Tribute Mitch Marner Discussion- the all talk edition

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is there a video of this? That's very strong for a 175lbs kid.

I'll see if I can find it... here is 315lb

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017...al-signs-mark-streit-markovs-destination-air/

Even now, when he comes in to train, I think people don’t even recognize him. They see this kid walk off the street and into the gym and people are like, “He looks familiar, but there’s no way that guy plays in the NHL.” The one thing I tell people about Mitch is people underestimate how strong he is. He is probably, pound for pound, one of the strongest players in the NHL. I know people might argue with me about that and might think that’s crazy, but the kid is 170 pounds bouncing back and forth and can back squat 400 pounds parallel and has incredible body control

Big Read: The Skinny on Maple Leafs prospect Mitch Marner - Sportsnet.ca

Much has been said about Marner’s slight frame, but watch him in the gym and strength doesn’t seem to be an issue. At about six feet tall and 165 lb., he back-squats multiple reps at 375 lb. He worked with his performance coach, Dan Noble, from his eighth-grade year at The Hill Academy until the Leafs took over supervision of his training this summer.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'll see if I can find it... here is 315lb

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017...al-signs-mark-streit-markovs-destination-air/

Even now, when he comes in to train, I think people don’t even recognize him. They see this kid walk off the street and into the gym and people are like, “He looks familiar, but there’s no way that guy plays in the NHL.” The one thing I tell people about Mitch is people underestimate how strong he is. He is probably, pound for pound, one of the strongest players in the NHL. I know people might argue with me about that and might think that’s crazy, but the kid is 170 pounds bouncing back and forth and can back squat 400 pounds parallel and has incredible body control

Big Read: The Skinny on Maple Leafs prospect Mitch Marner - Sportsnet.ca

Much has been said about Marner’s slight frame, but watch him in the gym and strength doesn’t seem to be an issue. At about six feet tall and 165 lb., he back-squats multiple reps at 375 lb. He worked with his performance coach, Dan Noble, from his eighth-grade year at The Hill Academy until the Leafs took over supervision of his training this summer.

I won't doubt Noble's word. Had no idea Marner was that strong. Squatting 4 plates at his bodyweight is insane.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Every time i see Marner's girlfriend, i call my mom up to curse her for not getting a third job to put me in hockey.

Reactions: Al14

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
9.5, just slightly more than Rantanen was sensible. Hes 1.3ish million overpaid...which is a backup goalie price. I think it is a sizeable overpayment, especially considering he was an RFA. This is not anywhere the same as Tavares who was a UFA.

The difference between Matthews and Marner is much mlre than 700,000 per year.

I think Marner sets a precedence for a player like rielly. If im reilly, im not taking no pay cut if the savings are going into my young entitled teammates pocket.

If Winnipeg is signing their players to sensible contracts, it makes no sense that the leafs are overpaying.

Connor is getting just over 7 million for the next 7 years. He had 38 goals and 71 points in 73 games this year. Nobody can argue that hes 3.7 million worse than Marner. Marner will never hit 40. There is only 5 months between them. Not just that Marner has Matthews and Tavares as linemates to stuff his pockets with assists. What kind of stats would he have switching places with Barzal or Aho whose teams would score 20-40 less goals than the leafs...and 60-70 point linemates.

I like Marner as a draft pick. dont get me wrong. But his price makes me not be able to appreciate having him.

Hes a small, winger, with average speed and an average shot making 700 000 less than a 6'2 210lb 1st overall center who has been the best goal scorer in all of the NHL since stepping into the league.

Dubas let the glimmer of a Stanley Cup get in the way of managing the cap.

Also... i hate the cycling of the Assistant Captain between Marner and Matthews. Quit trying to hurt these entitled kids feelings. Give an A and move on.
Just give them to Muzzin and Mo permanently. Tell these two to take a step back and just play hockey for a couple of seasons. Everyone on the team and watching from the stands knows that they're part of the leadership group as a default already because of their skill. Let the skilled young veterans deal with the refs, media and bullshit. These two should be concentrating on becoming dominant players in the league--nothing else.

Besides, I think it's pretty ridiculous that Muzzin didn't get an A in the first place. Won the Stanley cup in a top 4 role, made the Canadian men's team, has played the most games--especially playoffs on the team except for Spezza and is very obviously a leader on the ice with the eye test.

TBH the Marner pick for A made me feel a little dirty when announced. Almost as if it was part of the contract negotiation. Feels like when someone gives themselves their own nickname and insists that everyone refers to them by that.

Last edited:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
9.5, just slightly more than Rantanen was sensible. Hes 1.3ish million overpaid...which is a backup goalie price. I think it is a sizeable overpayment, especially considering he was an RFA. This is not anywhere the same as Tavares who was a UFA.

The difference between Matthews and Marner is much mlre than 700,000 per year.

I think Marner sets a precedence for a player like rielly. If im reilly, im not taking no pay cut if the savings are going into my young entitled teammates pocket.

If Winnipeg is signing their players to sensible contracts, it makes no sense that the leafs are overpaying.

Connor is getting just over 7 million for the next 7 years. He had 38 goals and 71 points in 73 games this year. Nobody can argue that hes 3.7 million worse than Marner. Marner will never hit 40. There is only 5 months between them. Not just that Marner has Matthews and Tavares as linemates to stuff his pockets with assists. What kind of stats would he have switching places with Barzal or Aho whose teams would score 20-40 less goals than the leafs...and 60-70 point linemates.

I like Marner as a draft pick. dont get me wrong. But his price makes me not be able to appreciate having him.

Hes a small, winger, with average speed and an average shot making 700 000 less than a 6'2 210lb 1st overall center who has been the best goal scorer in all of the NHL since stepping into the league.

Dubas let the glimmer of a Stanley Cup get in the way of managing the cap.

Also... i hate the cycling of the Assistant Captain between Marner and Matthews. Quit trying to hurt these entitled kids feelings. Give an A and move on.
Double post

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just give them to Muzzin and Mo permanently. Tell these two to take a step back and just play hockey for a couple of seasons. Everyone on the team and watching from the stands knows that they're part of the leadership group as a default already because of their skill. Let the skilled young veterans deal with the refs, media and bullshit. These two should be concentrating on becoming dominant players in the league--nothing else.

Besides, I think it's pretty ridiculous that Muzzin didn't get an A in the first place. Won the Stanley cup in a top 4 role, made the Canadian men's team, has played the most games--especially playoffs on the team except for Spezza and is very obviously a leader on the ice with the eye test.

TBH the Marner pick for A made me feel a little dirty when announced. Almost as if it was part of the contract negotiation. Feels like when someone gives themselves their own nickname and insists that everyone refers to them by that.
The A was part of the negotiation

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Marner only took so much money because he saw what KD gave to Matthews.

Marner has been our best playoff producer.

Marner's career high in points is 14 more than austons.

Marner pk's.

Many of our players have had career years next to marner. The same can not be said for Matthews.

Marner has a history of being a winner and stepping up when it matters. Multiple mvp awards and titles.

Matthews hasn't won a play series in at least 5 years and has never been a team captain either.

When one player is so clearly ahead, and yet the other one gets the 3rd highest cap hit with the shortest term of the top ~25, I dont blame marner for going after the money.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Marner pk's.

Many of our players have had career years next to marner. The same can not be said for Matthews.

Marner has a history of being a winner and stepping up when it matters. Multiple mvp awards and titles.

Matthews hasn't won a play series in at least 5 years and has never been a team captain either.

When one player is so clearly ahead, and yet the other one gets the 3rd highest cap hit with the shortest term of the top ~25, I dont blame marner for going after the money.
Looks like the Nylander lovers ergo Marner is crap (even though he is 1000× better) still holds this forum. Chased away most of the real fans. I suppose when you have mods encouraging this crap, this is what happens. Sad. This forum used to talk about more substantive issues instead of allowing the trolls to run wild.
Oh well. I'll come back when flakes are muted by something interesting.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Looks like the Nylander lovers ergo Marner is crap (even though he is 1000× better) still holds this forum. Chased away most of the real fans. I suppose when you have mods encouraging this crap, this is what happens. Sad. This forum used to talk about more substantive issues instead of allowing the trolls to run wild.
This is possibly the most ironic post in the history of HF.

Well done.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Marner pk's.

Marner was playing with Tavares last season... an elite goal scoring center fresh off signing with his hometown team. Coming in with of energy. He also had Hyman. Talk about the perfect linemates.

Compare that to Matthews who got what ... Ennis, Kapanen, Johnsson, and a unconditioned Nylander.

If matthews gets to RFA he is given monster offsheet and probably multiple. Marner does not. 12+ million a year for a 5'10 pass first winger with average speed, and a average shot is way too risky. Especially one who just came off a 30 point jump in production while playing with Tavares.

I like Marner.. but he is not in the Matthews category and he is overpaid in comparison to his peers. He has had a horseshoe up his ass for linemates since juniors and always has had an exceptional cast of linemates.

This year many of his peers have closed the gap in points and valuability to their teams but are on much much better contracts.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Anyone able to work out the offensive numbers with Matty given Marners penalty kill time and Marner given more 5v5 time???

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I won't doubt Noble's word. Had no idea Marner was that strong. Squatting 4 plates at his bodyweight is insane.

Especially if you're just using it as an accessory exercise. I doubt he's doing a lot of one-rep maxes or training for a big squat like a powerlifter would.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Anyone able to work out the offensive numbers with Matty given Marners penalty kill time and Marner given more 5v5 time???
I did it in the other Marner thread and compared Eichel in there also. Marner comes out on top of Eichel and neck and neck with Matthews. Some people just shoot there mouth of with nothing to back it as we know.

Same as the ones that clammed up on Nylander’s contract after the poison that came out them on that. There’s none around yapping how terrible that contract is any longer. They have 2 clues, ones running and they other one is chasing it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner was playing with Tavares last season... an elite goal scoring center fresh off signing with his hometown team. Coming in with of energy. He also had Hyman. Talk about the perfect linemates.

Compare that to Matthews who got what ... Ennis, Kapanen, Johnsson, and a unconditioned Nylander.

If matthews gets to RFA he is given monster offsheet and probably multiple. Marner does not. 12+ million a year for a 5'10 pass first winger with average speed, and a average shot is way too risky. Especially one who just came off a 30 point jump in production while playing with Tavares.

I like Marner.. but he is not in the Matthews category and he is overpaid in comparison to his peers. He has had a horseshoe up his ass for linemates since juniors and always has had an exceptional cast of linemates.

This year many of his peers have closed the gap in points and valuability to their teams but are on much much better contracts.
Go shake yer pillow! Thats so off the edge

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Toronto Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner and Olympic Gold Medallist Natalie Spooner join Ron MacLean on In Conversation to discuss how the two are keeping busy during the Covid-19 outbreak and how they continue developing their hockey skills.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

images

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Marner pk's.

Marner isn't a Goal scorer and he isn't a center. Period.

If he took 900k less none of this is even a talking point.

Look at Rantanen or Kucherov(UFA) and all the other RFA signings last year.

Reactions: stickty111

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Marner pk's.

Looks like hes gonna take 25 % pay cut as per the NBA
but I think brian burke was bang on at 40%
Or shut the league down and start fresh
All gate driven leagues need fans and even when they open up will fans come back ?
Or what happens if the second wave hits at the hockey level
Hockey is the most vulnerable of the big 4 sports

NFL MLB NBA and soccer golf can generate money from TV
the nhl is not close

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When you act like your Mr. Toronto, you better perform like your the best player and Marner hasn't shown that.
Matthews has also been our best playoff performer, where Marner has only had 1 good playoffs, and in the 2 he hasn't, he has been given excuses by the supporters.
Matthews has been clearly the better player and this season it wasn't even close.
Marner is a penalty killer on a PK which hasn't been good results wise.

Marner has been on amazing lines, so the MVP's aren't that impressive. While Matthews has been usually on worse lines but his play was miles better then Marner, and clearly settled in as a leader on this team.
Marner just called out other players but never backed up the comments with his play.

Marner supporters can't understand he is behind Matthews and closer to Nylander as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad