Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
I too think this is wishful thinking. Nothing below 10M per. Marner's agent was quoted as saying Matthews and Nylander did not take team discounts and that Marner already gave the Leafs a discount. Why should Mitch? He's already digging in his heals and he knows Dubas will ante up. Because that is what Dubas does.

When did Marner give the Leafs a discount?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Stone 8x9.5 is a interesting comparable. Could see Leafs pushing for close to the same.
Taxes in Nevada arent the same at all.

And Marner is also 6 years younger...

So yah, Marner will get min 11 on the market this summer.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You have to wonder if the Leafs try to go about it another way. Sit Marner and his agent down and explain to him this.

We will sign you to a one year deal for eight million. Yes we know that it is under market value but hear us out. After that year we will have been able to lock Johnsson and Kapanen in long term and have Marleau’s six million come off the books. We will then sign you to Matthews / Tavares money.

Yeah... great, then, he gets caried out on a stretcher w/ a destroyed ACL, misses the whole year... What's is worth there?

ZERO chance of that happening. None. The first thing players are looking for is deal where they woN't have to think abbout their future

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You guys overreact to small overpayments. If Marner gets 10.5 instead of 9.5 or 10, is it really going to cripple the Leafs?

Let's say Tavares, Matthews, and Marner are collectively overpaid by 3-4 million by HFBoards standards...given the size of the cap and the fact that it's increasing...it really doesn't have a huge impact.

Sure, 3 million could be used to sign a #4-5 d-man...but if you're in such dire straits for cap space, maybe it has less to do with the contracts and more to do with asset management / who you are giving out the contracts to.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It an interesting and ideal dilemma for the leafs to have. I think they end up signing Marner. They’d be fools not too. But in order to make it work they will likely have to wave bye bye to Kapanen or Nylander. Johnsson I don’t think will command as much money.

Sign Marner for the exact same contract as Matthews.

Trade nylander for a top 4 defencemen making in the neighbourhood of 4-4.5. (Brett Pesce) Sign Kapanen and Johnsson to a bridge contract. Sign Gardiner back up for. 4-5 year at 4-5 mil

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen

Reilly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Pesce

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
It an interesting and ideal dilemma for the leafs to have. I think they end up signing Marner. They’d be fools not too. But in order to make it work they will likely have to wave bye bye to Kapanen or Nylander. Johnsson I don’t think will command as much money.

Sign Marner for the exact same contract as Matthews.

Trade nylander for a top 4 defencemen making in the neighbourhood of 4-4.5. (Brett Pesce) Sign Kapanen and Johnsson to a bridge contract. Sign Gardiner back up for. 4-5 year at 4-5 mil

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen

Reilly - Muzzin
Gardiner - Pesce

Nylander doesn't get you Pesche w/out a significant add...

7M$ for that kind of offensive produciton is NOT good

AND, BTW, Gardiner isn't a Leaf next year. They won't be able to sign him. He'll get easily 6/7 on the open market, why sign for 4-5 @ Toronto?

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
True, but one was a UFA (in as little as 20 games) and one is a guy coming straight out of ELC.
Normally I'd say your correct but seems doesn't matter anymore whether your a UFA or RFA your getting paid. Mathews contract proves that to me. However we've seen a few deals now Draisatl, Nylander, Eichel wear guys made huge coin in RFA.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
The Stone/Kucherov contracts set the bar.

Even if he sets the house on fire down the stretch and playoff time, he isn't worth more than 9.5

Kucherov is better than Matthews. Shouldn't that have set the bar for him?

Clearly not because Dubas can't negotiate.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Nylander doesn't get you Pesche w/out a significant add...

7M$ for that kind of offensive produciton is NOT good

AND, BTW, Gardiner isn't a Leaf next year. They won't be able to sign him. He'll get easily 6/7 on the open market, why sign for 4-5 @ Toronto?

With regard to Nylander's production this season, you seriously think NHL gm's are that dumb?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I don’t necessarily see Stone’s contract setting the bar for Marner.

Stone’s best season was 64pts.
Marner hit 61pts his first year, beat it his 2nd year and has already passed 70+pts this year.

Stone was a late round pick (6th) who blossomed about 5 yrs after his draft.

Marner was a #4 overall who was putting up big numbers his first NHL season (after 1 year in juniors, post draft)

Plus there is the fact that there are tax differences between Toronto and Las Vegas (or Tampa, in Kucherov’s case). Players pay no state taxes on their personal income in Las Vegas.

Personally, I think Marner gets more than Stone. My guess is at least $10M per, maybe more.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I said last summer that Marner is shooting for 10+ mill and I got my head taken off saying that will never happen. wtf people.

He's not getting less unless he signs for a bridge like 2-3 year deal for 7.5-8

Reactions: powerstuck

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
it is very well known Kucherov took a big discount to stay with a winning team and allow better players to be signed.
That's pretty much the opposite of Mathews who took every last cent and didn't even give term. Feel bad for Leafs really hope they win within the next 5 as Mathews is all about the money and would have been almost impossible to keep all these guys together very long anyway.

Reactions: Oley49

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That's pretty much the opposite of Mathews who took every last cent and didn't even give term. Feel bad for Leafs really hope they win within the next 5 as Mathews is all about the money and would have been almost impossible to keep all these guys together very long anyway.
yeah if leafs dont win this year, they will more than likely be gutted before they win anything. 1 step forward 2 steps back

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
True, but one was a UFA (in as little as 20 games) and one is a guy coming straight out of ELC.

This is literally the exact same argument that a lot of fans had as to why Matthews would make less on an 8 year deal than Tavares.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
yeah if leafs dont win this year, they will more than likely be gutted before they win anything. 1 step forward 2 steps back
I think they'll be ok a few years and I'm sorry if your being sarcastic really not sure haha. Depth will take a hit but they will manage a few years I'm thinking. As long as the Marlies keep developing the kids they can have a bunch of ELC on bottom 6 and bottom 2 pairings to balance out the big deals upfront.

Reactions: Oley49

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Cap hell is having too many bad players signed to bad contracts.

Having too many good players to afford is not a hell of any kind. The worst case scenario for the Leafs is they lose 1 good player (Johnsson or Kapanen). Is it ideal? No. Is it some great calamity? No.
Reposting this again

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
With regard to Nylander's production this season, you seriously think NHL gm's are that dumb?

The NHL is a "What have you done for me lately" run league.

That's the exact reason why Zaitsev can't be traded cause he's been awful for at least a full year.

Nylander was good last year, and he's been mediocre this year.

Why would a GM give you a good top3D on a good contract that's been performing very well the last couple of years for a winger that has been underperforming ever since the beginning of the season / when he signed AND who's paif 7M$ a year.

Until Nylander proves he can pick the pace up, he's not worth Pesce.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I too think this is wishful thinking. Nothing below 10M per. Marner's agent was quoted as saying Matthews and Nylander did not take team discounts and that Marner already gave the Leafs a discount. Why should Mitch? He's already digging in his heals and he knows Dubas will ante up. Because that is what Dubas does.
Or another team will ante up because GMs do what GMs do. It is their job to build a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad