Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXXIV: Start of Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Vegas made a lot of bad moves this offseason (Miller/Gusev trades IMO) but they're doing well because the top line is dominating again and Mark Stone (on second line) is a franchise player.

Also, Cody Glass has 4 points in 5 games getting like 11 minutes per while playing with Eakin/Zykov. No reason why Frost couldn't do the same here.
God imagine if gusev was still with Tampa.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Frenchman with an amazing starter debut with the Avalanche. Hope he keeps that up, CZE needs some more goalies in the NHL again

giphy.gif

I had to hit up google translate to figure out what the hell you were talking about. :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Oilers are 5-0, but have had a very easy schedule so far.

Canucks
Kings
Islanders
Devils
Rangers

Despite being 5-0, their only +9 in Goal Differential.

Gotta appreciate them beating 3 straight Metro teams for us. Now we just gotta beat their ass when we play them.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Suitcase journeyman Leighton finally retired....21 different teams in 3 different countries and 4 different leagues. Just heard an interview with him on NPR (Weekend Edition). The interviewer asked him if he ever forgot what uniform he was putting on. Also asked about his take on "that" goal that shall not be named. He was kind of making fun of him throughout the interview....

Thank you for posting the interview. I disagree with your interpretation of the interview. It was clear that interviewer is not approaching this from a hockey background perspective but more of a life experience perspective. IN that regard playing for 21 teams and all the things that go along with it present some very unique experiences , and that is what I believe the interviewer was getting at.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Thank you for posting the interview. I disagree with your interpretation of the interview. It was clear that interviewer is not approaching this from a hockey background perspective but more of a life experience perspective. IN that regard playing for 21 teams and all the things that go along with it present some very unique experiences , and that is what I believe the interviewer was getting at.
While you are probably right ....I am still bitter but mostly at Holmgren. Emery getting injured also didn't help. Not Leighton's fault but also did not like how Leighton hid his injury to get resigned...not a fan overall of the guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The Oilers are 5-0, but have had a very easy schedule so far.

Canucks
Kings
Islanders
Devils
Rangers

Despite being 5-0, their only +9 in Goal Differential.

Gotta appreciate them beating 3 straight Metro teams for us. Now we just gotta beat their ass when we play them.
Winning by nearly two goals a game isn't impressive? That +9 differential leads the league btw. That roster is garbage but it's impressive what they've done, even if it's likely unsustainable.

The Flyers schedule isn't exactly Murderers' Row to start.

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Winning by nearly two goals a game isn't impressive? That +9 differential leads the league btw. That roster is garbage but it's impressive what they've done, even if it's likely unsustainable.

The Flyers schedule isn't exactly Murderers' Row to start.

Three 1 goal wins against bad teams. The point is that they aren't running teams over on the way to their 5-0 start. They are still beatable right now, despite the hot start.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Three 1 goal wins against bad teams. The point is that they aren't running teams over on the way to their 5-0 start. They are still beatable right now, despite the hot start.
5-0 or 0-5. They were always going to be beatable. The Oilers winning one goal games is an improvement.

I just didn't get your point about bringing up goal differential when they have the best one in the league.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Even a big favorite has like a 60% chance of winning on any given night in the NHL. Ya’ll place way too much emphasis on quality of opponent. This isn’t college football.

Even for the Flyers they haven’t played some world beaters so far either but getting 5/6 points is a good start regardless. Now it’s a small sample size & that’s the possible draw back as we move along.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Even a big favorite has like a 60% chance of winning on any given night in the NHL. Ya’ll place way too much emphasis on quality of opponent. This isn’t college football.

Even for the Flyers they haven’t played some world beaters so far either but getting 5/6 points is a good start regardless. Now it’s a small sample size & that’s the possible draw back as we move along.

Yep. The talent spread across the NHL is pretty equal at this point with the salary cap. I'm sure systems have helped neutralize talent too (unfortunately).

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
All 5 wins were comeback wins too. That should be a sign that their success likely isn't sustainable.

It wouldn't completely surprise me if they sneak into the playoffs though. Their division is terrible this year.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Striikers Keys To Victory:

-Play Couturier as 1C
-Don’t play Hayes as 1C
-Use Couturier as if he’s your best center, since he is
-Couturier = 1C

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Not a single mention of grit, size, or veteran reliability. Thats some amateur hour hockey talk right there, sir ;)

Reactions: Striiker

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Striikers Keys To Victory:

-Play Couturier as 1C
-Don’t play Hayes as 1C
-Use Couturier as if he’s your best center, since he is
-Couturier = 1C

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Who says he isn't? Because he isn't with Giroux? His line has been our best line.
If he needs Giroux in order to be productive then he isn't a true 1C.

I don't think the lines are set in stone anyway. But TK and Lindblom are great together and playing with Couturier is a real boost for them.
Now we just need Voracek to wake up.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who says he isn't? Because he isn't with Giroux? His line has been our best line.
If he needs Giroux in order to be productive then he isn't a true 1C.

I don't think the lines are set in stone anyway. But TK and Lindblom are great together and playing with Couturier is a real boost for them.
Now we just need Voracek to wake up.
32bdb9b44ca9941b33eff84f45a6e6fd.png

Linesmates are a separate issue.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, those numbers are almost identical, especially if you consider that Hayes has been on PP1 so far this season.
Right, but if Couturier was being used as the 1C they wouldn't be close, let alone with Hayes ahead. So far it hasn't been a massive issue but it really can't continue like this.

They're being used as if they're equals, but they're simply not. Couturier is one of the best players in the entire league and if he's not being used like it we're just handicapping ourselves.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Right, but if Couturier was being used as the 1C they wouldn't be close, let alone with Hayes ahead.

They're being used as if they're equals, but they're simply not. Couturier is one of the best players in the entire league.
I agree that Couturier is the better player. There's no doubt about that.
But stylistically they're very similar players and I think having a more balanced top 6 right now isn't a bad idea, especially when you look at our bottom 6. We need our top 6 to be as productive as possible. Both lines. And so far they're playing well, imo.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that Couturier is the better player. There's no doubt about that.
But stylistically they're very similar players and I think having a more balanced top 6 right now isn't a bad idea, especially when you look at our bottom 6. We need our top 6 to be as productive as possible. Both lines. And so far they're playing well, imo.
I'd agree if both players were getting legit 1C usage, but it looks like Couturier's usage has been lowered (especially at even strength) so that Hayes and Laughton (!) can have theirs boosted.

For example, last game (a game where we never had the lead):

e71e64dbf57e6943c802630baec4e068.png

And overall for the year:

7d28620f83a61e64a3f2daa54f8e73c2.png

They're just too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad