Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
These are awful...

DyB-zPdWoAARPr6.jpg

My first reaction upon seeing the image: "Why is someone posting crappy knock-off jerseys in this thread?"

My reaction after learning what they are: "Oh."

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Thats a pretty weak return for Muzzin.

Grundstrom and Durzi are dime-a-dozen assets and thats gonna be a late 1st in all likelihood.

Blake has been pretty bad so far in LA.

Dubas is killing it. Sigh.
Grundstrom is a great player. He'd be perfect for us on the 3rd line. Fast, feisty, great hands and good PK. Leafs lack toughness up front so they go and trade their only prospect that plays with grit. Interesting....

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What would have happened on this board if Fletcher got Muzzin for say

Allison+ Ginning + 2020 first
or
Ratcliffe + Friedman + 2019 first (top-5 protected)

???
...which would be about equal value compared to what Toronto gave up in the deal. I envision a lynchmob on Broad Street.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I mean our first round pick is probably going to be somewhere in the 6-12 range so that’s a lot more valuable than the pick Toronto is likely giving up. We’re not making the playoffs this year so that’s one wasted opportunity with Muzzin & he’s UFA after the next season.

So Fletcher would get criticized for that move & rightfully so.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Muzzin isn't a good fit.
LHD, which we don't need.
Turns 30 in February, too old to be part of finishing the rebuild.
Only one more year left on his team friendly deal, then an extension starting at 31/32.

Typical example of a well marinated mid-round defensive pick:
Overage year in the OHL in his D+3 season, never signed by the Penguins who drafted him in the 5th rd.
Two years in the AHL
Finally won a starting job a couple months before his 24th birthday.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I mean our first round pick is probably going to be somewhere in the 6-12 range so that’s a lot more valuable than the pick Toronto is likely giving up. We’re not making the playoffs this year so that’s one wasted opportunity with Muzzin & he’s UFA after the next season.

So Fletcher would get criticized for that move & rightfully so.

Even if you take out the 1st and replace it with this year's 2nd, people wouldn't like any deal that is build around multiple former second round picks because potential future upside always seems to count more than real measurable achievements.

I'm not advocating that Fletcher should have been all over it but Muzzin is a legit top-4 and has cup winning experience. He is worth the return.
Him being a LHD would mean that someone like Hägg would have to go and or Ghost switch back to the right side, which is easily managable.

The Flyers have an abundance of second tier prospects and that kind of move for an experienced Vet still in his prime with some term left is exactly what could help to turn this around quickly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Even if you take out the 1st and replace it with this year's 2nd, people wouldn't like any deal that is build around multiple former second round picks because potential future upside always seems to count more than real measurable achievements.

I'm not advocating that Fletcher should have been all over it but Muzzin is a legit top-4 and has cup winning experience. He is worth the return.
Him being a LHD would mean that someone like Hägg would have to go and or Ghost switch back to the right side, which is easily managable.

The Flyers have an abundance of second tier prospects and that kind of move for an experienced Vet still in his prime with some term left is exactly what could help to turn this around quickly.

I don’t think many reasonable people really care about parting away with Allison &/or Ratcliffe at this point. They’re both depth prospects who’s stock isn’t trending big time in a positive way to make you think any otherwise. But given the Flyers situation this year you’d like someone with more term than Muzzin.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Muzzin is also past his peak, and odds are he'll be in serious decline when an extension comes up.
This is a player that a "win now" team goes for, trading a 1st rd pick in the late 20s and two second tier prospects.
Gundstrom is probably Allison with the bad knee, not as valuable as Ratcliffe.
Durzi is probably similar in value to Zamula.

This is the kind of deal Fletcher should make two years from now, when the Flyers have made the playoffs a couple times, and there's no room for prospects so you trade some for veterans and some for future draft picks to keep the pipeline full.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t think many reasonable people really care about parting away with Allison &/or Ratcliffe at this point. They’re both depth prospects who’s stock isn’t trending big time in a positive way to make you think any otherwise. But given the Flyers situation this year you’d like someone with more term than Muzzin.

Allison is a question mark with the knee, but what does Ratcliffe have to do other than be on a 50 goal pace to show improvement?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Or right handed.

Funny how a good team like the TML don't care about this (RHD was a need) and just got the best player they could. Meanwhile the Flyers fret over fit and just stick Hagg in the lineup for two years.

The last time the Flyers were in the SCF they had 6 lefty defensemen.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Put Muzzin and Panarin on this team and we'll win the Cup next year.
That’s a little like thinking the Briere & Timonen signings in ‘07 equaled Cup. Nothing’s quite that simple, & there are some great teams in the East to compete with. Plus, you can’t assume that wanting Panarin is enough to sign him; the Flyers desperately wanted Suter & Parise & got neither. Many teams will be fighting for Panarin, & by most accounts he has geographical preferences that would place other franchises above Philly in the competition for his service.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
What would have happened on this board if Fletcher got Muzzin for say

Allison+ Ginning + 2020 first
or
Ratcliffe + Friedman + 2019 first (top-5 protected)

???
...which would be about equal value compared to what Toronto gave up in the deal. I envision a lynchmob on Broad Street.
Bout f***in time is what i would say. Get a player flyers fans love.

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That’s a little like thinking the Briere & Timonen signings in ‘07 equaled Cup. Nothing’s quite that simple, & there are some great teams in the East to compete with. Plus, you can’t assume that wanting Panarin is enough to sign him; the Flyers desperately wanted Suter & Parise & got neither. Many teams will be fighting for Panarin, & by most accounts he has geographical preferences that would place other franchises above Philly in the competition for his service.

It's not really anything at all like that and I'm not assuming Panarin signs here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad