Miscellaneous NHL Talk V9.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Erik Karlsson WTFpwning Kucherov and McDavid:

From The Athletic:
On Jan. 5 against Tampa Bay, Karlsson saw more time against league-leading scorer Nikita Kucherov and linemates Brayden Point and Tyler Johnson than anyone else on the Lightning. The result was arguably Kucherov’s worst game of the season so far, as he went without a shot on goal and a minus-4 rating, while the Sharks outscored the Lightning 2-0 when both he and Karlsson were on the ice together.

the Oilers visiting SAP Center on Jan. 8, and Karlsson was tasked with helping to subdue Connor McDavid. When they were both on the ice together, the Sharks managed 23 shot attempts to just five for the Oilers, as well as a whopping 11-1 advantage in shots on goal. Karlsson had his second straight three-assist night, McDavid was a minus-3, and the Sharks won easily, 7-2.

From Peter DeBoer
“He’s exceptional defensively. He’s as good defensively as offensively, and he always has been,” said the Sharks coach. “I said that right from day one when we acquired him.”
“It’s his gap, it’s his stick-work, it’s the number of (turnovers he creates), it’s his fearlessness to end plays without being reckless. His feet allow him to do that. And he competes in our end, too. … He’s not a big guy, but he’s surprisingly strong on his stick, on his feet, in the battles. You see him in the corners with guys a lot bigger than him and he’s usually coming out with the puck. He’s been exceptional.”

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I didn’t realize how much Erik Karlsson had turned his season around. He wasn’t himself last year after the ankle surgery & started poorly this season, too. Nice to see that he has found his old form.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But it also demonstrates that a medical exam of the ankle is vital in free agency, a lot of those severe injuries can be degenerative.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Ekholm isn't a free agent for 3.5 more years. He's 28, a top pair defenseman, and signed to a contract every bit as much of a steal as Ghost. I don't know what this summer or Stralman has to do with anything. Ekholm is a lot better player than Stralman these days, and would be our #1 defenseman if he was here. Forget pairing him with Provorov; worry about who you'd pair with Ekholm.

This is all moot. They're not trading him at his value for anything less than a steal.
My response on Ekholm was regarding another poster's comments back in the thread regarding acquiring Ekholm in the off season. They were theorizing that Ekholm could be had due to the abundance of defensive prospects that Nashville has along with their supposed desire to obtain Simmonds.
Stralman will be a FA this summer and would be probably as good of an addition to the club as any defenseman that the Flyers could add through trade at this time.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
But it also demonstrates that a medical exam of the ankle is vital in free agency, a lot of those severe injuries can be degenerative.
I agree — I said I’d be very leery of Karlsson in FA because he’s going to get a huge long-term contract & the Forsberg foot fiasco remains fresh in my mind.

Karlsson himself last year sounded skeptical he’d ever return to his former level & he’s missing a lot of bone from his ankle.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
if you are counting on Couturier to pick corners we are in trouble. He's not a sniper...not his game.

While that's he true, he was able to to early last season. He was on fire on the PP and was elevating pucks too. Everything this year is low when he does get a shot off. Gimme JVR there. He has better finishing ability and is way better at deflecting point shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad