Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't agree with 13 but i do think he's worth as much as Auston. Matthews is the better scorer but Mitch makes everyone around him way better(just ask Tavares whom he would rather play with) and has a way better engine(kid barely looks tired out there) compared to Matthews and that's very important.

Statistics from the start of their careers show that Tavares and Matthews pretty much always make their linemates much better. For Mitch the statistics show that he sometimes makes his linemates somewhat better.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You don't fear what you can't control. If some team offers Marner something you don't agree with, take the picks and walk.

After doing so you explore other options.
Seriously. What's there to be scared of. He's a superstar, yes. If he leaves, it'll suck huge no doubt. But we'll be compensated accordingly. It's out of the Leafs control if he wants to take an OS.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Just look at the results, the overpay, the huge drama with Mitch right now. The overpay causing Marners camp to go public. He said he would get us team friendly deals, he did not but lied and said the pay to Matthews was fair, everyone knows it was not. Burke called him out. In my opinion he is all smoke,

I never said factually btw, how I perceive him.

My goodness. Anyone who had paid any attention should have known for years that negotiating with both the Marner and Nylander camps were going to be disasters.

Also he never said that he was going to get team friendly deals so I don't know why you would start that lie.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Statistics from the start of their careers show that Tavares and Matthews pretty much always make their linemates much better. For Mitch the statistics show that he sometimes makes his linemates somewhat better.

Who needs stats when you can talk in lazy media narratives and sports cliches. Marner has more elite heart than all the players in the NHL you can't let a player like that go he blocks shots and doesn't afraid of anything. #HDMH #HOMETOWNHERO #CANADIAN #OVERPAYNOMATTERWHAT

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
How can we survive with Matthews and Marner making 11.6 each? How many years will we have to waste before the cap rises enough to make those contracts palatable? Matthews contract might be up by the anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Same. It’s kind of sad that the Nylander contract is starting to look like the best now. Other teams top guys took pay cuts to stay together. Ours didn’t.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Just look at the results, the overpay, the huge drama with Mitch right now. The overpay causing Marners camp to go public. He said he would get us team friendly deals, he did not but lied and said the pay to Matthews was fair, everyone knows it was not. Burke called him out. In my opinion he is all smoke,

I never said factually btw, how I perceive him.

Dubas lied you say? That’s a definitive statement. It’s not excused by a statement qualifying the statement. It’s you calling someone a liar.

Besides a hunch or perception or a wish, what do you know that causes you to say to a certainty that Dubas lied?

Because he said he would do something but didn’t? Because he provided an opinion on fair pay that differs from your perception of fair and your perception of what “everyone knows”?

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Out of all the RFAs, including Point, Aho, Rantanen,Tkachuk, Meier, Boeser, McAvoy, Trouba, Conner, Laine, Werenski, Provorov, etc.

Which one them would you think should have a better contract than Marner and what would that better contract be?

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Marners closest comparable imo is Kane (minus all the hardware), his first contract after his ELC was $6.3m/5 years, 11,09% of the cap. Just above $9 million/5 years with the 2019/2020 $81.5m cap.

It's insane what his camp is demanding.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas lied you say? That’s a definitive statement. It’s not excused by a statement qualifying the statement. It’s you calling someone a liar.

Besides a hunch or perception or a wish, what do you know that causes you to say to a certainty that Dubas lied?

Because he said he would do something but didn’t? Because he provided an opinion on fair pay that differs from your perception of fair and your perception of what “everyone knows”?

Whatever, fine to him the Matthews contract was good value. I still think he is BS artist and a crap GM. Everyone is a liar or has lied though, but it doesn't matter. I have no faith in him at all. I look at comments like that Matthews comment as a pile of BS and he knows that deal is not a good or fair deal, that's BS and only reality in his mind.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I have been busy but I meant to bring this "speculation" to the board. Apparently, Marners Hofford connection in ARI is huge as he played for most of his teams growing up when other top teams didn't value him. They are willing to offer 12.5-13m and the Islanders 12-12.5. My buddy is connected... I told him there's no chance.

It did make me think and I wanted to throw it out to the crowd ,do any of these scenarios make sense? Would you be fine with him signing these particular hypothetical scenarios and us saying NO GUY?

I'm in the NO GUY territory. The four firsts in a cap system are huge.

My gut thoughts are he meets with them and then shies away and signs with us.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb and Doug Gilmour

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
His line was tasked with stopping Boston's top line.
His line was tasked in beating Boston's top line and failed. It might be a simple formula, but really many times Connor
Brown wouldn't get a point, wouldn't get scored against. This is a simple thing, but something Marner isn't capable of
doing yet. He ends up a minus player way too often if he doesn't score to cover his weaknesses. Granted with his age,
I'd expect this with him and other players of his age and I just can't justify his contract demands. Signing Marner to a big
contract now would definitely not a win now situation, because he's not a winner yet. Otherwise he defeats Boston.
It wasn't the expectations on the Leaf's 3rd or 4th line players... not one of them were a minus player that let the team down.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I have been busy but I meant to bring this "speculation" to the board. Apparently, Marners Hofford connection in ARI is huge as he played for most of his teams growing up when other top teamts didn't value him. They are willing to offer 12.5-13m and the Islanders 12-12.5. My buddy is connected I told him there's no chance.

I did make me think and I wanted to throw it out to the crowd ,do any of these scenarios make sense? Would you be fine with him signing these particular hypothetica scenarios and us saying NO GUY?

Sign away Mitch it's all about the money

Reactions: kb and ktownhockey

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I have been busy but I meant to bring this "speculation" to the board. Apparently, Marners Hofford connection in ARI is huge as he played for most of his teams growing up when other top teamts didn't value him. They are willing to offer 12.5-13m and the Islanders 12-12.5. My buddy is connected I told him there's no chance.

I did make me think and I wanted to throw it out to the crowd ,do any of these scenarios make sense? Would you be fine with him signing these particular hypothetica scenarios and us saying NO GUY?

If those offers are true and he signs them, he better be ready to not be a Leaf and lose all those endorsements to boot...even with that kind of salary, he will net out on the losing end than if plays for Toronto at a reduced salary, but with the upfront signing bonuses and endorsements. I still don't see any offersheet for that kind of money...if Lou offers Marner $12 to $12.5 million, he would have to pay Barzal in the $11 million plus range when he's a RFA...it would screw up their entire salary structure.

Reactions: kb and ktownhockey

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015

Don't know anything about ARI, but Sweet Lou the curmudgeon is running the island ...no way he offers the house to Marner.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sign away Mitch it's all about the money

It is all about the money. Nylander and the Matthews ensured that would be the way. Dubas just made it easy.

I am pretty hot under the collar right now looking at the cap situation and our D, it's like belief in the Easter Bunny, I knew it was going to happen, I called it, but now that we are in it all i see is a team with terrible D or losing up to 2/3 of the big 3.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga

4 Coyotes 1st round picks is best case offer sheet scenario IMO

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
His line was tasked in beating Boston's top line and failed. It might be a simple formula, but really many times Connor
Brown wouldn't get a point, wouldn't get scored against. This is a simple thing, but something Marner isn't capable of
doing yet. He ends up a minus player way too often if he doesn't score to cover his weaknesses. Granted with his age,
I'd expect this with him and other players of his age and I just can't justify his contract demands. Signing Marner to a big
contract now would definitely not a win now situation, because he's not a winner yet. Otherwise he defeats Boston.
It wasn't the expectations on the Leaf's 3rd or 4th line players... not one of them were a minus player that let the team down.

Dude paragraph... Unreadable.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
If those offers are true and he signs them, he better be ready to not be a Leaf and lose all those endorsements to boot...even with that kind of salary, he will net out on the losing end than if plays for Toronto at a reduced salary, but with the upfront signing bonuses and endorsements. I still don't see any offersheet for that kind of money...if Lou offers Marner $12 to $12.5 million, he would have to pay Barzal in the $11 million plus range when he's a RFA...it would screw up their entire salary structure.
I agree 1000000 percent!!!

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Dubas could pull a huge image move by signing Panarin and just letting Marner rot.

But I don't see him doing it.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad