Miscellaneous NHL Discussion (mid-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
What the ****?
I was hoping the Pens would get a goalie interference call to make up for the early whistle on the Preds goal.

I don't ask for much in life. Just don't want to see the Pens or Rags win another cup...and world peace...and to win the lottery....and for each Philly team to win a championship. That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
In all seriousness, I've realized that the more the Pens succeed, the more I love the Flyers because we are all here through the bad times too. Better times are ahead, and someday those frontrunner Pens fans will be back to only watching the Steelers.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
What should be taken out of this series is the need for very good to elite quality forwards. Nashville dominated possession much of the series with their excellent top four but had trouble scoring the last two games. Johansen would of made a bigger difference than Letang. Also the need for a decent 5th defenseman as Laviolette was undermined again by a crappy 3rd pair.

So as great as the Flyers defense is shaping up, they will need to develop some quality forwards. Luckily the Flyers won the lottery.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Luckily the Flyers won the lottery.

Yeah we got some luck for once....but unfortunately tanking like Pitt has done nets you Cups b/c you get generational talents. Not one but MULTIPLE...I mean it just infuriates me because the Flyers have had to make "very good" players their Superstars when they kind of aren't. With this pick I fear the same but heck beggars can't be choosers.

*As far as us having a Superstar in Lindros....well we never got the full benefit because of injuries and the fact we gave up a true Superstar in Forsberg makes it all the more irritating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
In all seriousness, I've realized that the more the Pens succeed, the more I love the Flyers because we are all here through the bad times too. Better times are ahead, and someday those frontrunner Pens fans will be back to only watching the Steelers.

Some are understandably dispondant today but let's not pretend that the Flyers would pack in 17,000 a night if they put up 5 last place finishes in a row. General apathy for the team around this town was already apparent just this year, much less than the Sixers who were worse.

It already began last week with signing Ghost and hiring Knobloch but I see today as the start to next season. I think the action around the league over the next couple of weeks will be hot and heavy.

What should be taken out of this series is the need for very good to elite quality forwards. Nashville dominated possession much of the series with their excellent top four but had trouble scoring the last two games. Johansen would of made a bigger difference than Letang. Also the need for a decent 5th defenseman as Laviolette was undermined again by a crappy 3rd pair.

So as great as the Flyers defense is shaping up, they will need to develop some quality forwards. Luckily the Flyers won the lottery.

Rinne being dreadful in all 3 games in Pittsburgh I think had more to do with it than Johansen and the cause-effect of Letang being out. Penguins also had more defenseman they were comfortable playing which you couldn't say for the Predators. Lavy had to be having flashbacks

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Good grief man, there is seriously nothing worse in sports than seeing these ******* win the Cup. I would prefer any other outcome. Rangers winning, Devils winning, Leafs or Canadiens winning. Flyers being dreadful for a decade. Yankees winning. Cowboys/Giants vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl. I mean I literally can think of no other sports-related outcome worse than this, short of a Philadelphia team (or Rutgers football) relocating or disbanding. Woe is me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Some are understandably dispondant today but let's not pretend that the Flyers would pack in 17,000 a night if they put up 5 last place finishes in a row. General apathy for the team around this town was already apparent just this year, much less than the Sixers who were worse.

It already began last week with signing Ghost and hiring Knobloch but I see today as the start to next season. I think the action around the league over the next couple of weeks will be hot and heavy.

Rinne being dreadful in all 3 games in Pittsburgh I think had more to do with it than Johansen and the cause-effect of Letang being out. Penguins also had more defenseman they were comfortable playing which you couldn't say for the Predators. Lavy had to be having flashbacks

They wouldn't pack it, but it's been better than the Pens historically. See the early 90s with I believe 5 straight missed playoffs for the Flyers. A dip in attendance, but nothing major. The thing is, I don't remember Pens fans in my area when they were good in the 90s. They've sprouted up in the Crosby era though.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

The Penguins have had arguable the best player in 3 generations from Lemieux to Jage to Crosby. You would think after Lemieux the market would have solidified but that were practically giving away playoff tickets after he left. The same will happen when Crosby leaves.

Philadelphia has been near capacity since the Lindros era. This has been the worse run since before him and still enough fans show up at extraordinary prices. I agree apathy has set in Philly but the big difference is the Flyers aren't good. Apathy in Pittsburgh happens when the team is not championship caliber and just competitive and then eventually leads to another bankrupcy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They wouldn't pack it, but it's been better than the Pens historically. See the early 90s with I believe 5 straight missed playoffs for the Flyers. A dip in attendance, but nothing major. The thing is, I don't remember Pens fans in my area when they were good in the 90s. They've sprouted up in the Crosby era though.

There weren't any Phillies fans before 2006, either. If you want fans and buzz, you have to be good.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm happy with the direction the Flyers are headed. That's all that really matters to me.

There weren't any Phillies fans before 2006, either. If you want fans and buzz, you have to be good.

Yep. There are precious few teams who consistently draw when they're not winning. We've all seen half empty stadiums reported as sellouts due to the machinations of attendance reporting. Popularity on that kind of level ultimately comes down to the more casual fans (I really wish we had a better term that didn't have such a negative connotation) paying consistent attention.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I get its a rivalry, I understand it, but I'm pretty disappointed in reading the large large large amount of sour grapes on this board.

You have to give the Pens credit, think of all the teams in any sports who have high lottery picks and never win anything?? Yeah Crosby and Malkin are legends of the game, but they surrounded them with a great supporting cast and staff.

15-20 years following what could been a relocation, they have a gorgeous new barn and 3 rings in the last 10 years.

I hate the Pens too, but saying "no one actually cares in Pitt" or "this is behind the Steelers OTA's" is such garbage.

Lets hope we strike gold with this #2 pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it sucks the Caps and Sens choked and the Preds lost their 1C for the Finals, but it's time to move on to trades and the two drafts.

Monday, June 12 - Deadline for Clubs to request that a Player "waive" his "No Move" clause for purposes of Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET) (with the exception of Nashville and Pittsburgh, whose Deadline will be the later of: (i) 5 p.m. ET on June 12; or (ii) 5 p.m. ET on the day following the last day of the Stanley Cup Final).

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015

I'm not talking about the Phillies, but ok whatever. Agree to disagree.

Edit: My best friend is a Pens fan, so this is more in jest than seriousness since people are getting upset. Additionally, this is a message board, not rational face to face conversation. It's a place for venting, IMO.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
"The Philadelphia Flyers are proud to select, from the QMJ Halifax Mooseheads, Nico Hischier.

Please let this happen hockey gods. Complete the draft lottery miracle.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You have to give the Pens credit

No, we abso****inglutely do not. You can if you want to, but don't expect the rest of us to toss laurels at them.
They have more than enough people slurping them mercilessly.

This isn't sour grapes. They are the enemy. **** them for all eternity.
It's Us vs. Them. It always has been and always will be. It's as natural as breathing.

And again. **** them and every single one of their mongrel coal-mining rag-waving ****ing phony fans.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I get its a rivalry, I understand it, but I'm pretty disappointed in reading the large large large amount of sour grapes on this board.

You have to give the Pens credit, think of all the teams in any sports who have high lottery picks and never win anything?? Yeah Crosby and Malkin are legends of the game, but they surrounded them with a great supporting cast and staff.

15-20 years following what could been a relocation, they have a gorgeous new barn and 3 rings in the last 10 years.

I hate the Pens too, but saying "no one actually cares in Pitt" or "this is behind the Steelers OTA's" is such garbage.

Lets hope we strike gold with this #2 pick.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Also..

No.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
No, we abso****inglutely do not. You can if you want to, but don't expect the rest of us to toss laurels at them.

It's Us vs. Them. It always has been and always will be. It's as natural as breathing.

And again. **** them and every single one of their mongrel coal-mining rag-waving ****ing phony fans.

3 rings in 10 years.

We blew our shot in 2010 and haven't even been close to returning.

It's us vs them.

They are clearly winning... actually dominating.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

:yo:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"The Philadelphia Flyers are proud to select, from the QMJ Halifax Mooseheads, Nico Hischier.

Please let this happen hockey gods. Complete the draft lottery miracle.

It's going to be Patrick, and that's going to be A-OK for us :)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
3 rings in 10 years.

We blew our shot in 2010 and haven't even been close to returning.

It's us vs them.

They are clearly winning... actually dominating.

Congratulations. Why post that in here today after they have won another one? What's the point? Help me understand why a Flyers fan would view their accomplishments and success with indifference, and even praise them for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad