Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
When the Flyers play the Caps next Sunday, the Flyers will have a game in hand. Caps play the Kings/Sens/Ducks this week. If the Flyers go into Sundays game still 9 points out and win...they would be 7 out with a game in hand, and another game against the caps later in the month. Opportunity is there.

That is a lot of ifs, but its not thaaaaat crazy. Hell, if they go 20-8-3 the rest of the season theyll match last years record.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
When the Flyers play the Caps next Sunday, the Flyers will have a game in hand. Caps play the Kings/Sens/Ducks this week. If the Flyers go into Sundays game still 9 points out and win...they would be 7 out with a game in hand, and another game against the caps later in the month. Opportunity is there.

That is a lot of ifs, but its not thaaaaat crazy. Hell, if they go 20-8-3 the rest of the season theyll match last years record.

We're making the playoffs.

Someone had to say it.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
posted by Devastate To be fair, we are in much worse shape as far as coaching is concerned

Yeah, but it really doesn't matter. Our team sucks regardless. Unfortunately not enough however...:shakehead

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I didn't realize they were on that nice of a streak, however, they are still just 1 point ahead of the caps in the playoff race in the same amount of games and only have 1 game in hand on us same as the caps. Also need the Panthers to crumble as well.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I didn't realize they were on that nice of a streak, however, they are still just 1 point ahead of the caps in the playoff race in the same amount of games and only have 1 game in hand on us same as the caps. Also need the Panthers to crumble as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Panthers. Unlike the Flyers, they have a horrible schedule left. Out of their remaining 35 games 23 are against play-off teams.

3x against the Canadiens and Lightning
2x against the Penguins, Bruins, Islanders and Blackhawks

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

As it stands 'all' we need is:

Washington to go 13-13-4 or worse (90 points, they are 4 ahead in ROW)

Florida to go 17-13-5 or worse (91 points, they are 4 behind in ROW)

Ottawa to go 18-10-6 or worse (91 points, they are 3 behind in ROW)

Flyers to go 18-9-4 (91 points)

So the Panthers would not have to crumble at all... to get to 91 they near a .557 point percentage, they are currently at .553. They actually have to play better from now on to get to 91. And their schedule is awful.

That run by Ottawa would be more unlikely that us going 18-9-4 with the schedules and the fact we have more ROW and 2 more points in the bank.

Basically if the Flyers go 18-9-4 and the Caps collapse to a .500 team (currently .600) there is a good chance we are in the playoffs.

The Flyers have gave themselves as good a chance as possible really in the last 12 games (8-4-0, 0.667 point percentage) and only 4/12 of our next 12 are teams are top 12 in the league. We also play the Caps twice in those 12 games. Beat the Caps twice and go ~7-4-1 in that stretch and they need ~12-5-3 in the last 20.

But the way I just put it makes it seem far more likely than it actually is...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Voracek really struggles with twitter :laugh:

That said, he could quit hockey today and immediately be a better writer than Carchidi, Panaccio, Miller, or Seravalli.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Getting a top 3 pick was likely always dependent on winning the lottery, barring injuries to Mason or Giroux. Too much forward talent in the group to completely succumb to the deadweight on D and in Berube's head.

Though Toronto's catastrophic collapse hasn't helped either.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
As it stands 'all' we need is:

Washington to go 13-13-4 or worse (90 points, they are 4 ahead in ROW)

Florida to go 17-13-5 or worse (91 points, they are 4 behind in ROW)

Ottawa to go 18-10-6 or worse (91 points, they are 3 behind in ROW)

Flyers to go 18-9-4 (91 points)

So the Panthers would not have to crumble at all... to get to 91 they near a .557 point percentage, they are currently at .553. They actually have to play better from now on to get to 91. And their schedule is awful.

That run by Ottawa would be more unlikely that us going 18-9-4 with the schedules and the fact we have more ROW and 2 more points in the bank.

Basically if the Flyers go 18-9-4 and the Caps collapse to a .500 team (currently .600) there is a good chance we are in the playoffs.

The Flyers have gave themselves as good a chance as possible really in the last 12 games (8-4-0, 0.667 point percentage) and only 4/12 of our next 12 are teams are top 12 in the league. We also play the Caps twice in those 12 games. Beat the Caps twice and go ~7-4-1 in that stretch and they need ~12-5-3 in the last 20.

But the way I just put it makes it seem far more likely than it actually is...

If it wasn't for Giroux's willpower, I would not give them any chance at all. What I like about this team is that they do not give up, and just when you count them out, they come off the floor and win. If Mason continues his excellent play, anything is possible.

I've resigned myself to the fact that they are going to bust a gut trying to make the playoffs, so we're not getting a great draft pick anyway.

The 12 games in February before the deadline will be the key, agreed. If they go 9-3 or 8-4, they might still have a chance at the playoffs and Hexy won't likely be a TDL seller either.

We'll see, starting Thurs. Have to beat the Isles on home ice.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Not sure which thread to put it. Some Russian media outlet interviewed Malkin about his injury. In the nut shell (pun intended) he was injured by Flyers. Someone hit him in the family jewels during a scrum.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

latest

RJ8812*

Not sure which thread to put it. Some Russian media outlet interviewed Malkin about his injury. In the nut shell (pun intended) he was injured by Flyers. Someone hit him in the family jewels during a scrum.

ya, that's ....too......bad

Pittsburgh is one team I will never feel sorry for. The **** they get away with against us, it was only a matter of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad