Recalled/Assigned: Mitch Callahan

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
long time since the wings have had a guy that would do this

Hopefully we'll see some of this,

or this with some finish

And of course Kindl still sucking there on the Cally goal. Is he a UFA soon?

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Like this move. Give him a look see what he can do. Always liked watching players debut. Can just imagine the the amount of excitement for them.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Interesting quote from Cally regarding his lack of fighting as some posters have brought up:

“Blash (Griffins coach Jeff Blashill) really wants me to have a better role on the team, so fighting sometimes has to wait when you’re playing top-two line minutes and that’s OK. But that’s what got me drafted in the NHL, my agitating and fighting ways. Hopefully I can do a little bit of both when I’m here.â€

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/03/mitch_callahan_looks_to_be_phy.html#incart_river

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Said this in the post game thread but I thought Callahan had a pretty good NHL debut out there.

He had some solid defensive plays, one good scoring chance and a really nice feed to Andy for a scoring chance cross ice. His speed wasnt blazing but definitely looked above average. He finished his hits and got in a scrum as well with Comeau which above all was nice because he was sticking up for Smith (the only guy on the team who doesnt need it really).

Ended up with 9 minutes (more than Tootoo gets lol)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It will be interesting to see if Holland signs him. Does he have to sign Mitch to a NHL contract? I imagine it can be a two-way contract? Anyone familiar?

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
It will be interesting to see if Holland signs him. Does he have to sign Mitch to a NHL contract? I imagine it can be a two-way contract? Anyone familiar?

He is signed to a two way NHL contract, and has been for three years now.
His contract expires after this season and he will be a RFA.

Thought Callahan had some jump tonight and didn't look too bad.
Unfortunately Andersson really held back that line as Helm also looked good tonight.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I want to see more. I liked what I seen of him, but that was obviously in a very limited capacity. I don't really think we'll be seeing much of him until training camp though. He's simply not going to jump the likes of Andersson/Bertuzzi at this point in the season and Jurco is on the verge of returning as well as Abdelkader and hopefully Pav.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Well...yea...otherwise he wouldn't have played tonight

I misunderstood your question I guess.

Callahan is not signed next year and must be issued a qualifying NHL contract offer for Detroit to retain his rights as a Restricted Free Agent.
Detroit WILL do this.

Callahan will not be waiver exempt next year.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Callahan is not signed next year and must be issued a qualifying NHL contract offer for Detroit to retain his rights as a Restricted Free Agent.
Detroit WILL do this.

Thank you, this does answer my question

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI

Detroit WILL do this.

Don't get worried Kenny will, let Dan the man go and trade Callahan to get him back!!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I want to see more. I liked what I seen of him, but that was obviously in a very limited capacity. I don't really think we'll be seeing much of him until training camp though. He's simply not going to jump the likes of Andersson/Bertuzzi at this point in the season and Jurco is on the verge of returning as well as Abdelkader and hopefully Pav.

I unfortunately agree with this. He might play Thursday but theres no way hes playing after that with guys coming back. If it comes down to it, I really hope Andersson is gone next year over Callahan if ti comes down to one of those 2 getting a spot as a winger.

I know it was just one game but I really did like what I saw and given what this team is lacking Callahan is worth keeping as the 13th forward and developing at the very least.

Seeing the effect Glendenings agitating game has had against some teams is encouraging because Callahan is more of a pest. Callahan also did more tonight than Ferraro did in either game he played

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
I unfortunately agree with this. He might play Thursday but theres no way hes playing after that with guys coming back. If it comes down to it, I really hope Andersson is gone next year over Callahan if ti comes down to one of those 2 getting a spot as a winger.

I know it was just one game but I really did like what I saw and given what this team is lacking Callahan is worth keeping as the 13th forward and developing at the very least.

Seeing the effect Glendenings agitating game has had against some teams is encouraging because Callahan is more of a pest. Callahan also did more tonight than Ferraro did in either game he played

agreed. i think cally has passed ferraro as far as org. depth goes, which might be significant because one could be the 14th forward next year while the other gets cut. i'd like to see more from cally as well, and would ice him over both andy and bert

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I liked Callahan's hustle and energy. Skating was acceptable. Wasn't irresponsible out there and appeared to make good decisions. He performed pretty much how I hoped he would for his first game. Which turned out to be better than any of Ferraro's 4 games (largely by virtue of the fact that he didn't have any horrible turnovers).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I liked him a lot. He went after Comeau but Comeau wasn't interested..
Right now we have even one guy who is interested about defending their own team mates.. And he's the only one.

Hope he gets place in the roster next year. Something like Callahan - Helm - Glendening would be epic fourth line.

Well is he going back to GR now?

He'll be up for Thursdays game at least because they dont know if Jurco can go or not. After last nights game and how Bert played, maybe he could stick in the lineup even if Jurco is back. I doubt it but you never know

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
He played far, far better than Ferraro.

I'd honestly prefer that Callahan play over Bertuzzi, but that couldn't be done without waiving the latter.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He played far, far better than Ferraro.

I'd honestly prefer that Callahan play over Bertuzzi, but that couldn't be done without waiving the latter.

Or tell Bert to be a team player...fake an injury and go on IR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad