Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I can just imagine these boards if this identical play had happen against the Canadian team, the outcry would have been incredible, the fans at the game might have rioted!!

It did, many times in the American game. One example: An American defenseman slashed Howden as he was streaking towards Campbell and then on the follow through highsticked his own goalie. The ref gave Howden the penalty.

Stuff happens. If the Swedish goalie wants to get angry with anyone get angry with your own players who gave a half-hearted effort while the Russian players hustled to the puck. You can clearly hear the second linesman yelling No! No! No! Now what I find strange is that most Swedes speak English as a second language whereas most Russian players at this level don't speak a word. The Russians understood the No but the Swedes didn't.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Whether the call was correct or not can be argued for days. But the real mistake was Lehner not playing the puck. Right, or wrong the linesman was yelling, no, no, no.....anyone who has ever played the game in an organized league, much less having already made the AHL, knows the linesman is talking about NO icing..... why Lehner sat in his net and didn't play the puck is what the goalie should be explaining after the game.

Nope.

The puck was dangerously close to the net, so he had to keep his eye on the puck the whole time.

As for hearing "no, no, no"...that could have been anyone, you do not rely on what you hear unless it is a whistle.

It was a blown call, it should not have been waved off, and the Swedish team is NOT to blame for not playing through the whistle. The linesmen are 100% to blame for not blowing the whistle as soon as the puck crossed the goal line.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
An icing play should never decide a hockey game. You play until the whistle blows period. If the Swedes are so feeble-minded, that a simple blown icing play decides a game, then they have no business playing international hockey. The reffing in international hockey has always been erratic. Canada has been on the wrong side of international refereeing (ie. penalties for hitting too hard) but fight through it. The Swedes seemed to expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter but instead will be playing for bronze!

lol @ use of "feeble minded"

It was a missed call by the linesmen that directly resulted in a goal against.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nope.

The puck was dangerously close to the net, so he had to keep his eye on the puck the whole time.

As for hearing "no, no, no"...that could have been anyone, you do not rely on what you hear unless it is a whistle.

It was a blown call, it should not have been waved off, and the Swedish team is NOT to blame for not playing through the whistle. The linesmen are 100% to blame for not blowing the whistle as soon as the puck crossed the goal line.

I thought it was not a good call, much like the two or three others you see each game. (What happens if the USA ot the Swedes score on their pp's that were a result of their own player hitting their guy in the head with a stick.)

To totally absolve the Swedes of any blame for not playing when there was no whistle is silly. (It is not like there WAS a whistle and they stopped playing.)

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Nope.

The Swedish defenseman should have made an attempt on the puck. I would wager that had he even tried to reach it, the icing would have been called.

hefsbeaver

Jun 20, 2009
Nope.

true I agree it was a miised call, however Sweeden was up a goal late in the third and let it slip, the missed call cost them a goal but not the game.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
No I think he meant that if Canada were in Sweden's place, the refs wouldn't have done that. I see where people can get offended by that remark because it insinuates favoritism.

He quite clearly says that it wouldn't have happened in a match against Canada. Merely pointing out that the standard of refs is better in the matches against Canada. In no way does he say that something like that wouldn't happen to Canada.

Davebo*

That was a garbage call, that's all. Get off your high horse.

So was the missed head shot in the Canada-US game. So was the penalty we took for the US player braining his own goalie. Guess what? it had no effect on the game. This icing had no effect on the game - the swede goalie should have played the puck - he was informed icing was called off. He was stupid and it cost their team.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Some people say it was a good call, some say it was a terrible call, some say the Swedes were robbed, some say they hear a linesman yelling no, some say they don't...

One simple fact remains. There was no whistle. Until you hear a whistle, you play the game. If you assume there is going to be a whistle, and there isn't one...that is ON YOU. Not on the refs, not on the country of Canada, and not on the rules of international hockey. It is ON YOU for assuming there is going to be an icing. You know what assuming does, right?

Assuming made one of Lehner last night, with his play and his comments. If he's a better goalie, the Swedes are playing for gold right now. The refs didn't score any goals in the shootout. Neither did the country of Canada.

It ON YOU, Lehner.

Yes, he's a kid, but he better watch his mouth if he ever wants to play pro in North America. He's still responsible for his comments.

Davebo*

The most predictable thing in international hockey....

Just wait until they come away without a medal at all - then we'll hear some wailing! :help:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It ON YOU, Lehner.

Yes, he's a kid, but he better watch his mouth if he ever wants to play pro in North America. He's still responsible for his comments.

He'll be playing pro in North American next week. He's been playing pro in North American for the entire year - even getting half a game in the NHL. He'll be in the NHL within 2 years max IMO.

He can say what he wants, he's that lauded a prospect for Ottawa.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Some people say it was a good call, some say it was a terrible call, some say the Swedes were robbed, some say they hear a linesman yelling no, some say they don't...

One simple fact remains. There was no whistle. Until you hear a whistle, you play the game. If you assume there is going to be a whistle, and there isn't one...that is ON YOU. Not on the refs, not on the country of Canada, and not on the rules of international hockey. It is ON YOU for assuming there is going to be an icing. You know what assuming does, right?

Assuming made one of Lehner last night, with his play and his comments. If he's a better goalie, the Swedes are playing for gold right now. The refs didn't score any goals in the shootout. Neither did the country of Canada.

It ON YOU, Lehner.

Lehner never had a chance to make a different play. He sees linesman one go up with his arm and goes in position to block the puck if it would make a weird bounce. He can therefore never see the other linesman waiving it off. When the linesman starts screaming "no no no" he's already down on heis knees and is not in a position to play the puck. Lehner never made a bad play, Erixon and Nemeth on the other hand....

Besides, isn't Lehner playing pro in NA already? :sarcasm: ;)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Lehner never had a chance to make a different play. He sees linesman one go up with his arm and goes in position to block the puck if it would make a weird bounce. He can therefore never see the other linesman waiving it off. When the linesman starts screaming "no no no" he's already down on heis knees and is not in a position to play the puck. Lehner never made a bad play, Erixon and Nemeth on the other hand....

Besides, isn't Lehner playing pro in NA already? :sarcasm: ;)

Yes he is as you know, and as you also now know, some Canadian parents allow their idiot children to play on the computer and post on these boards!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Yes he is as you know, and as you also now know, some Canadian parents allow their idiot children to play on the computer and post on these boards!!!!

Wow. Just wow. Probably unnecesary flaming. I have received infractions for far less. I don't think calling someone an idiot child should be allowed, especially considering I am 40 years old.

Simply stated, I don't follow the AHL. If that makes me an idiot, I guess there are a lot of us idiots out there.

My apologies to Lehner and his fans for my comments about him not playing pro in NA.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Probably unnecesary flaming. I have received infractions for far less. I don't think calling someone an idiot child should be allowed, especially considering I am 40 years old.

Simply stated, I don't follow the AHL. If that makes me an idiot, I guess there are a lot of us idiots out there.

Well age isn't necessarily a guarantee of anything, specially intelligence.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Probably unnecesary flaming. I have received infractions for far less. I don't think calling someone an idiot child should be allowed, especially considering I am 40 years old.

You would probably do better to check the facts before saying you don't think Lehner will play in NA with his attitude. He was released from the B-Sens to play in this tournament, it's a quick google search.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
You would probably do better to check the facts before saying you don't think Lehner will play in NA with his attitude. He was released from the B-Sens to play in this tournament, it's a quick google search.

Yeah, my mistake. I didn't check. Thanks.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Semi bad call. Probably should have been icing, but I can see the argument that Erixon could have got to the puck, he really didn't make any effort to play it. I have certainly seen many, many worse calls than this, plus this was in the 2nd period and Sweden got it to 3-2 in the 3rd but still lost, so while somewhat controversial it's not a true game changing non call. Also, the Swedish dmen should have played to the whistle and kept skating like the Russians did, can't stop skating just because you think there'll be a whistle, cause if you're wrong something like this can happen.

Wish Sweden had won though, I'm sure the Canadians would have liked a chance to get revenge.

FanHabtic*

He quite clearly says that it wouldn't have happened in a match against Canada. Merely pointing out that the standard of refs is better in the matches against Canada. In no way does he say that something like that wouldn't happen to Canada.

Either way that's a ridiculous assertion. The tournament organizers do not cherry-pick the best refs for Canadian matches. To think so is completely asinine.

FanHabtic*

lol @ use of "feeble minded"

It was a missed call by the linesmen that directly resulted in a goal against.

The Swedes who stopped skating before the whistle was blown directly lead to the goal against. There are bad calls and missed calls in every game. The bottom line is you play until the whistle blows.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Honestly, sports are about emotions. He is a kid, was frustrated after a big loss, it's not that big of deal.
A kid or not, he said it and he will have to deal with the repercussions. Just ask MPS about the fallout from his comments at the WJC. I am sick of guys getting a free pass because of their age. Maybe if he was 12, but Lehner is already old enough to play pro hockey. That makes him a "professional". He needs to start acting like one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad