Miscellaneous NHL Discussion (mid-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that they will move?

*Paging Flyotes - Paging Mr. Flyotes *

I do find it interesting that they're already floating out "interested parties" in purchasing the team. Barroway doesn't have the cash to go into business for himself on an arena, so nothing really changes there. Hell, he doesn't have the cash to try to cut in on a Suns arena. They still need a place to play and the governmental faucet is off.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
6. Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

From Friedman's thirty thoughts.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
6. Watch New Jersey in the lead-up to the draft. There is a growing suspicion the Devils feel their greatest need is on the blue line, and there are some good ones they like (Miro Heiskanen? Cale Makar?). Anyway, would GM Ray Shero take one of them at the top, or would he move down just a little bit, adding something else, if he knew he could still get what he wanted? Vancouver could use a centre, for example. The compensatory pick from Columbus for hiring John Tortorella (55th overall) is something they dangled to see if it could help them move, but so far, no dice.

From Friedman's thirty thoughts.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-might-waive-no-move-clause-ahead-expansion-draft/

giphy.gif

imfree19

Apr 16, 2012
Because what they've accomplished is so rare in hockey and sports in general. Honestly kudos to them, pretty remarkable achievement.

I agree with you.

I also have kind of lost interest in our whole rivalry over the past 2 years or so. Maybe im just apathetic and desensitized to the whole thing but ive noticed the last couple years the pens/flyers games have showcased a complete lack of rivalry emotions. Its like the players dont care anymore while we still sit here and get irrationally upset. I mean the last time we met in the playoffs was 5 years ago. Since then, we have been **** while they have been taking over the league.

I'm indifferent about the pens winning at this point but I would really prefer if different teams would start winning. Its pretty boring watching 2-3 teams constantly win.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I started out very interested due to the Preds as a new team to the show, but the complete debacle the refs and league made Game 1 in favor of the Pens destroyed it for me.

imfree19

Apr 16, 2012
I started out very interested due to the Preds as a new team to the show, but the complete debacle the refs and league made Game 1 in favor of the Pens destroyed it for me.

I turned off Game 1 after that disallowed goal and didnt watch 2-5. Then turned on Game 6 a few minutes in and saw the Preds get screwed once again.

Seems like I didnt miss much.

The rest of the playoffs were entertaining though.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

exactly...

until the NHL treats Cindy C. and the rest of the dirty birds the same as the rest of the league... the Pens deserve NOTHING in regards to congrats..

:soap:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Are you guys seriously going on about the NHL reffing that game to the point where the Penguins were going to win?

The Preds lost because of their A) PP and B) Rinne. Isn't much more to it than that.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that they will move?

*Paging Flyotes - Paging Mr. Flyotes *

rt would know better than I.

It is hard to say-- reducing owners makes it easier to move, but it also makes it easier to stay if he wants to stay and has the $. Part of the stadium scams is getting tax payers to fund it, if they can't, it makes it harder.

I don't believe anything the NHL has to say regarding it, beyond the historic sentiment that they wanted it to work.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Matthew Murray led the Pens to two cups at age 21-22.
There's a reason Hextall has stockpiled young goalies.

Pittsburgh had some luck, but hey, we just got similar luck (picking #2).
They also made a smart trade for Kessel, picked Murray in the 3rd rd, signed an undersized Sheary (5'8 175) out of college, picked up Justin Schultz for a 3rd rd pick, traded Suter for Bonino, drafted Letang and Guentzel in the 3rd rd, traded Burtuzzo for Ian Cole, . . .

So it just goes to show you that building a champion isn't just about having some elite players, it's also about smart trades and good drafting after the 1st rd.

Fortunately, Hextall seems to have this blueprint down cold, great "little" trades (picking up draft picks, usuable players like Weal and dumping contracts), drafting after the first round.

"Luck is the residue of design."

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Everybody thought when the Pens got Rutherford it would lead to their demise...look at this crap we have to witness now. Makes the Flyers look like chumps in their own state. BTW..I'm just venting irrational hate. I would have done the same if the Rangers won tbh...but this team has a bunch of players with "Backpfeifengesicht".....:rant:

Here is a prime example...

“I ultimately take responsibility for everything,” Karmanos said.

Rutherford, now the Penguins GM, made perhaps the biggest NHL splash Wednesday, completing a trade that brought Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh. That also earned a mention from Karmanos, who quipped, “I do not have to take responsibility for Pittsburgh signing Kessel.

“Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore,” he added. “They traded their first-round pick from the year before, they traded their first-round pick for this year and now they've traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/hurricanes-owner-peter-karmanos-slams-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford/

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Everybody thought when the Pens got Rutherford it would lead to their demise...look at this crap we have to witness now. Makes the Flyers look like chumps in their own state. BTW..I'm just venting irrational hate. I would have done the same if the Rangers won tbh...but this team has a bunch of players with "Backpfeifengesicht".....:rant:

Here is a prime example...

Give it time. Rutherford was good in Carolina for a bit too. Then he runs out of ideas and can't see solutions to problems of his own making.

Similar to Homer. He had solutions to Clarke's problems, but in the end couldn't solve the ones he'd made.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's a different series if Game 1 isn't ruined.

It wasn't the greatest call but you're being over the top. Nashville got boned a few times with bad calls but they dropped the ball hard in games 1,2,5 and in some degree game 6.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Are you guys seriously going on about the NHL reffing that game to the point where the Penguins were going to win?

The Preds lost because of their A) PP and B) Rinne. Isn't much more to it than that.

That’s ultimately true, including an NHL record 37 minutes without a Penguins shot, but let’s be real here: The Penguins are now 12-2 in the playoffs when scoring the first goal. The Predators are 7-2 in the playoffs when scoring the first goal, after going 25-4-8 in the regular season when doing so. When the Penguins have surrendered the first goal in the playoffs, they’re 1-5.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...l-review-changed-course-game-1-135913166.html

Two games in the series the refs took the first goal off the board for Nashville. The odds are that they would have at least won 1 of them if not both. So yeah refs played a big part in the series.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That should be a pretty good prospect to make it worth it, IMO.

I didn't realize how rough of shape they're in cap wise.

https://capfriendly.com/teams/bluejackets

It would still be a good haul for Las Vegas regardless of the prospect. Clarkson's contract shouldn't be a hinderance & I am assuming that first rounder would be this year which the 24th pick overall.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I didn't realize how rough of shape they're in cap wise.

https://capfriendly.com/teams/bluejackets

It would still be a good haul for Las Vegas regardless of the prospect. Clarkson's contract shouldn't be a hinderance & I am assuming that first rounder would be this year which the 24th pick overall.

I would think Vegas has a great opportunity to grab some relatively very nice assets in return for taking on some junk salaries. Arizona might be in the same situation.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Or the teams could be allowed to compete on even ground.

Yep. These aren't mutually exclusive things - Rinne **** the bed, but the team got jobbed many times in this series. It's not the reason they lost - Rinne is - but it didn't help anything. That Sullivan makes my blood boil, man. I really, really, really hate that guy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, exactly. Rinne lost them the series; his team was superior but he was abysmal.

But what interest should I have if the officiating on ice and in the league office is so terrible, and so in favor of only one team?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would think Vegas has a great opportunity to grab some relatively very nice assets in return for taking on some junk salaries. Arizona might be in the same situation.

The thing with Arizona is it's probably got to be low salary. Datsuyk was $0 & Pronger was like $500K or something (off the top of my head) despite having $4M+ caphits.

I think Las Vegas would be more willing to deal with taking on contracts with salary attached. I think it's got to be in a 2-3 year window though.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would imagine deals wlll start coming out tomorrow. The league will give the Penguins a day to celebrate and then the craziness will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad