Mississauga Steelheads 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Speaking the truth about the way Richmond has handled the goalie situation is not taking shots at him. It is the truth. It is a point made by several other posters as well. In order to be "better" a player needs to play consistently which Richmond has failed to do. Developing a player is not what has happened here at all. You are able to say what you like, and I respect your opinion, but I believe that myself and the other posters of the same opinion deserve the same respect in return.

there are many other goalies in the ohl who dont play consistently but produce. would you like a list?

spencer martin is one of the best goalies in steelheads history and only started 15 games as a rookie, heck, there's a 17 year old in owen sound who has 11 starts and has a 900 save.

if your not emotionally attached, you see things clearer.

Last edited:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
there are many other goalies in the ohl who dont play consistently but produce. would you like a list?

spencer martin is one of the best goalies in steelheads history and only started 15 games as a rookie, heck, there's a 17 year old in owen sound who has 11 starts and has a 900 save.

if your not emotionally attached, you see things clearer.

Spencer Martin started 15 games as a rookie, correct, followed by 46 his second year. Lucas Pfeil in Kitchener has started 17 behind Ingham, Tristan Lennox has started 27, Joe Vrbetic started 37, Silvos and Greaves in Barrie 27 & 28 GP now ahead of Missy, Campbell 24 GP, Cavalin in Flint 20 GP, Austin in Petes 16 GP. Maybe it is you that should read the list and see thing clearer.

FYI- All of the teams these goalies play on, minus Vrbetic are all ahead of Mississauga. With the exceptions of Silvos and Greaves, these are all 2002 goalies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
This will be a tough weekend ahead. Flint has been hot as a Zippo lighter lately. Barrie has been doing well since the coaching change. The Colts are ahead of the Trout by a couple points and have a couple in hand. Hopefully they get some scoring touch back, and clean up some of the turnovers.

Will be interesting to see Flint, what a change there over the last 14 months!

Reactions: Blueliner65

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Spencer Martin started 15 games as a rookie, correct, followed by 46 his second year. Lucas Pfeil in Kitchener has started 17 behind Ingham, Tristan Lennox has started 27, Joe Vrbetic started 37, Silvos and Greaves in Barrie 27 & 28 GP now ahead of Missy, Campbell 24 GP, Cavalin in Flint 20 GP, Austin in Petes 16 GP. Maybe it is you that should read the list and see thing clearer.

FYI- All of the teams these goalies play on, minus Vrbetic are all ahead of Mississauga. With the exceptions of Silvos and Greaves, these are all 2002 goalies.

your initial post was that goalies cant get good if they dont play, so martin shouldnt have ever been a star in mississauga, he only played 15 games. maybe its not all about games?

the difference between guys like vrbetic and chenard and ranger is they have preferred a decently enough to get more starts. ranger hasnt. simple as that. sucks for the kid im sure he wants to get better, but he hasnt. if your telling me that you have to play to be good, then how is chenard in owen sound a 900 sv with as many games as ranger? if its based on games, chenard should be just as poor as ranger, but hes not.

when your emotionally i involved, which you are based on your almost 3 years of posts, you dont see clearly and blame everyone else. could they have started him more? maybe, but the kid needs to step up and play better as well. its on him as much as anyone.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
your initial post was that goalies cant get good if they dont play, so martin shouldnt have ever been a star in mississauga, he only played 15 games. maybe its not all about games?

the difference between guys like vrbetic and chenard and ranger is they have preferred a decently enough to get more starts. ranger hasnt. simple as that. sucks for the kid im sure he wants to get better, but he hasnt. if your telling me that you have to play to be good, then how is chenard in owen sound a 900 sv with as many games as ranger? if its based on games, chenard should be just as poor as ranger, but hes not.

when your emotionally i involved, which you are based on your almost 3 years of posts, you dont see clearly and blame everyone else. could they have started him more? maybe, but the kid needs to step up and play better as well. its on him as much as anyone.

The “play to get better” statement is where this post ends. That is the most ridiculous comment I’ve read yet.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The “play to get better” statement is where this post ends. That is the most ridiculous comment I’ve read yet.

yet the point stands, there are plenty of goalies who dont play weekly and are fine and put up good numbers. it sucks when you have to look in the mirror and say 'the kid has to be better', but he does. like i said, if others can succeed with limited ice, he should be able to as well, if he's a stud like youve said before. its amazing that martin played 15 games yet still was one of the best goalies in ontario 3 years later. according to you, only playing 15 games should stunt his development and he's never going to recover...interesting. ypur kid has to play more, but he has to be better as well. its hard to look in the mirror when you can just blame someone else.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Should be a real test tonight as the Firebirds are on quite a roll. Barrie will not be easy as well, they have really turned things around, looks like they may catch the Wolves for first.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
RE: Portokalis...
If memory serves, I think he ranked among the best rookies in the off-ice testing (maybe even on-ice too, I'd have to check) held not long after the OHL draft.

Pls expound on this, what tests are the players subjected to? TIA.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
RE: Portokalis...
If memory serves, I think he ranked among the best rookies in the off-ice testing (maybe even on-ice too, I'd have to check) held not long after the OHL draft.

And was a great 2nd pick for Missy.
Unfortunately if they are not a 1st pick, a traded player or OA; good luck year 1-2 to see quality ice time.

Reactions: Tarantula

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Well...here we are talking Porto today and Canade gets hurt and #21 gets more ice, scores, fills in on the specialty team and does well. Way to go.
Nice push back Missy but a bit too little too late.
Big game Sunday.

SteelGirl

Jan 21, 2018
Despite tonight's loss, the team had a strong third period, even crawling back to make it 4-3 at one point. Unfortunately, as many Steelheads fans learned tonight the hard way, Firebird fans and Canadian beer are not a good "winning" combination....lol.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Flint are a fast team and had Sauga chasing them and the puck for quite a while. I don't recall seing them on their heels for the stretches they were nor the breakaway threats.

Glad to see Portakalis hit the twine. Would be nice to see him develop into a top 6 role.

Tough run lately, a big comeback against Kitch, a almost comeback against Ott, and another almost tonight. Bad news as their foe on Sunday, Barrie, is on a run as well. Going to be a good one.

Blueliner65

Sep 21, 2019
Big game today.
Team on a down trend and slipping maybe Ranger gets in to change things up? Thought he might go in Friday and he looked good in relief for Edmonds last few times.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
That was a surprise, with the Trout not scoring lately and a hot Barrie team coming in I didn't expect the score sheet to fill up as it did. Barrie did not have their best game, but take the two points while you can.

Canade left Friday and was a scratch today. He was quite animated as he went to the dressing room, have to wonder if it was pain or if he suspects he may be out for a bit.

The Trout were throwing the puck down the ice quite a bit today, and were aggressive with their Dmen at times in the O zone, only having one man back. Cost them a couple times.

Nice bounce back, hopefully they can keep it rolling.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Canade was just listed on their injury report as being day to day with an upper-body injury so hopefully he'll be back this weekend. Good to hear as i was concerned as well when we saw him head off the ice

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Tough one, Saginaw had the edge early, looks like the Trout were not quite ready at puck drop.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

Hunter Jones played 15 games as a rookie and the next season played 57 games and this has played 48 games with 8 games to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad