Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Using a combo of stats.hockeyanalysis.com and behindthenet.ca works pretty well. hockeyanalysis has a with or without you page for each player in the NHL in each game situation.

Thanks AY. I've felt out of the loop since extraskater went down; it was a bit easier than what's out there now, although I do like behind the net!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I was thinking the other day about 'historical' Corsi and Fenwick... gosh would I have loved to see what Lindros' was.

97-98:
60.1% FO (1st in the NHL)
3.21 SOG/G,
+14. (in 63 games)

98-99:
60% FO (2nd in the NHL)
3.41 SOG/G,
+35. (in 71 games)

99-00:
57.8% FO (4th in NHL)
3.4 SOG/G,
+11. (in 55 games)

Especially considering he was not THAT fantastic a PP player for his ability and stature, he scored a heck of a lot of his points at EV for the time, and he had Leclair on his wing who shot so much.

And he was 2nd in the NHL during his Flyers career in the whole NHL in +/-... after Fedorov, who was only +4 ahead with 29 more games played.

Over that time he was 13th amongst forwards in Shots per game, 1st amongst centres in GPG (4th overall)... and Leclair was top 30 in SPG as well and 11th in GPG overall.

I wonder if someone somewhere has every game from the 90's stashed away and could hand them over to get historical advanced stats!

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
I know were not doing too hot right now, but oh my god. The Oilers are a terrible team. I feel for their fans. Just watching them play is consistent face palms. Never getting the puck in deep, never forechecking, and the defense constantly getting beat/turning it over. They need a new coach and a big roster shake up.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I know were not doing too hot right now, but oh my god. The Oilers are a terrible team. I feel for their fans. Just watching them play is consistent face palms. Never getting the puck in deep, never forechecking, and the defense constantly getting beat/turning it over. They need a new coach and a big roster shake up.

Most have been saying for a few years they should have traded for or drafted an all-round, responsible two way centre who plays with his heart on his sleeve.

If they could go back I imagine they draft Landeskog... I think intangibles as a phrase is thrown around too often, and RNH is a great player with still a wad of upside, but they need that kind of guy, like Landeskog, Johanson, Backes, ROR, Little etc... or Richards or Kesler a few years back.

They need someone to build a culture round... and while they have Hall who is fantastic, and underrated, he does not seem the kind of character to do that with.

If I were them I may have traded down to try and get a guy like Wennberg in 2013... though maybe that is extreme... it would have been hard to pass on Nurse.

They realised that as well, and drafted Draisaitl... who I hope for their sake develops into a 60+ 2 way guy. But they surely would have preferred to have that piece a few years ago.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The only way the really can generate offense is off the rush with guys like Hall, Eberle, Perron, etc.

They're just a poorly built team with terrible coaching & management, there's really no excuse to stockpile this many top picks & still suck with no signs of improvement.

2007 - Sam Gagner #7
2009 - Magnus Paajarvi #10
2010 - Taylor Hall #1
2011 - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins #1
2012 - Nail Yakupov #1
2013 - Darnell Nurse #7
2014 - Leon Draisaitl #3

They were supposed to select #12 originally in the 2008 but traded that pick & picked up #22 pick in another trade which was used to select Jordan Eberle. They also selected Oscar Klefbom #19 in 2011 which was picked up in another trade as well.

It wouldn't shock me if they select top 10 again for these next two years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Edmonton built their team *** backwards by selecting a ton of wingers & an undersized center. They just started doing what they should have done from the beginning these past two drafts.

They really could have turned corner with the 2011 & 2012 drafts if they didn't select the players they did. As mentioned above with Landeskog over RNH in 2011 & trading out of #1 to select one of the many defensemen that went in the top 10 in 2012.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't feel bad for them, or any other team, at all.

If I were them I'd trade one of their top end guys or high picks for a couple of more complimentary players so it's not all flash and no substance. Otherwise they'll waste all of those skill guys on years when they have no chance to compete.

They've been rebuilding for a long time and our "rebuild", or whatever you'd call it, is already ahead of theirs. We have players that are going to step in over the next few years and hopefully make us contenders.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
AnxiousWelldocumentedLark.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

THey just do nothing right. Nothing.

I feel badly for all the high end talent they draft. They have no hope of developing properly in that ****show. The worst part is the staggering denial and arrogance in the front office.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Edmonton built their team *** backwards by selecting a ton of wingers & an undersized center. They just started doing what they should have done from the beginning these past two drafts.

They really could have turned corner with the 2011 & 2012 drafts if they didn't select the players they did. As mentioned above with Landeskog over RNH in 2011 & trading out of #1 to select one of the many defensemen that went in the top 10 in 2012.

Psssst. They are like us.

They have their forwards set yet are awaiting the kids in D to get them to the next level. For them, it's the playoffs. For us, it's hopefully much more.

The Oilers really could have benefitted from someone like Hartnell added to the team. He would have helped the forwards. But like us, their D is so very poor.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia

They have their forwards set yet are awaiting the kids in D to get them to the next level. For them, it's the playoffs. For us, it's hopefully much more.

The Oilers really could have benefitted from someone like Hartnell added to the team. He would have helped the forwards. But like us, their D is so very poor.

Agree, we are in no position to laugh at them in regards to how to build a team!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't say their forward position is set. Their center ice position is horrible. RNH is too small & too soft to ever be that #1 center out West. They're basically putting Draisaitl in their top 6 by default which could be a potential disaster longterm. RNH & Yakupov also have regressed since their rookie years. They also barely have any forwards that play a lick of defense.

So essentially they have Hall, Eberle, & Perron who are all similar players. As I said above I don't think they'll be good for another two years after that who knows they're becoming like the Cleveland Browns of the NHL (no matter what they do they look like the same team every year).

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Thanks AY. I've felt out of the loop since extraskater went down; it was a bit easier than what's out there now, although I do like behind the net!

Extra skater's brother in law
http://war-on-ice.com

Also just noticed we have the 2nd worst CF %(28.57%) when having a Lead which is atrocious.

Last edited:

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone remember Ed Webb? He had to be one of the biggest trolls on the Flyers page I have ever seen. Big fat old guy who looks like he's restricted to a chair. Wonder if he's even still alive...

Oh god I thought I was the only one :laugh:

Sometimes he'd even post a video rant. Always good for a laugh.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Our forwards and Edmonton's aren't comparable at all. Edmonton's forward group is entirely top-heavy, they are built around wingers whilst we're more balanced and our best player is a center, and they lack in two-way ability a lot while we actually have a bunch of guys with good to great two-way ability. Really not the same in any way.

That .gif is hilarious though. If you look to the side whoever the guy near the dots is drifts the same way as Purcell and Fayne as well. I guess they were all just thinking "swarm!" lol.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Our forwards and Edmonton's aren't comparable at all. Edmonton's forward group is entirely top-heavy, they are built around wingers whilst we're more balanced and our best player is a center, and they lack in two-way ability a lot while we actually have a bunch of guys with good to great two-way ability. Really not the same in any way.

That .gif is hilarious though. If you look to the side whoever the guy near the dots is drifts the same way as Purcell and Fayne as well. I guess they were all just thinking "swarm!" lol.

Yeh, our forward group is very balanced... with the only glaring hole being 1LW. Theirs is all over the place balance wise.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Edm has been run very poorly for quite some time but i think their fate was sealed with the 2010 draft. Hall was the better player at the time and had the pedigree. Seguin played the more important position. Had they drafted seguin they probably would've drafted Landeskog in 2011, and in 2012 murray.

But really 2011, 2012 are two horrible years to have the number 1pick. 2007-2010 the first pick were all studs.

The oilers are my 2nd team. I usually watch quite a bit at the beginning of the year and then give up in the middle of the year, and sporadically keep tabs with them the rest of the way. From what I've seen so far is just a complete Regression from RNH. He looked like he would become the best pp player in the league his rookie year and since then he has never really improved. His skating looks worst this year for some reason and can't keep up with hall, and he is so easily knocked off the puck that he is a non factor 5 v5. I don't think he is ever going to develop into the player they were hoping he was going to be.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Giroux. Giroux and RNH are not your typical first line centers, that can dominate possession of the puck because they are blessed with physical gifts and soft hands. Both G and RNh have great hands and limited physical gifts, but giroux makes up for this with his great decision making and his ability to get rid of the puck fast, whereas RNH is such a slow decision maker and can't get the puck off his stick

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Edm has been run very poorly for quite some time but i think their fate was sealed with the 2010 draft. Hall was the better player at the time and had the pedigree. Seguin played the more important position. Had they drafted seguin they probably would've drafted Landeskog in 2011, and in 2012 murray.

But really 2011, 2012 are two horrible years to have the number 1pick. 2007-2010 the first pick were all studs.

The oilers are my 2nd team. I usually watch quite a bit at the beginning of the year and then give up in the middle of the year, and sporadically keep tabs with them the rest of the way. From what I've seen so far is just a complete Regression from RNH. He looked like he would become the best pp player in the league his rookie year and since then he has never really improved. His skating looks worst this year for some reason and can't keep up with hall, and he is so easily knocked off the puck that he is a non factor 5 v5. I don't think he is ever going to develop into the player they were hoping he was going to be.

In a lot of ways he reminds me of Giroux. Giroux and RNH are not your typical first line centers, that can dominate possession of the puck because they are blessed with physical gifts and soft hands. Both G and RNh have great hands and limited physical gifts, but giroux makes up for this with his great decision making and his ability to get rid of the puck fast, whereas RNH is such a slow decision maker and can't get the puck off his stick

Giroux is, and always has been, a far grittier, better defensive player as well. Who while small likes physicality and can play the boards so long as not against a behemoth. I have never seen RNH half as fired up as Giroux gets either. On ice Giroux always looks like one of the most competitive players I have ever seen...

and yeh, Girouxs awareness is off the charts.

I still remember that no look backhand to Richards when he was in his 2nd? year. I still have no clue how he saw him. From the other angle he never looked.

TRrO_Q.gif

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't get why anyone goes to Edmonton games anymore. I don't get how you could support that team and such an inconsiderate, selfish, possibly delusional owner for a team you know will be more likely to suck then win. I don't mind jersey throwing either, I think it's actually an awesome way of showing disappointment, but it's even more confusing how you could be that fed up with the team and still go to the games.

Applies to any Canadian team really too. Maybe it's just me though.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Giroux is, and always has been, a far grittier, better defensive player as well. Who while small likes physicality and can play the boards so long as not against a behemoth. I have never seen RNH half as fired up as Giroux gets either. On ice Giroux always looks like one of the most competitive players I have ever seen...

and yeh, Girouxs awareness is off the charts.

I still remember that no look backhand to Richards when he was in his 2nd? year. I still have no clue how he saw him. From the other angle he never looked.

TRrO_Q.gif

Giroux is way more grittier than RNH , I've never seen an ounce of grit from RNH. i remember thinking he was going to be a stud his rookie year because he was tearing up the pp. But he has never shown any improvement in his game ( except for faceoffs, before he was god awful, now he looks adequate). I just think looking back at it the 2011 class is going to look like one of the worst draft classes in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad