Miscellaneous NHL Talk V9.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Not putting down Ekholm, he''s a good LH defenseman but why give up something to get him in the off season? If the Flyers are going to go for a defenseman in the summer, get the Lightning's Strahlman as a FA. He's a righty and could play top pair with Provorv

Ekholm is younger, under contract on a good number and I don't want to do it in the off-season, I want before deadline, Nashville has plenty of depth at the D position and could use Voracek for their play-off run. Deal Simmer and Hagg to Toronto for Kapanen and start getting ready for our Free Agent off-season. My real want is to trade for Muzzin using a pick and prospects.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Stone's really good. I prefer the other two, but he is definitely someone worth getting excited about.

1. Karlsson
2. Panarin
3. Stone

Would be my wishlist. After those 3 I'm less enthused, but still some good players potentially available. Hopefully most make it to July 1. Could be the rare free agency period where it is wise to break the bank.

4. Duchene (good player, seems like a dick though)
5. Skinner
6. Nyquist
7. Hayes
8. Pavelski
9. Lee
10. Donskoi

Something like that. I didn't give much thought to the order. Staal's a UFA too. Will Fletch try his luck again?
This weirdly feels like the season that must not be named, which was followed by two marquee summer UFA signings.

Would be nice to get in the game again after the atrocity that is this season.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I feel like Ek and Panarin get a lot of coverage here, and don't get me wrong, I would like either of them, but am I the only one that wants Stone more than either? He could be a good winger for a center like Frost next year.

Stone will be cheaper. Perhaps as much as $3 mil+. That surely matters. Do I want Stone MORE than them? No. He's amazing, and beggars can't be choosers, but Panarin (we'll bring him up first as another winger) is a much better fit to me, besides being a better talent.

This team needs a dynamic, shifty player to bring out the potential in all their other players. As good as Stone is -- which is to say better than anyone -- his skill-set as a somewhat sluggish 2-way PWF and PP net front isn't as important for this group, which is a bit overflowing on those (to whatever talent level). Panarin is a PP half wall QB, has elite puck skills, a better shot, is faster, and just better offensively as a whole. I'll also be the first to champion signing Stone in lieu of Panarin. Stone is the perfect winger to have once you already have a Panarin type is how I look at it.

As for EK, again, you're talking about a top 3 d-man in the league. Health concerns, cost, age are all relevant. But again it's about fit and pure talent, and him playing 25 minutes a night impacts this team more than Stone.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not putting down Ekholm, he''s a good LH defenseman but why give up something to get him in the off season? If the Flyers are going to go for a defenseman in the summer, get the Lightning's Strahlman as a FA. He's a righty and could play top pair with Provorv

Ekholm isn't a free agent for 3.5 more years. He's 28, a top pair defenseman, and signed to a contract every bit as much of a steal as Ghost. I don't know what this summer or Stralman has to do with anything. Ekholm is a lot better player than Stralman these days, and would be our #1 defenseman if he was here. Forget pairing him with Provorov; worry about who you'd pair with Ekholm.

This is all moot. They're not trading him at his value for anything less than a steal.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I wanted Tuch at the draft, thought he was the type of winger we were lacking.

I didn't know Tuch was close to PPG. He was never on my radar whatsoever

It's amazing what being coached by Gerard Gallant can do for a player.

Don't be fooled. If Tuch was here, he'd be struggling just like every other player we have. Our culture and coaching ruin players.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Don't be fooled. If Tuch was here, he'd be struggling just like every other player we have. Our culture and coaching ruin players.

Tuch schmuck. I'd take Sanheim over him and not think twice about it. If you're going to wish longingly for a forward, dream about Pastrnak 7 spots AFTER Tuch.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Tuch schmuck. I'd take Sanheim over him and not think twice about it. If you're going to wish longingly for a forward, dream about Pastrnak 7 spots AFTER Tuch.

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Stone will be cheaper. Perhaps as much as $3 mil+. That surely matters. Do I want Stone MORE than them? No. He's amazing, and beggars can't be choosers, but Panarin (we'll bring him up first as another winger) is a much better fit to me, besides being a better talent.

This team needs a dynamic, shifty player to bring out the potential in all their other players. As good as Stone is -- which is to say better than anyone -- his skill-set as a somewhat sluggish 2-way PWF and PP net front isn't as important for this group, which is a bit overflowing on those (to whatever talent level). Panarin is a PP half wall QB, has elite puck skills, a better shot, is faster, and just better offensively as a whole. I'll also be the first to champion signing Stone in lieu of Panarin. Stone is the perfect winger to have once you already have a Panarin type is how I look at it.

As for EK, again, you're talking about a top 3 d-man in the league. Health concerns, cost, age are all relevant. But again it's about fit and pure talent, and him playing 25 minutes a night impacts this team more than Stone.

If this team was already a solid playoff team, I'd gamble on EK, but he can't take them over the top by himself, they're still 2-3 years away (it's not just the kids arriving, but maturing, look at our young defense, there's a reason most top defensemen are 24-32 years old). You'd hate to pay him big bucks, waste the first two years, then see him cripple your cap in the out years just as the team becomes competitive.

Panarin is a wet dream, but why would he want to come here - he's going to get paid anywhere he goes - we're not the first choice right now.
Stone makes sense if you move out a couple expensive veterans like Voracek and Simmonds and replace them with a more fundamentally sound RW.
If we accumulate a bunch of picks at the TDL, we should be able to land a young forward or two, even top young guys don't cost more than a later 1st and 2nd rd pick, and maybe throw in a 2nd tier prospect or take a bad contract as a sweetener (look at June trades the last five years).
And of course, we're drafting Kakko :naughty:

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Really depends on the coach they bring in...Quenneville could attract Panarin but not sure if they are truly looking at him anymore.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This. We have been playing a losing brand of hockey for years. I bet players on the Flyers expect to lose too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hextall should be fired for taking NAK instead of Point.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
One takeaway from this year is that we should forever put to bed the notion that we can just evaluate players on their even-strength scoring and act like anyone can replace good/elite PP scorers.

The loss of Brayden Schenn on the PP was pretty big. They haven't made up for his production. They haven't replaced the production of Wayne Simmonds (RIP). PP2 might as well be playing shorthanded.

Panarin is the perfect panacea for what ails this team.

Reactions: Tripod and Striiker

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
One takeaway from this year is that we should forever put to bed the notion that we can just evaluate players on their even-strength scoring and act like anyone can replace good/elite PP scorers.

The loss of Brayden Schenn on the PP was pretty big. They haven't made up for his production. They haven't replaced the production of Wayne Simmonds (RIP). PP2 might as well be playing shorthanded.

Panarin is the perfect panacea for what ails this team.
The PP was fine last year without Schenn.

I think Simmonds being complete trash, frustration and trying to force things, and a healthy dose of bad luck are the problem right now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The PP was fine last year without Schenn.

I think Simmonds being complete trash, frustration and trying to force things, and a healthy dose of bad luck are the problem right now.

It was still better with Schenn though.

From 14-15 through end of 16-17, it ranked 3rd overall.

Coots is not as effective in the slot. Id like to see JVR there.

Reactions: Tripod

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hextall should be fired for taking NAK instead of Point.
Meh. Pretty much every GM in the NHL passed on him between NAK and when Point was actually taken (including TBL). I'd say a bigger travesty is Laberge over DeBrincat, especially after taking Rubstov in the first round.

Reactions: baudib1

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I think it's a mistake to look at ranking because that doesn't strictly look at the top unit.

Just look at the top units PP scoring with/without Schenn

Giroux
2017-2018 - 36 points in 285:14
2016-2017 - 31 points in 307:05

Voracek
2017-2018 - 35 points in 286:20
2016-2017 - 23 points in 294:59

Ghost
2017-2018 - 33 points in 281:18
2016-2017 - 23 points in 290:58

Obviously this doesn't account for a ton of other factors, but I'm just saying it doesn't seem like there was a clear downgrade after Schenn was gone. I'm not saying he didn't help, because he definitely did, but I don't think it's been a problem.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, and Ghost all had career years last season. Of course the PP was going to be productive. But it was an outlier.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I said before, in an ideal world, neither Couts or Provy would be on the PP....but then would be on the next shift AFTER the PP to keep the momentum going...or to at least go up against the opponents if they gained momentum.

I do hope our PP is changed at some point...style wise. Seeing other teams have guys weaving in and out of scoring lanes meanwhile our guys are standing still...slightly rotating at times.

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->