Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He's a bust but he is younger, faster and more likely to rebound than Umberger and Lecavalier.

But we are in a bad cap situation and so far it does not look like Hextall will be able to shed any salary soon.
Matt Hacket could have been a nice gamble too but we don't have the cap space to carry 3 goalies. Roster management is questionable right now because they got zero wiggle room to make any moves whatsoever.

I wonder why so many players are waived today - maybe trades will go down tomorrow?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
^

In the five years since he's been drafted, he's proven nothing. The Flyers have enough useless forwards.

Yeah but come on. I'd rather have him over a number of guys on the NHL roster (and some of our prospects). His rookie year he looked impressive. Yes, he has clearly regressed, but at 23 are you really convinced he cannot improve even to a serviceable NHLer? If you are willing to take a chance on unknown guys from Europe (which everyone around loves to do), why not take a chance on this guy? Worst case scenario he flops again and is waived later in the season. Best case scenario he is a nice piece moving forward. Very low risk, potentially high reward.

There is nothing wrong with taking chances on Euro guys, but it seems like whenever the Flyers sign a Euro guy he is immediately pencilled in to the lineup and no one bats an eye. The last couple have turned out well (Raffl, PEB), but there have been some stinkers out there. Yet people are not willing to give a former first round pick who put up decent numbers his rookie year a second chance?

I'm a big Rinaldo fan and I say if it means waiving Rinaldo, go ahead and grab MPS. I'd rather have MPS than Akeson. I'd rather have MPS than Cousins, VV, and a lot of the other middling prospects like Straka and Alderson.

Of course, I wouldn't expect him to come in and be some impact player, but I think it is definitely worth the risk of really absolutely nothing (aside from waiving another player that really isn't having an impact on this team anyway). He's $1.2 for another year then he is RFA. Again, absolute worst case scenario is he flops and we just waive him or let him walk at the end of the year. Maybe it means Rinaldo or VV is claimed (which, really, is not the end of the world).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah but come on. I'd rather have him over a number of guys on the NHL roster (and some of our prospects). His rookie year he looked impressive. Yes, he has clearly regressed, but at 23 are you really convinced he cannot improve even to a serviceable NHLer? If you are willing to take a chance on unknown guys from Europe (which everyone around loves to do), why not take a chance on this guy? Worst case scenario he flops again and is waived later in the season. Best case scenario he is a nice piece moving forward. Very low risk, potentially high reward.

There is nothing wrong with taking chances on Euro guys, but it seems like whenever the Flyers sign a Euro guy he is immediately pencilled in to the lineup and no one bats an eye. The last couple have turned out well (Raffl, PEB), but there have been some stinkers out there. Yet people are not willing to give a former first round pick who put up decent numbers his rookie year a second chance?

I'm a big Rinaldo fan and I say if it means waiving Rinaldo, go ahead and grab MPS. I'd rather have MPS than Akeson. I'd rather have MPS than Cousins, VV, and a lot of the other middling prospects like Straka and Alderson.

Of course, I wouldn't expect him to come in and be some impact player, but I think it is definitely worth the risk of really absolutely nothing (aside from waiving another player that really isn't having an impact on this team anyway). He's $1.2 for another year then he is RFA. Again, absolute worst case scenario is he flops and we just waive him or let him walk at the end of the year. Maybe it means Rinaldo or VV is claimed (which, really, is not the end of the world).

He's in the final year of his current contract. He's not extended past this year.

He'll likely be back in Europe next year. He's not really good & if you take away his previous draft status no one would care about him at all.

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
If Umberger can be traded and VdV and Rinaldo are put on waivers

Heatley - G - Voracek
Schenn - Laughton - Simmonds
MPJ - Coots - Read
Raffl - PEB - Fast Euro/Straka

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

The Flyers are close to the cap as is and burying a guy like Umberger (for example) in the minors doesn't save the team enough space to add MPS. Vinny can't be waived or traded without his consent, so the Flyers are stuck with him.

Playing MPS on the 4th line does nothing; a guy like MPS should be on a scoring line, but he's shown nothing to suggest he belongs there. Paying another guy over $1M to play on the 4th line is a waste. He's not going to turn the team around and White is almost ready to join the Flyers, so picking up MPS is useless.

All of the other guys you mentioned are already in the minors (save VV, who will be when White is ready, and Rinaldo who will be the 13th forward). I don't want the Flyers paying MPS to sit in the press box either.

It's a pretty easy pass; this isn't NHL 15.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He's in the final year of his current contract. He's not extended past this year.

Even better. That minimizes the risk even more.

He'll likely be back in Europe next year. He's not really good & if you take away his previous draft status no one would care about him at all.

Not necessarily. He put up 34 points as an 18 year old. That is nothing to just throw away. And sure, his draft stock is why he is being talked about as a reclamation project, but there is something to be said about that. He had a ton of potential just a couple years ago. It is highly unlikely to think he will ever reach that potential folks want thought he would, but he still has room to grow. If you are going to write him off at 23, why do people still clamor for Jason Akeson to be on the NHL team? Would you rather have Akeson or MPS? Akeson is older and has shown less (unless putting up decent AHL numbers is better than putting up small numbers in the NHL).

You also have to remember that MPS played most of his career on a truly awful team with truly awful coaching. He hasn't been great by any means, but I think his terribleness is being overrated.

Again, there is about as close to zero risk in claiming MPS as their can possibly be. I can't think of any negative in claiming him other than the potential of losing Rinaldo or VV to a waiver claim, which some people would likely cheer about if it went down that way.

The absolute worst case is Rinaldo or VV gets claimed on waivers and then MPS flops. The best case is he gets back on track to becoming the player he once was thought to be (and depending on your feeling, Rinaldo/VV either does or does not get claimed).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Flyers are close to the cap as is and burying a guy like Umberger (for example) in the minors doesn't save the team enough space to add MPS. Vinny can't be waived or traded without his consent, so the Flyers are stuck with him.

Playing MPS on the 4th line does nothing; a guy like MPS should be on a scoring line, but he's shown nothing to suggest he belongs there. Paying another guy over $1M to play on the 4th line is a waste. He's not going to turn the team around and White is almost ready to join the Flyers, so picking up MPS is useless.

All of the other guys you mentioned are already in the minors (save VV, who will be when White is ready, and Rinaldo who will be the 13th forward). I don't want the Flyers paying MPS to sit in the press box either.

It's a pretty easy pass; this isn't NHL 15.

Thank God. That game has been such a disappointment.

But in reality again I don't think the risk is present in trying to reinvigorate this guy. Sending Rinaldo down clears the room to claim MPS if my calculations are correct. Try him on a number of lines and see how it works. I doubt he can hang with G and Voracek, but try him out. If not, try him on the second, third, then the 4th. If he doesn't work out, waive him. Not the end of the world.

There is no penalty for waiving a guy you claimed is there? Do you think the Flyers are going to be making moves to contend this season? If not, who cares about the cap? If they are going to make trades, it is not going to be picks/prospects for other players, it will be roster players for picks/prospects. Again, the risk is so small and the reward has potential to be pretty nice.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He put those points up as a 19 year old & he did so playing in the top six alongside Eberle as well as playing on their PP unit (9 of those points came on the PP). He hasn't done **** since then.

As for him with the Flyers he's not getting those opportunities by default & he can't play defense so he's useless on this team in that type of role.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Who wants to hear a funny Eklund story?

So Xmas day i was out with the family enjoying dinner at Benihana in Plymouth Meeting.

All of a sudden I see the most hideous Flyers knit sweater imaginable and when i look up I instantly recognize the face to be "Eklund" who just walked in with a large group of people whom I assume to be his family at the table right next to us.

He was on his smartphone the whole time constantly texting, and did not get up. Had he gotten up I would have approached him but not while he was having dinner with his family.

Well that is all i have to report.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly

So Xmas day i was out with the family enjoying dinner at Benihana in Plymouth Meeting.

All of a sudden I see the most hideous Flyers knit sweater imaginable and when i look up I instantly recognize the face to be "Eklund" who just walked in with a large group of people whom I assume to be his family at the table right next to us.

He was on his smartphone the whole time constantly texting, and did not get up. Had he gotten up I would have approached him but not while he was having dinner with his family.

That's pretty ironic, guessing you have family in Plymouth meeting since it says you're all the way in VA. I'm like 20 minutes from Plymouth Meeting.

Didn't think Eklund was from around here.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's pretty ironic, guessing you have family in Plymouth meeting since it says you're all the way in VA. I'm like 20 minutes from Plymouth Meeting.

Didn't think Eklund was from around here.

i live in va, from philly . Most of family is located on the mainline. I haven't been to plymouth meeting in a long time but we ate there simply because on xmas day it was one of the few restaurants open that could seat up to 10 people.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He put those points up as a 19 year old & he did so playing in the top six alongside Eberle as well as playing on their PP unit (9 of those points came on the PP). He hasn't done **** since then.

Absolutely. No argument there at all. But there is something to be said for that. You don't just throw it away completely. He did that as a 19 year old playing on the worst team in the league on the third worst offensive team in the league. Yes, he has not done anything since then, and again I'm not saying that I think he will come in and be a PPG guy, but there is absolutely no reason to think that he can't get into the 30-40 point range again. His awfulness is being greatly over-exaggerated.

In the lockout season he put up 16 points in 42 games. Not very impressive at all. No argument there. But that is eight points behind Matt Read, one point more than Coots, and the same as Danny Briere. Now of course, those other players do more than MPS (well, Read and Coots did anyway), so I'm certainly not saying I would have preferred MPS over them. But again, you have this on a bad Edmonton team.

He's not going to be a superstar. I don't think he will and I don't think anyone does. But I think he has a chance to be a serviceable (and cheap) NHLer with a slight upside at this point. Could be 100% wrong, but claiming him on waivers has absolutely no risk. Do it and see what happens. You aren't married to the guy. You aren't giving up anything. If he sucks, waive him. Problem solved.

As for him with the Flyers he's not getting those opportunities by default & he can't play defense so he's useless on this team in that type of role.

I think he could be slotted in to the top 9 somewhere just to see how he does. This team is not exactly lighting it up as it is. Do you think throwing MPS on the top line with G and Voracek for a couple games is going to ruin the team's chances? Or the second line? Maybe the third? I doubt it. Take a chance.

I see no downside at all to this.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not getting into this back & forth over a marginal player who very likely won't be claimed by us. :laugh:

Haha. I just don't see the risk at all. I agree that he is a) marginal and b) likely won't be claimed, but it seems like something that should interest us all, given the fact that he is a young, controllable player, who has at least somewhat of a decent upside (unless, you are of the opinion that if you haven't "made it" by 23 then you can't make it).

Aside from the assertion that cap space would be compromised moving forward, which is not an actual issue given that this team is very unlikely to be adding at any time this season (or at least shouldn't be adding), what is the harm? I mean come on we took a chance on Zherdev...a Russian that got ran out of town for being a stereotypical Russian! Why not take a flyer on MPS. Unless I am missing something...if it doesn't work out he can be waived. Hell if he plays ten games and is too painful to watch...just waive him! That is the worst case scenario.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

That's pretty neat. All through the meal, I'd have the urge to pass close behind him and say, "The Peking duck is pretty good. E4. Take it for your first with a conditional dessert."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad