Miscellaneous NHL Talk, Summer of 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The US program plays around 60 games a year. So it’s not that similar to a college schedule. They’re not only traveling around the country but also out of the country with tournaments as well.

Hughes pretty much dominated that entire circuit mostly as a 16 year old (May 14th birthday). A move up whether it was to college or the CHL would have been most ideal. But I guess there could have been an issue with accelerating his classes & Mississauga owns his CHL rights which isn’t exactly a destination spot.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The US program plays around 60 games a year. So it’s not that similar to a college schedule. They’re not only traveling around the country but also out of the country with tournaments as well.

Hughes pretty much dominated that entire circuit mostly as a 16 year old (May 14th birthday). A move up whether it was to college or the CHL would have been most ideal. But I guess there could have been an issue with accelerating his classes & Mississauga owns his CHL rights which isn’t exactly a destination spot.
Moving up to college yes but moving to the CHL from NTDP is not a move up. The CHL game is all offence the USHL College game it more defence

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Moving up to college yes but moving to the CHL from NTDP is not a move up. The CHL game is all offence the USHL College game it more defence

The CHL is the best junior league in the world. It’s a step up from the USNDTP schedule where you’re having inferior competition with USHL & U18 tournament games. Yeah there’s college exhibition games but that’s only part of it. Hughes isn’t playing college the following season either so keeping college eligibility would be meaningless in this case.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The CHL is the best junior league in the world. It’s a step up from the USNDTP schedule where you’re having inferior competition with USHL & U18 tournament games. Yeah there’s college exhibition games but that’s only part of it. Hughes isn’t playing college the following season either so keeping college eligibility would be meaningless in this case.
You should go work for hockey Canada . Were the greatest were the best we produce all the best talent blah blah blah omg . I wrote a whole bunch of stuff after this countering you but erased it realizing it was just going to cause nothing but an argument . All i am going to say is the leagues are much closer than you think and i watch both leagues live every year .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Why it would make no sense he will play stronger competition when adding in College comp and the US system is based off of way more practice time less game time . There is a reason the US has made such great strides and practice time is it . I have said i am from Winnipeg but am very well versed on both sides of the border and have seen this coming for a while now . They are now setting up prep schools all over the place starting at bantam 13-14 yr olds strictly for development purposes based on way more practice time . At hockey Manitoba meetings they are saying we need to start copying the US development models they are passing us and we are going to try and catch up . It is no different in Sweden or Finland practice practice practice .
There’s also a reason no one has gone directly from the USHL/USNTDP straight to the NHL. Jack has the talent to overcome it, but as I said it’s not ideal. He already shredded the USHL as a 16 year old. What’s left?

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Matthews had a wait until he turned 18 to join his team in Switzerland. He was a late birthday with a September birthday so he didn’t have to wait too long. Hughes would be 17 all the way until May next year. So even if he wanted to he might not legally be able to do so.
Why does he need to wait till he is 18 to play in Europe?

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Why does he neee to wait till he is 18 to play in Europe?

I guess every where’s different but it was an issue with Matthews & the NLA in Switzerland. I guess their season started in like August with camps/preseason but he wasn’t allowed to join the team until he turned 18 in September.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I guess every where’s different but it was an issue with Matthews & the NLA in Switzerland. I guess their season started in like August with camps/preseason but he wasn’t allowed to join the team until he turned 18 in September.
Oh ok. I don't think there is such rule in SHL or SM liiga though so playing in Europe should be possible.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Maybe it just had to do with pro contract as Matthews was making pretty decent coin over there.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Do you really think all teenage kids want to go to the other side of the world and leave their families?

Probably not

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
How much different is it from staying with your billet fam?
Considering most billet families are only a few hours away from their actually families. Compared to playing overseas, which is likely a 8-12 hour flight away...that's much harder for a teenager to handle

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Considering most billet families are only a few hours away from their actually families. Compared to playing overseas, which is likely a 8-12 hour flight away...that's much harder for a teenager to handle
True, plus without half a million incentive like Matthews had I just don't think playing on big ice is overly attractive option development wise.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
God damn when is my boo Karlsson getting traded.
tumblr_n30v6kaoHf1qlu8two2_500.gif

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

You can find a highlight of every defenseman getting burned at least once.

Trouba would help this team a lot. JVR’s homecoming has made fans forget that the biggest problems with last years team were the coaching, the defense and the goaltending. Nothing has been done to fix any of that.

Reactions: BernieParent

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Also let’s not ignore the fact about the neutral zone turnover there. That was the biggest issue on that play. You’re leaving your defense out to dry with that type of play. Trouba was reacting off another teammates mistake.

Also both defenders are going of for a change and had to pull back. This isn’t remotely Trouba fault.

Reactions: Jtown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad