Miscellaneous NHL Talk V7.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Honestly, I would rather watch Hak hockey vs Berube hockey.

I think people forget how awful watching games were under Berube. And that is saying something because it's painful at times now as well.
Tbf, he also had a terrible team to work with. No Ghost, no Provorov. Our defense had guys like Colaiacovo, Grossmann and Nick Schultz. That was a rebuilding team.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Honestly, I would rather watch Hak hockey vs Berube hockey.

I think people forget how awful watching games were under Berube. And that is saying something because it's painful at times now as well.

It's pretty similar. Our 5v5 scoring was worse but so was our lineup by a considerable margin and at least our special teams were good.

Now we just suck all the way across the board.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Tbf, he also had a terrible team to work with. No Ghost, no Provorov. Our defense had guys like Colaiacovo, Grossmann and Nick Schultz. That was a rebuilding team.

This.

Way less talent to work with and still came pretty damn close to winning a playoff series against a Rangers team that ended up going to the Finals. We win that series if Mason started it.

He was an awful coach, but he was better than what Hakstol has been so far.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Coburn, Streit, Kimmo and Grossman were the top four, L Schenn was #5 and Meszaros/Gustafsson #6 until Holmgren traded for MacDonald.
Mason overcame Emery to carry them to the playoffs.

The next season, Streit, MDZ, MacDonald, Schultz, Grossman, L Schenn were the defense, Coburn played 39 games and Colaiacovo 33.
But they actually gave up 4 less goals than the previous year.
Problem is they scored 20 less, Hartnell traded, Vinnie, Read fell off, Voracek had a big year, Giroux 36 ES points, no one else with 30.
Mason played out of his head (.928 S%), but Emery stunk (.894).

The offense didn't recover until the second half of last season, shows a few stars can't overcome a lack of depth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Shows you Q isn't looking for any job, I'm sure he was the first phone call by both St Louis and Edmonton.
Edmonton and St Louis hired former Flyer retread coaches, that makes you want to fire Hakstol? :sarcasm:

Firing a coach just to placate fans is silly, it's not like a new coach is going to perform miracles with Pickard and Lyon in goal.

Reactions: TheKingPin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Look, just call Chiarelli every day and see what shakes out.

Hell, you can hire someone to tail him and call the Batphone when he's triggered because a barista mistakenly gave him skim milk. There's no downside.

It's probably too late, though. This looks like a cleaning house in the offseason hire.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
bring_out_yer_dead.gif

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Shows you Q isn't looking for any job, I'm sure he was the first phone call by both St Louis and Edmonton.
Edmonton and St Louis hired former Flyer retread coaches, that makes you want to fire Hakstol? :sarcasm:

Firing a coach just to placate fans is silly, it's not like a new coach is going to perform miracles with Pickard and Lyon in goal.

I love how you just change your argument after some coaches just got fired. Hitchcock is a dinosaur but at least he's a winner. Berube should just be an assistant and probably will just be an interim for the Blues.

Fact is Hakstol and Co. are garbage and need to be fired.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hitch is one of the few guys I wouldn't want in place of Simple Hak. He also loves veteran try-hards and his system is even more joyless and boring. That's a pretty awful decision by the King of awful decisions, Peter Chiarelli.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Hitch is one of the few guys I wouldn't want in place of Simple Hak. He also loves veteran try-hards and his system is even more joyless and boring. That's a pretty awful decision by the King of awful decisions, Peter Chiarelli.
This may be true, but at least Hitch's boring system wins games.

Honk's system is the worst of both worlds.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This may be true, but at least Hitch's boring system wins games.

Honk's system is the worst of both worlds.

I dunno. Under Hitch, Dallas finished 6 points behind the Flyers and out of the Playoffs last season with better goaltending and a similarly constructed roster.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I dunno. Under Hitch, Dallas finished 6 points behind the Flyers and out of the Playoffs last season with better goaltending and a similarly constructed roster.
Fair point. But Hitch has a track record of success in the NHL at the very least. Still a better choice than Honk.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Sounds like we may have dodged a bullet with that Hitchcock hire. Also means one less team in the Q lottery, but I know deep in my heart we're not getting Q.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad