Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Remember, we still own his NHL rights...

Bob Roberts ‏@BobRbrts 16m16 minutes ago

Erik Gustafsson had 35 shifts!! for a team high 30:07 TOI!! in Avangard's 4-3 win in game 4 today. Only one other Dman had over even 20 mins
If Gus doesn't walk the Flyers probably don't sign Schultz or MDZ. Both have performed better than he ever did.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If Gus doesn't walk the Flyers probably don't sign Schultz or MDZ. Both have performed better than he ever did.

Gustafsson didn't really have much of any chance. He was solid each and every time though.

Very fair point about the signings. I wouldn't say MDZ is conclusively better though. Offensively, sure. He loses as much defensively as he gives us offensively and on a strong team that isn't desperate for D (in general and puck-possession/puck movement) MDZ may very well be a healthy scratch or not make it at all. A contender might not be willing to deal with that defensively. His puck skills and offensive prowess are superb though. Gustafsson was very well-rounded.

MDZ also seems like he's better because he's been given a consistent top 4 role on a weaker D. Gustafsson, as previously mentioned, got comparatively very little chance (to even break the lineup, not even a top 4 spot) on a stronger D.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I was a big fan of Gus, I agree, I don't think he ever got a full chance in Philly, but my gosh he was so overrated on these boards.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Gus was better than grossmann, schenn, macdonald and at times he looked better than coburn. He didn't get a fair chance under berube or lavy. The guy made schenn a decent defenseman when they were paired together.

RJ8812*

lol Gus wasn't better than any of them. He's at best a #6/7 defenseman in the NHL

The over glamorization of fringe NHLers (Wellwood, Gus, Nodl, etc) when it comes to Flyers fans is hilarious

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
No body is saying that Gus was the best defenseman ever only that he was a good option for us for the third pairing considering his play and his likely low cap hit. Definitely a better option than grossmann who just doesn't have a nhl skill set and counts 3.5 million against the cap to be one of the worst defenders in the NHL. The only thing schenn does better is hit. And gus is better than macdonald especially when you consider cap hit and that he isn't even seeing the ice.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Making a million bucks, he was better then guys who were signed for 3,4 or 5 times as much money. He is basicaly a simbol of everything that was wrong in the Holmgren era. I know ppl trash the KHL a lot, but he's an all star over there, and he and sobotka litteraly lifted a non playoff team to contender status.
I think when people want to make the argument that Gus is overrated, they are greatly influenced by the fact that he was undrafted. We kinda tend to place young and unproven players in certain tiers based on which round they were drafted in. Imagine if Schenn was undrafted and Gus was a 1st round pick. Man, would we be singing a different song right now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
lol Gus wasn't better than any of them. He's at best a #6/7 defenseman in the NHL

The over glamorization of fringe NHLers (Wellwood, Gus, Nodl, etc) when it comes to Flyers fans is hilarious

Bull****, he was better than Grossmann, Schenn, and Gill easily. He's no defensive god, but none of those idiots are either but at least he could skate, pass, and had a bit of offense.

Gus isn't the answer to all our problems and it's not even a matter of how good or bad he is, it's just that those three are worse. It says way more about them than it does about him.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
That report about Babcock coming to Philly is interesting. That would be awesome. Especially after we win the draft lottery too. I'm think of starting a hashtag on twitter #PhillyWantsTheCock. That's Babcock of course.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
No body is saying that Gus was the best defenseman ever only that he was a good option for us for the third pairing considering his play and his likely low cap hit. Definitely a better option than grossmann who just doesn't have a nhl skill set and counts 3.5 million against the cap to be one of the worst defenders in the NHL. The only thing schenn does better is hit. And gus is better than macdonald especially when you consider cap hit and that he isn't even seeing the ice.
When Gustavsson was here, MacDonald was much better. I haven't watched any of his games in Russia, so I solely judge him on his time with the Flyers and I never saw anything special from him. He was solid, but mediocre at everything. Not particularly bad at anything, but not very good at anything either. He neither had the size nor the skill to stand out. Some people thought he could be a poor man's Timonen, but Kimmo is just so much smarter.

There are a lot of things I could blame Berube for, but Gustavsson isn't one of them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When Gustavsson was here, MacDonald was much better. I haven't watched any of his games in Russia, so I solely judge him on his time with the Flyers and I never saw anything special from him. He was solid, but mediocre at everything. Not particularly bad at anything, but not very good at anything either. He neither had the size nor the skill to stand out. Some people thought he could be a poor man's Timonen, but Kimmo is just so much smarter.

There are a lot of things I could blame Berube for, but Gustavsson isn't one of them.

Again, the issue wasn't that he was keeping a prodigy out of the lineup, it's that he was dressing people far worse than Gus for no reason.

Think of it like this, nobody is going to lose their mind over keeping a 4/10 out of the lineup... unless they're playing a 2/10 instead.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Gustafsson played better then half our D last season, is young, and is a cost-controlled RFA.

Letting him go for a clearly terrible coach's bias in favor of worse (or, at best, equal) players at older ages with UFA contracts is bad, bad management. It's really that simple. Has zero to do with Gustafsson being a top-tier D, which nobody has ever claimed.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Gustafsson played better then half our D last season, is young, and is a cost-controlled RFA.

Letting him go for a clearly terrible coach's bias in favor of worse (or, at best, equal) players at older ages with UFA contracts is bad, bad management. It's really that simple. Has zero to do with Gustafsson being a top-tier D, which nobody has ever claimed.

^^^ exactly...

but Berube's gotta have that "size" thing you know...

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Babcock ain't coming here...cut me a break. Guy is just looking for a payout with Detroit. He is not the kind of guy that wants to be involved in rebuild, reset or whatever. Just don't see it but hey if they can get him it would be a big coup..

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
We aren't getting Babcock most likely. There are a few other coaches that could be good choices for the Flyers for next season anyway.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've heard two things.

1. Babcock is getting pressured to Cash in big time to raise the stakes for other coaches in the game. And this is ssomething that he is going to do.

2. I've heard if boucher fails again this postseason, anahiem is going to pull out all the stops to get Babcock. And It would be a perfect scenario imo.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Money aside I really cant see Babcock leaving Detroit for Philly. Anaheim yes. I cant see him coming here. Both Detroit and the Ducks are loaded and much closer to being a contender than Philly.
I never have thought much as Boudreau as a coach. the guy has coached some really good teams in the regular season. But having his teams ready for the playoffs? not so much. He had some really good teams when he was coaching in the AHL as well. Only place he got anything done down there was on a loaded Hershey team.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I think Ottawa has a better chance of getting to the playoffs than the flyers do. They are behind the flyers by 1 point with 3 games in hand. Unless this team really goes on a tear I highly doubt they will make the playoffs.

I agree. It was more of a "what could have been" post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad