Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXIV: Start of Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As I said already before, Hurricanes are great and will be 1st or 2nd in our division. Only deadhead thinks that they are not great and they are playing over their head.

Hurricanes are doing really good job, are on great track. Our lucky is only they haven't goalie like Vasil or Gibson.. if they had a goalie above average at least I would bet that they will in ECF again.

We shall see. Hot starts shouldn't be overvalued, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: Devonator

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Suitcase journeyman Leighton finally retired....21 different teams in 3 different countries and 4 different leagues. Just heard an interview with him on NPR (Weekend Edition). The interviewer asked him if he ever forgot what uniform he was putting on. Also asked about his take on "that" goal that shall not be named. He was kind of making fun of him throughout the interview....

getting made fun of on npr does not help one’s self esteem

Reactions: Carter Hart

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Suitcase journeyman Leighton finally retired....21 different teams in 3 different countries and 4 different leagues. Just heard an interview with him on NPR (Weekend Edition). The interviewer asked him if he ever forgot what uniform he was putting on. Also asked about his take on "that" goal that shall not be named. He was kind of making fun of him throughout the interview....

any chance you have link to the interview?

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Screenshot_20191012-125007.png

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Think Carolina is a legit potential powerhouse. Their 18 skaters are outstanding. Svechnikov is breaking out and Necas has been a revelation.
As I said already before, Hurricanes are great and will be 1st or 2nd in our division. Only deadhead thinks that they are not great and they are playing over their head.

Hurricanes are doing really good job, are on great track. Our lucky is only they haven't goalie like Vasil or Gibson.. if they had a goalie above average at least I would bet that they will in ECF again.

I posted this on the Canes board today and I’ll just copy/paste it here. I’m obviously biased, but I’m super hyped for the near future of Carolina.

So since January 1st the Canes have 35 wins, which leads the league, 72 points, which ties for first with St. Louis, and 171 goals for, which is good for second (Tampa has one more goal in three less games played). The mighty maple leafs only have 161 goals. Despite our gnashing of teeth over the ‘power kill’ the team has the 6th best % at 22.7 over the same time frame.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I posted this on the Canes board today and I’ll just copy/paste it here. I’m obviously biased, but I’m super hyped for the near future of Carolina.

So since January 1st the Canes have 35 wins, which leads the league, 72 points, which ties for first with St. Louis, and 171 goals for, which is good for second (Tampa has one more goal in three less games played). The mighty maple leafs only have 161 goals. Despite our gnashing of teeth over the ‘power kill’ the team has the 6th best % at 22.7 over the same time frame.

weird, beurbe and brind'amour being the two best coaches in the league. f*** me.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

giphy-5.gif

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

giphy.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Canes vs Flyers Eastern Conference Final incoming.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
My conclusion is that the Soviet system is actually superior.
I think North America has had the advantage at times in having slightly more superstar talents, probably always a significant edge in goaltending and some flukeish wins in international competition have made people think differently.

1. Lovable Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov's leg in a shockingly close Summit Series.
2. The Flyers, as two-time defending Cup champs, crushing the CRA team and saving face for the NHL, which was otherwise utterly dominated.
3. Miracle on Ice
4. The 1987 Canada Cup, which was decided by the fact that Canada had probably its two greatest stars, Gretzky and Lemieux, at the peak of their physical skills.
5. Scott Stevens' nuclear hit on Kozlov in the 1995 SCF that led to a 4-0 sweep, which was seen as a vindication of the NHL rough style over a skilled soft Russian player.

There's no doubt that a lot of these series featured physical play as a huge equalizer (<3 Ed Van Impe), but the Soviets had something like a 26-8 record vs. NHL teams in exhibitions. Of course those teams were stacked from the star, but they were generally playing the NHL's best teams.

Not exactly. The New Year's Eve game between the Canadiens and the Russians is widely considered to have been one of the best hockey games ever played. The Russians would have been run out of the rink had Tretiak not stood on his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad