compete is high he's very much a superstar that plays in all situations.

If I was coach both Marner and Matthews would have seen benching this year on numerous occasions... Nylander in spite of what people had to say about him last year his compete was never an issue. I said it than that he's turned the corner and only needs to discover his goal scoring touch and when he does look out.

Nylander's season isn't a surprise for me... Marner's is. Didn't expect him to forget what is the bread & water of his entire game that makes his skill level shine which was his compete.

Marner had never been the best player the last 3 years, let alone by far...he had one great year last year with Tavares being his centre...Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie! And he didn't have an elite play maker feeding him pucks, and had very limited power play time...Matthews would have scored 40 or more goals 4 years straight if it wasn't for injuries the last 2 years. Matthews has risen to another level this year, while Marner hasn't...and both got paid big money this year.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner had never been the best player the last 3 years...he had one great year last year with Tavares being his centre...Matthews scored 40 goals as a rookie! And he didn't have an elite play maker feeding him pucks, and had very limited power play time...Matthews would have scored 40 or more goals 4 years straight if it wasn't for injuries the last 2 years. Matthews has risen to another level this year, while Marner hasn't...and both got paid big money this year.

Bet any money if you could talk honestly and openly with JT right now, he would say the handling of the team under Dubas is a mess. JT looks almost like he can't believe this is actually happening to them right now. Shocked

Reactions: MJK

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Marner the 3 seasons prior to this year was by far the teams best overall player and most consistent with his compete. Nylander like Matthews was consistently inconsistent. What's changed this year with Marner is his compete. The only time his compete is where it should be is on the PK. The PK is where IMO is where he's been really good at, the rest of his game it's as if he lost this internal motion to prove himself.

There was a Gilmour like drive to his game that has gone MIA this year. If Keefe was to draw a list from the hardest working to the lowest, Marner would be near the bottom this year. His magic starts with his compete. When his compete is high he's very much a superstar that plays in all situations.

If I was coach both Marner and Matthews would have seen benching this year on numerous occasions... Nylander in spite of what people had to say about him last year his compete was never an issue. I said it than that he's turned the corner and only needs to discover his goal scoring touch and when he does look out.

Nylander's season isn't a surprise for me... Marner's is. Didn't expect him to forget what is the bread & water of his entire game that makes his skill level shine which was his compete.
Excellent assessment. Couldn’t agree more.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Bet any money if you could talk honestly and openly with JT right now, he would say the handling of the team under Dubas is a mess. JT looks almost like he can't believe this is actually happening to them right now. Shocked

He probably didn't realize some of these kids were so greedy...that their hearts aren't even in the right place...he gave the Isles a discount on his 2nd contract with them, then signed for less money as a UFA to join the Leafs when the Sharks were willing to pay him $13 million...I wonder how much money Marner would be asking for if he was a UFA instead of a RFA...$14 million? I mean, Dreger was pimping for his camp last July about "...brisk offersheet action...$12 to $13 million..."

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
True. He NEEDS to build up his strength and edge work much better so he can control the puck effectively looking for the setup, much like kane. The odd flash of datsyukian magic without anything coming of it won't work for him
Too much bieber lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would agree that his compete level was much higher in previous years but not really the idea that he has been our best overall player for those seasons at all.

Marner has a weird combination of a high skill level combined with a poor athletic package that means he has to go full tilt to make things work. He also has the gift of being extremely productive without having a massive impact on how the game is played. But whether it's the effects of the high ankle sprain or just a complacency to his game, he simply can't rely on his skill level alone to be effective shift to shift.

Reactions: MJK

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Unless Marner develops a shot and could score 40 goals, he'll never be Patrick Kane...I doubt Marner could even reach 30 goals consistently.

I see Marner more of a Joe Thornton-Patrick Kane hybrid. Thornton's only eclipsed 30 goals once while being a supreme playmaker.

Marner has Kane's style as a player but is more of a playmaker akin to Thornton. In his prime he could put up a ton of assists and be a 100+ point player some years.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I see Marner more of a Joe Thornton-Patrick Kane hybrid. Thornton's only eclipsed 30 goals once while being a supreme playmaker.

Marner has Kane's style as a player but is more of a playmaker akin to Thornton. In his prime he could put up a ton of assists and be a 100+ point player some years.
To be fair though, Kane only scored 30 once in his first 8 seasons. Became a PPG player once he started scoring more.

Marner is still just 22. Still a very real chance of him scoring more at this level.

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Actually, from a stylistic point of view, I think William Nylander is a bit closer to a Patrick Kane than Mitch Marner. Both have that deceptively strong base, have that effortless precision puck handling, head on a swivel, ability to hold the puck and a great arsenal of shots. Marner is a little more like Gaudreau, deft little touches, unexpected vision and creativity and sort of doing it without a lot of explosiveness or power.

Reactions: definedMF and MJK

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
If you can't see that he's been weak on his skates more than usual than I don't know what to say. He's lost a lot of agility this year which I believe is from his ankle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad