Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's pretty neat. All through the meal, I'd have the urge to pass close behind him and say, "The Peking duck is pretty good. E4. Take it for your first with a conditional dessert."

I would've if we were at a Chinese restaurant and not a well known Japanese hibachi restaurant. Come ON BP get with it.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
MPS on waivers. If he gets to us i'd like us to give him a shot. We've done OK with reclamations lately. Mason, Schultz and MDZ, add one more. No risk really.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
MPS on waivers. If he gets to us i'd like us to give him a shot. We've done OK with reclamations lately. Mason, Schultz and MDZ, add one more. No risk really.

I'm thinking he won't make it to the Flyers. Buffalo, NJ, or Edmonton (yes, THAT Edmonton) seem more likely. If Buffalo grabs him and he can turn it around, that team would be ridiculous in a couple years with the inevitable arrival of Eichel or McDavid and all their other young gunz.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Some food for thought on claiming MPS:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-steal-after-st-louis-blues-drop-the-forward

Breaking it down further, the Blues were slightly better at out-shooting their opponents last season with Paajarvi on the ice than they were when he was on the bench. Zone start shows the percentage of shifts that start in the offensive zone as opposed to the defensive zone; even as a rookie, Paajarvi was responsible enough to start a bunch of shifts in his own end of the ice.

Talks a little bit about CORSI numbers and zone starts, which I am not very familiar with, but it looks like the arguments folks use around here to say a player is good defensively and the team produces better with him on the ice. Maybe I am misreading these stats, but the article suggests that he is a solid defensive player with some offensive use to his game.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Been there done that. If anyone from the Phantoms is getting called up it should be Alt or Ghost.

How is he like Slaney? Not a top 10 pick, not an offensive minded dman, no unrealistic expectations. Putting up points in the AHL?

He's only 23, has learned and put in time to get a chance.

he's steadily progressed on horrible Phantoms teams and played well in his limited call-ups. He can skate and play a 2 way game.

Ghost is injured and needs more seasoning in the AHL. Alt has not had a great year in LV while being injured for half of it. He's just coming back from an injury.

Plus this season is over, the team is not good enough to compete.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
How is he like Slaney? Not a top 10 pick, not an offensive minded dman, no unrealistic expectations. Putting up points in the AHL?

he's steadily progressed on horrible Phantoms teams and played well in his limited call-ups. He can skate and play a 2 way game.

Ghost is injured and needs more seasoning in the AHL and Alt has not had a great year in LV while being injured for half of it. He's just coming back from an injury.

Right now, both Del Zotto and Colaiacovo are better players sitting in the pressbox, so Manning is not in the conversation.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Right now, both Del Zotto and Colaiacovo are better players sitting in the pressbox, so Manning is not in the conversation.

I'm not saying bring him up now, I'm saying they should bring him up eventually to see what he has because he's only on a 1 year deal and hasn't really been presented with a chance. Colaiacovo, a serviceable 7th dman/fringe AHLer, was brought in when it was still a hope to make the playoffs and MDZ (early season honeymoon is over) has fallen out of favor with Berube due to his defensive zone struggles and carelessness with the puck. When the season is dwindling down and you begin to try to trade off assets to competitors, you allow your more seasoned prospects to have a shot, almost like a tryout.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
luke schenn said on flyerstv about new years resolution that he wants to cut out deserts but probably won't

literally a fat slob

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
And that is why next time eklund and i meet up for hibachi you will be sitting at home uninvited.

Too bad you are going to miss out on all the juicy steak and rumors.

sadlittleboy.jpg

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

Ghost is injured and needs more seasoning in the AHL. Alt has not had a great year in LV while being injured for half of it. He's just coming back from an injury.

He's a classic tweener. Not good enough offensively to be a pure offensive defenseman, not good enough defensively to be a two-way or shut down guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's a classic tweener. Not good enough offensively to be a pure offensive defenseman, not good enough defensively to be a two-way or shut down guy.
Not a good enough skater either, I held a glimmer of hope for him a couple years ago, but he's nothing more than a filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad