Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part 11 (not II) - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, Gudas has done plenty of dirty deeds, but doesn't come across as a complete **** the way Malkin does.

Guys like Gudas, Rinaldo, and Wilson at least do dirty things while trying to make a play. Malkin does completely dirty shit unrelated to any hockey play. Simply skating near someone is occasion enough to throw an elbow or try to blow out a knee.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also I wouldn’t mind talbot. Let’s not forget that Edmonton is a joke and he might not be as bad as his numbers suggest.
No, he's really bad. My friend @Bleedred does a review of all games on the Devils board of goals and how many of them were stoppable and Talbot almost always has a lot of stoppable ones. I think Jake Allen is currently the leader in allowing softies FWIW.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Does anyone know of a way I can get the orange pom knit hat for the stadium series? I can’t find it anywhere.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also I wouldn’t mind talbot. Let’s not forget that Edmonton is a joke and he might not be as bad as his numbers suggest.
He’s been very bad. Every bit as bad as those numbers suggest. The only thing I’ll say in his defense is that he really hasn’t looked much worse than Koskinen, who has been almost as bad, but it’s not showing up as much in his save percentage like it is in Talbot. There’s been more than one game this year where Talbot allowed 4-6 goals and I thought he should have had 3 of them. Trust me, you don’t want him. Most Flyers goalies this year haven’t looked as bad as him, except for maybe Neuvirth.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
We trade Elliott for Talbot and a pick

Talbot comes here and bombs, helping us in the draft

Talbot leaves as a FA, so we end up with a better draft spot and a bonus pick.

Profit.
10/10 would imagine again.

you know these f***ing clowns will re-sign him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, he's really bad. My friend @Bleedred does a review of all games on the Devils board of goals and how many of them were stoppable and Talbot almost always has a lot of stoppable ones. I think Jake Allen is currently the leader in allowing softies FWIW.
He actually does not lead the league in my count, but he has one of the highest percentages. And it’s BAD. He hasn’t been much worse than Koskinen, who is somehow sporting a league average save percentage, which was in the .920’s around New Years. Lundqvist and Hellebuyck lead my count, Bobrovsky isn’t too far behind. I think I have Talbot down for 32 already and the league leader is at 37, but my data is on my computer. The league leaders aren’t necessarily the worst (much like GAA) but have played a lot of games and allow a lot of goals. Hellebuyck is also near the league lead in games played. Talbot definitely has one of the highest percentages though. Mike Smith may be a little worse on my count out of goalies that have played more than 20 games.

If I had less sympathy, I would have nailed Talbot on one goal against the Sharks over the weekend, where it deflected but leaked right through his arm and body. It looked like a miserably soft goal, but an Oilers defenseman tipped it. It looked like a deflection that is probably stopped 65% of the time and we just don’t notice it, but because the deflection came from close range, I didn’t nail him on it. He also got beaten on a similar deflection against the Hawks that I didn’t count against him, but I did count two goals a piece in that Chicago meltdown and the Sharks game the other night. I’m pretty sure I counted him with one or two in the recent game a few weeks back against the Flyers, but I can’t remember anymore.

I do think Talbot may be able to bounce back if he were a backup somewhere else, but I wouldn’t trust it to happen this year and I wouldn’t waste assests on him.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Guys like Gudas, Rinaldo, and Wilson at least do dirty things while trying to make a play. Malkin does completely dirty **** unrelated to any hockey play. Simply skating near someone is occasion enough to throw an elbow or try to blow out a knee.
Rinaldo was not dirty.. he was misunderstood.. right? @hatcher

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn’t even say Gudas is dirty.

Dumb? Maybe.
Lacking control? Years ago, absolutely.

But I don’t think he’s a dirty player, like a Malkin or Marchand or Neal, where he does it on purpose and knows exactly what he’s doing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As long as they aren’t giving up anything for Talbot I don’t care. They might want to see first hand if he’s a vet backup option for next season. But if they give up anything for him it’s nonsensical. Doubt they would. I’m just as happy seeing how Stolarz does as backup.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd say Simmonds and Gudas are comfortably on the "dirty" side, but not outrageously so. I think other fans would have a different opinion. This is definitely the cleanest Flyers team I've ever seen though.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
LeBrun Notebook: A scenario where Columbus would keep Artemi...

LeBrun says that if Columbus moves Panarin, it will try to acquire another rental like Duchene to replace him. And if there's not a net profit in these transactions (for example, extra picks or the ability to sign Duchene on the spot), the CBJ will just keep Panarin.

Once again, everything hinges on Ottawa. Cites Poile as a big fan of Duchene as well.

Also says Winnipeg is most interested in Stone.

And Eric Staal has a 10-team no-trade list, and most of them are contenders. He did it that way so he'd have max control over where he went.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Really? I've never heard Simmonds labeled dirty. Even other teams fans usually don't describe him that way. Gudas they do, or used to.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I'd say Simmonds and Gudas are comfortably on the "dirty" side, but not outrageously so. I think other fans would have a different opinion. This is definitely the cleanest Flyers team I've ever seen though.
I wouldn’t say dirty exactly but if you put a gun to my head and made me, then I would say Mallon Marchand and Neal were malicious if Gudas and Simmonds were dirty.

Reactions: baudib1

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
LeBrun Notebook: A scenario where Columbus would keep Artemi...

LeBrun says that if Columbus moves Panarin, it will try to acquire another rental like Duchene to replace him. And if there's not a net profit in these transactions (for example, extra picks or the ability to sign Duchene on the spot), the CBJ will just keep Panarin.

Once again, everything hinges on Ottawa. Cites Poile as a big fan of Duchene as well.

Also says Winnipeg is most interested in Stone.

And Eric Staal has a 10-team no-trade list, and most of them are contenders. He did it that way so he'd have max control over where he went.

Stone-Schiefele-Wheeler would be the best line in hockey. I don’t know who would play the left side, but Jesus.

McKenzie is on the WPG wanting Stone train too.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Really? I've never heard Simmonds labeled dirty. Even other teams fans usually don't describe him that way. Gudas they do, or used to.
Yeah, I don't think you can call Simmonds dirty. The only slightly controversial instance I remember was when he punched McDonagh. But even that I wouldn't consider a cheap shot or anything.

Obviously he doesn't shy away from confronting other players between whistles, but I don't remember him ever delivering a cheap shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad