Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 11 (not II) - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Vegas is kind of a disaster right now. The Brandon Pirri magic wore off and basically everyone is slumping, including the top line and Tuch, so they're having a hard time scoring goals. Fleury's been worked to death this season and he's starting to show cracks.

They probably don't have the pieces to get a Panarin or Duchene. I don't think Simmonds does anything for them because this is a team that wants to make plays at high speed, and Wayne can't do that.

I kinda think they should just hunker down and play it conservative, try to sign a free agent and hope that Glass helps them next year.
Gallant the other day was saying that his team needs to play more aggressive and is missing some physicality they had last year. Add in the PP struggles, and Simminds could be a match especially since you know they won't want to pay the top end rental costs.

Also said Fleury us playing too much. Hmmm....what team has an extra goalie....

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Gallant the other day was saying that his team needs to play more aggressive and is missing some physicality they had last year. Add in the PP struggles, and Simminds could be a match especially since you know they won't want to pay the top end rental costs.

Also said Fleury us playing too much. Hmmm....what team has an extra goalie....

The problem is I don't see a natural spot for Simmonds. He doesn't displace Smith/Tuch, and if he plays on the third line that leaves Pirri without a job. Unless they want to move down Lindberg, who's sort of a cross between Lindblom and Weal, a Corsi machine who doesn't score.

Vegas could definitely use Elliott, Subban is horrible.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I thought the 05-06 Hurricanes were too old a reference to support that argument. Are they fair play again???

#ObviousHeelTurn

Eric Staal only had 45 goals and 100 points that season. Rod only won the Selke. Their coach, Lavio-something, was no doubt as good as Hakstol.

They had no stars (as the above shows), rode totally sustainable career years and numbers in a weird post-lockout year, and that's why they became the Hurricanes dynasty we all know and love. You don't need stars to win. Only depth players.

#HeeledYourHeel

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All those contending teams without stars really makes this an open and shut case.
Had you heard that the Flyers stars didn’t carry the team last year and that they actually made the playoffs because of MacDonald coming back from injury?

*This is something that was actually said in real life

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Had you heard that the Flyers stars didn’t carry the team last year and that they actually made the playoffs because of MacDonald coming back from injury?

The same stars are having similar seasons this year and are winning only since Hart came up.

Maybe goalies are more important than stars?
Might have to ask Crosby about that - Pittsburgh spent years in the wilderness when MAF went south.

2017-18: Vegas gets to the SC with Karlsson (#53), Marchessault (UDFA), Perron, R Smith
(Marchessault spent FOUR years in the AHL, proof you can't overmarinate a prospect :sarcasm:)
2016-17: Predators, Arvidsson, Forsberg, Johansen
2015-16: Blackhawks, Toews (46 ES points), Hossa (43), Kane (42), Saad (42), "stars" having ordinary seasons
2014-15: Kings, Kopitar (47), Williams (36), Carter (35), Richards (27)
2010-11: Bruins, Lucic (48), Krejci (50), Horton (45), Bergeron (43)

You don't need a Crosby/Malkin pair or Ovechkin or Kane/Toews putting up huge numbers
You can win a cup with a solid top six, a strong defense and goalie and an average PP.

Which is why the Flyers have enough talent on the way, the question is whether it's the right talent.
That is, they'll be able to field 3 lines and 2 pairs of defensemen and a top goalie, now can they put together 3 lines that can defend as well as score, and teach the young D-men not to cough up the puck on a regular basis?

Giroux, Couts, Patrick, Lindblom, TK, Voracek, JVR all have 40+ ES point potential, and Frost, Farabee, and probably a couple players out of Ratcliffe, Allison, et al. They don't need superstar players to put up 60+ points.
They have four talented young defensemen and Hart.
But right now only the Couts line can control the puck and play defense as well as score.
And the defensemen aren't reliable.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

And McDonald coming back wouldnt have mattered unless the brilliance behind the bench used him the way he did. I'm still baffled by the firing of Hakstol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the scoring will decline a bit next year, the biggest change this year was shrinking the goalie pads and getting rid of Michelin man goalies - this puts a bigger premium on mobile, technically sound goalies over "jolly green giants" - just watch Hart v Stolarz. Teams will note which goalies struggled with the new pads - some will adjust, others will be replaced by young goalies more suitable to the new "normal."

In fact, I won't be surprised if we see this as early as this year's playoffs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And McDonald coming back wouldnt have mattered unless the brilliance behind the bench used him the way he did. I'm still baffled by the firing of Hakstol

289 games clearly isn't enough to evaluate him. We needed at least 500.

I still can't believe they fired him so soon.

He should've been able to coach 500 games before anyone judged him. We might've just fired the best coach of all time, just because we didn't wait long enough.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I still can't believe they fired him so soon.

He should've been able to coach 500 games before anyone judged him. We might've just fired the best coach of all time, just because we didn't wait long enough.

If the flyers wouldve given him some talent to play with, he'd have been fine.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Eric Staal only had 45 goals and 100 points that season. Rod only won the Selke. Their coach, Lavio-something, was no doubt as good as Hakstol.

They had no stars (as the above shows), rode totally sustainable career years and numbers in a weird post-lockout year, and that's why they became the Hurricanes dynasty we all know and love. You don't need stars to win. Only depth players.

#HeeledYourHeel
How could you not mention a decrepit Doug Weight?

In the industry, we call "#HeeledYourHeel" a "#SurpriseFaceTurn". Proper nomenclature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magua and kudymen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We have six gimmies left , 2 with Detroit, Ottawa, NJ, Dallas and the Blackhawks. Got to win five of six.
We also have TB, Wash, 2 home, 1 away, Toronto, Islanders 3 times - need 4 of 8

Games with teams we're chasing:
Pens, Buffalo at home
@ CBJ,
CAR home and away

That's a problem b/c it means we don't have a lot of opportunities to quickly make up ground.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
We have six gimmies left , 2 with Detroit, Ottawa, NJ, Dallas and the Blackhawks. Got to win five of six.
We also have TB, Wash, 2 home, 1 away, Toronto, Islanders 3 times - need 4 of 8

Games with teams we're chasing:
Pens, Buffalo at home
@ CBJ,
CAR home and away

That's a problem b/c it means we don't have a lot of opportunities to quickly make up ground.
We have two games agaisnt the pens.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010

#HeeledYourHeel

I have nothing to bring to this conversation but with all of this heel talk I couldn't resist. I time stamped it. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad