Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Their top pick from this past draft Leon Draisaitl has been struggling badly in the NHL this year. He really shouldn't have made the cut past the 9 game tryout.

It was speculated by most that he probably should have been loaned to Germany for the WJC's prior to the tournament to at least gain some confidence since he was playing awful but Edmonton declined to do so. We're a couple of games into the tournament & now they're deciding to send him back juniors. So if they did this week's ago he likely would have been playing in it. Germany would have faired a better chance of not getting relegated out of the top division with him so I would imagine they're not too happy right now. :laugh:

Wait, they KEPT him?

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I hope the NHL pulls some behing closed doors type ish and doesn't allow Edmonton to get anywhere near the top3 picks, that org. needs to be cleansed of the stupidity that is ruining good to great hockey players

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It's time for the NHL to take over the Oilers. I know this won't happen, I know.

At this point, they're ruining the NHL brand and product. This is unfair to the Oiler fans. This has gone from poor management to horrific for the league. Potential jersey selling high pedigree kids are being driven into the ground.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah he's played 35 games in the NHL this year. I believe if played past 41 games they would have not only lost a year off his ELC but they would have lost a year towards his free agency status as well.

I watched a couple of their earlier games and saw nothing from him that indicated he should stay. Why I assumed Edmonton would do the logical thing and send him down, I don't know.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
10306389_10153111145718054_3893029282384671176_n.jpg

:laugh:

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Watching NBC's NHL's top 10, and the Spectrum was #6 on "toughest venues to play at" even though every player said it was terrifying and down right scary to play there, the Shark Tank was #4, say whaaaaaaaatttt?!?!?!?!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That's before my time, Derrick Smith left the Flyers before I was even born. :laugh:

I was born in March of 1993, so the earliest Flyers I can remember are Primeau, Recchi and Leclair... and even that's pretty hazy.

I hope you don't have a similar thought process with the music selections for each GDT. :sarcasm:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How can we possibly scout Couturier and yet not see any potential in Palat?

Man it must be nice to get late round steals.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hope you don't have a similar thought process with the music selections for each GDT. :sarcasm:

Now don't get mad, but I don't know a majority of them music you pick.

In my defense, it's not like I could be taught these types of things by family or friends, neither my family nor my friends know anything about hockey and they like different kinds of music. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How can we possibly scout Couturier and yet not see any potential in Palat?

Man it must be nice to get late round steals.

He was passed up twice (2009 & 2010) & was a 7th round pick in his final year of draft eligibility in 2011.

He wasn't really a spectactular junior player. He really didn't come on the radar as a legit prospect until his second year in the AHL. He was an outlier, 9 out of 10 times you take a guy with his profile & he's nothing more than a depth prospect.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Roenick's view of the Flyers:

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/..._sean_couturier_brayden_schenn_matt_read.html

"
Three younger forwards who have star potential: Matt Read, Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn.

"You have three guys that will play really good hockey, and then you won't see them for awhile," he said. "And I like all three of them. It's just their consistency. They can't keep coming in and out of the scoresheet. You can't just do it for 10 games and then go away for 10 games, do it for five games and then go away for 15 games. That doesn't work for teams."
"

IceHot

Jan 14, 2003
Redneck Riviera
Visit site
The inconsistency can be attributed to our depth, not all our stars can score consistently, least we score 6 goals a game.
All teams and lineups matches change while sometimes leaving weaker links and other times making for tighter match ups.
Playing through pain and fatigue is another factor, while lack in confidence in your line mates who struggle can be a contributing factor for a few games as well.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The inconsistency can be attributed to our depth, not all our stars can score consistently, least we score 6 goals a game.
All teams and lineups matches change while sometimes leaving weaker links and other times making for tighter match ups.
Playing through pain and fatigue is another factor, while lack in confidence in your line mates who struggle can be a contributing factor for a few games as well.

the flyers have 2 stars and yes they do score consistently.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Matt Read is almost 30. Wouldn't count him. He's as good as he's ever going to be. I also disagree that Schenn and Couts have star potential. Do they have potential to be good players? Sure, but not stars imo.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
The Draisaitl situation is a prime example of stupidity, but the fact the Caps didn't alow for Burakowsky to join Sweden for the juniors is mind boggling as well. He's no where near the lineup, but the big club insisted he stays with them and stays put in the press box.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Good for the Caps. I really want Ovechkin to win a Stanley Cup. Hopefully they can do it this year. Unlikely, but I hope they do it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Glad the Caps won, but I felt officiating was too much the story in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad