Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not gonna lie and say I'm not glad that we have a pipeline of prospects. What Holmgren did to try and win a cup in the short term with the prodding of the late Mr. Snider was a big setback we are still trying to get over. However, I think Hextall is so myopic (some would say focused and resolute) with his plan that I think it is making the process much slower than need be....Vegas showed that to the entire league. My biggest criticism is Hextall's adamant stance with respect to Hakstol....he is being too obtuse. The guy is no Jacques Lemaire to build the identity of your team with. Hak is all tactical ....he will win you battles but not the war. Hextall needs to wake up to this reality...

Vegas showed nothing, imagine what it would cost in terms of draft picks to put together the Vegas roster, and a lot of those contracts expire in the next year or two.
McPhee was just trying to build a competitive team while his draft picks marinated, he overshot the mark.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Because in today's NHL you can only carry so many big contracts, Flyers already have Giroux and Voracek, and will have a half dozen big RFA contracts over the next four years.
So they aren't going to add a bunch of FAs or trade for veterans that they have to extend, maybe 1-2 over the next three years or so.
Which means the rest of the roster will either be prospects or veteran scrubs - which would you prefer?

And the bottom six is where you put prospects to get on the job training, the talented offensive guys on the 3rd line, the scrappier guys on the 4th line, and young defensemen sheltered on the 3rd pairing.
You are living in fantasy land.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Vegas showed nothing, imagine what it would cost in terms of draft picks to put together the Vegas roster, and a lot of those contracts expire in the next year or two.
McPhee was just trying to build a competitive team while his draft picks marinated, he overshot the mark.
coaching and play style aside, agree Vegas didnt demonstrate a new roster building method.

Vegas had an advantage of being the ONLY expansion team this year and forced a handful teams to give up more "developed" or "seasoned" prospects. They had no other team to compete with in the available selections. The also got a few quality veterans too.

No other existing NHL club gets to operate like this. seattle will be a good comparison in a few years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Time to go read the Habs board!

EDIT- 10/10 would recommend

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
At this point, I think I'd rather have Max Domi.

Previously, I liked Galchenyuk. But he's got multiple things going against him now -- doesn't seem to be able to play center effectively in the NHL; has had a couple of serious knee injuries already. His value is way down.

Domi is a year younger, quicker, and doesn't have the same baggage. Given the option between the two at this point in time, I'd choose Domi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad