Miscellaneous NHL Discussion (mid-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Congratulations. Why post that in here today after they have won another one? What's the point? Help me understand why a Flyers fan would view their accomplishments and success with indifference, and even praise them for it.

I have hard time believing any long-time die-hard fan would act this way.

Either a newbie or a casual fan is my only explanation. If i'm wrong, i'll just pretend i'm right..just like I am already pretending last night didn't happen..especially since it shouldn't have since Nashville won Game 1 with 4 good regulation goals to Pittsburghs 3.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Congratulations. Why post that in here today after they have won another one? What's the point? Help me understand why a Flyers fan would view their accomplishments and success with indifference, and even praise them for it.

Because what they've accomplished is so rare in hockey and sports in general. Honestly kudos to them, pretty remarkable achievement.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Either a newbie or a casual fan is my only explanation. If i'm wrong, i'll just pretend i'm right..just like I am already pretending last night didn't happen..especially since it shouldn't have since Nashville won Game 1 with 4 good regulation goals to Pittsburghs 3.

Season ticket holder since 2006. My parents have been going to games since the Spectrum, my Grandparents from Italy didn't care for hockey too much

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I don't, like, decide to be the way I am. Can you imagine if I were this way on purpose? :laugh: It's just the way I am - I run hot and competitive when it comes to sports and when I draw that line in the sand, I don't modulate my feelings for the other side - I let all of the hatred and annoyance and everything else just pour out of me on them. I borrow from other things I hate (snakes, Bon Jovi, this guy named Mike, etc.) and pour that on them as well. But when I do think about this, and examine the way I am, I figure that it is better to be hot-blooded than cold-blooded, and you know why? Because snakes are cold-blooded and I am a mongoose.

Anyone who takes me seriously after this has no one but themselves to blame :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't, like, decide to be the way I am. Can you imagine if I were this way on purpose? :laugh: It's just the way I am - I run hot and competitive when it comes to sports and when I draw that line in the sand, I don't modulate my feelings for the other side - I let all of the hatred and annoyance and everything else just pour out of me on them. I borrow from other things I hate (snakes, Bon Jovi, this guy named Mike, etc.) and pour that on them as well. But when I do think about this, and examine the way I am, I figure that it is better to be hot-blooded than cold-blooded, and you know why? Because snakes are cold-blooded and I am a mongoose.

Anyone who takes me seriously after this has no one but themselves to blame :laugh:

Me and you are the same brother :laugh:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Because what they've accomplished is so rare in hockey and sports in general. Honestly kudos to them, pretty remarkable achievement.
I'm with you
1st team to ever win a Cup w/out any defenseman to garner even 1 Norris vote [Letang would have gotten them one, of course]
Pens were easier to hate a few years ago when they weren't so good, it's almost futile now...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
My hate for the Penguins still burns deep down inside me but at this point i'm a broken man. I don't care if they won again.

BUT... I will never say congratulations or be in awe of them winning.

Did the Mets fans really hate the Phillies when they were dominating them? Nope they gave up after the first couple years.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Pens were easier to hate a few years ago when they weren't so good.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that comes more easily to me than hating them, especially now. I hate them more right now than at any point during the Lemieux years, or at any other time, and I am sure I will still hate them (naturally and easily) when they go to pot again. If you can believe it, I hate the Steelers even more. I couldn't even begin to express how much I hate them, but it is exponentially more than even the Penguins. The furnace I have for my hatred is damned impressive, if I do say so myself. :naughty:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
My hate for the Penguins still burns deep down inside me but at this point i'm a broken man. I don't care if they won again.

BUT... I will never say congratulations or be in awe of them winning.

Me too, HC. The other day when they won one of the games, it hit me - I just kind of rolled my eyes and thought "Who even cares?" It's just that when our people start congratulating them and giving them kudos ... my brain can't compute that. For me, I have to just stop thinking of hockey history, because that is that part that really drives me crazy. I can more or less live with them winning, but what I can't countenance is them having 5 and us having 2. It drives me crazy. So I have to just stop thinking in those terms and just focus on the future, which should be very exciting for us, whether we win one or not.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
NnoGhN1.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I have to see it to believe it this point in regards to Arizona/Phoenix moving. They've been on the hot seat there for seemingly ever & Bettman just keeps finding ways to delay it.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I get its a rivalry, I understand it, but I'm pretty disappointed in reading the large large large amount of sour grapes on this board.

You have to give the Pens credit, think of all the teams in any sports who have high lottery picks and never win anything?? Yeah Crosby and Malkin are legends of the game, but they surrounded them with a great supporting cast and staff.

15-20 years following what could been a relocation, they have a gorgeous new barn and 3 rings in the last 10 years.

I hate the Pens too, but saying "no one actually cares in Pitt" or "this is behind the Steelers OTA's" is such garbage.

Lets hope we strike gold with this #2 pick.

I don't have a problem "giving some credit" to Pitt for putting the team together that they did. They did a good job filling in around Crosby and Malkin. BUT finding decent role players to play around HOF centers really shouldn't be that hard. It isn't some amazing feat that they pulled off. Good job, but i'm not sitting here in awe.

Secondly, they should not get any credit for that arena whatsoever. They threatened to leave to extort the state out of a lot of money to build that stadium. That was a low move.

Feb 8, 2017
I congratulated the Pens last year when they won it. Their stretch and playoff run in 2016 was some of the most dominant hockey I've seen. They were a buzzsaw that no one was stopping.

This year was completely different. I'm not giving them any credit, nor acknowledging any achievement as theirs, after that ****show of a playoffs. **** them and **** the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad