Recalled/Assigned: Mitch Callahan

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 1m
Wings recalled LW Mitch Callahan (@Mcally15) from the @griffinshockey & assigned center Landon Ferraro to Griffins.

Not sure what the chances of him actually playing are? Bert should be back Tuesday I'd assume.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Not sure what the chances of him actually playing are? Bert should be back Tuesday I'd assume.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played for Emmerton. We have 4 centers with Helm and Andy back, and we have 4 PKers with Helm/Glendening and Miller/Andy.

Word yesterday before Bertuzzi was out with the flu was that Ferraro would play and Emmerton would sit.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Hopefully he plays and shows more than Ferraro did. Prey much the last GR forward I really want to see this year, so I'm happy he's finally been called up.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Yeah hopefully he'll fill in for Emmerton on the wing....had that brutal turnover last night when he flubbed the cross ice pass and gave the Wild a great scoring chance....so done with him...hopefully Babcock feels the same way.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Hope he gets a few games so we can at least see how he looks at the NHL level compared to Ferraro (who I found rather underwhelming, even considering it was his first taste of the NHL).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A Callahan-Helm-Glendening line would be pretty sweet IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How does he compare to Ferraro?

Callahan is considerably heavier and stronger, though not as fast.

Pretty sure Ferraro was a better penalty killer in the AHL, and has a better wrist shot, though Callahan has been lighting the lamp all year in GR.

Can fight against middleweights or similar sizes guys, but is not an enforcer or tough guy by any means.

Don't watch a ton of GR, so I'm sure others can elaborate more.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Callahan scored a beauty goal during the preseason. Made a Datsyuk-like stick lift to create separation and then made a subtle Datsyuk-like backhand to forehand shelf.

Looking at his numbers in GR, he seems to have some offensive ability that maybe we overlooked as his early days as a "tough, scrappy" prospect.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Another debut...awesome! Safe bet that if they're calling him up, he's up to play. I wonder if he's a secret weapon for facing the Jackets. Must be looking for more snarl.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How does he compare to Ferraro?

I've been saying this for a while but he should've got the call up over Ferraro, Callahan is having a great season down there and they both play similar roles, just that Callahan has been better.

Callahan was actually on the top PK pairing for a good chunk of the year with Jarnkrok in GR and I actually just read he leads GR in short handed goals this season which used to be Ferraros thing. He doesnt have elite speed but hes fast and good on the forecheck. The biggest difference I think between the two will be how much bigger/stronger Callahan is than Ferraro. Hes also shown a great touch around the net which has got him 25 goals this year while playing on the bottom lines mostly and not getting a tonne of PP time at the start of the year. The agitating that Glendening showed in GR wasnt as high as Callahan either. Glendening is really effective in the NHL, so it will be interesting to see if Callahan can piss guys off too. Having 2 guys doing what Glendening has been doing would be awesome

Hes also on a tear in GR right now while Ferraro had been rather underwhelming production wise for a while. If anything this call up will show that what hes been doing is appreciated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad