Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Playoffs for some, golf for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Flyers have such a long way to go to being a legitimately competitive team.

If you look at the arc of the Caps, Blues, Lightning, we're at least 5 years away if you include a few kicks at the can and failing, and then eventually winning.

Even then, we have no one even remotely close to an Ovechkin, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Hedman, Carlsson.

Fun times!

It’s also partly why we see the product we do. These guys aren’t exactly built to play like Tampa, Colorado or Florida. Or perhaps having the gall to do it. Florida is brave enough to run it against Tampa.

Id like to see it from an entertainment point of view but any real measure of success will lie in Hart, and all cylinders firing at the same time - so to speak. There is very little room for error with this team when it comes to advancing when they rely so heavily on the secondary committee approach.

I strongly disagree how this thing is built, but that’s a song and dance that’s as old as time. This also isn’t an NHL misc post, and I always forget to read the damn title.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers have such a long way to go to being a legitimately competitive team.

If you look at the arc of the Caps, Blues, Lightning, we're at least 5 years away if you include a few kicks at the can and failing, and then eventually winning.

Even then, we have no one even remotely close to an Ovechkin, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Hedman, Carlsson.

Fun times!

You're confusing competitive with actually winning the Cup.

Once you're competitive, you have a chance to win every year, but since only one team wins, most competitive teams fall short - which is why you want to keep the window open as long as possible to increase your chances of a season where the Hockey Gods smile upon you. Reason it takes 4-5 years for most teams is first, a young team needs playoff experience to go deep into the playoffs, second, things have to align, and the more shots, the more likely you'll have that special season. TB almost won, fell short, tweaked the roster and finally got over the top. Trotz "choked" until he didn't.

Flyers were competitive last spring, then COVID screwed them up (the Bruins as well). This season was a cluasterf---k, but the young talent has deepened, and Flyers will probably be one of the youngest teams in the NHL next season. We'll see if spring 2020 was a fluke, or the "real" Flyers next year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s also partly why we see the product we do. These guys aren’t exactly built to play like Tampa, Colorado or Florida. Or perhaps having the gall to do it. Florida is brave enough to run it against Tampa.

Id like to see it from an entertainment point of view but any real measure of success will lie in Hart, and all cylinders firing at the same time - so to speak. There is very little room for error with this team when it comes to advancing when they rely so heavily on the secondary committee approach.

I strongly disagree how this thing is built, but that’s a song and dance that’s as old as time. This also isn’t an NHL misc post, and I always forget to read the damn title.

There really is no point in discussing the possibility of the Flyers contending while Vigneault, Yeo, and Therrien are behind the bench. It's about as likely to happen as the supervolcano in Yosemite erupting just as an alien spacecraft passes by.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
$10m backup goalie.

I'm not positive off the top of my head, but I don't think any team has won a Cup in the cap era while sinking 6mil or more of cap space into a goalie.

Maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe there's a point of negative return on paying goalies. Maybe there's more value in using the extra 5-6mil on depth skaters than on a position that's very one dimensional, and where you could easily wind up with that cap hit sitting on the bench.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

JD is good as what he does, Jackets need someone who can direct the ship.

I'm surprised Kekalainen got an extension. I definitely expected him to be on the hot seat. I don't necessarily think he's a bad GM, but the season they just had seems like the perfect opportunity to clean house.

Reactions: orangey

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not positive off the top of my head, but I don't think any team has won a Cup in the cap era while sinking 6mil or more of cap space into a goalie.

Maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe there's a point of negative return on paying goalies. Maybe there's more value in using the extra 5-6mil on depth skaters than on a position that's very one dimensional, and where you could easily wind up with that cap hit sitting on the bench.

Wrong loser, Quick has done it with a 7mil cap hit. But I think he's the only one and he wasn't far removed from a thoroughly elite peak.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Blues missed the playoffs the year before they won, and traded for the Conn Smythe winner aka a 3C who would have played behind Patrick if the Flyers had got him.

Yeah but look at the 6-7 seasons before the won the Cup.

Finished 1st a few times, 2nd, 3rd, had a Conference final appearance, Conf. semi-final, couple first round losses.

We are 10 years removed from any kind of playoff significance.

A major trade can certainly shake things up, but I don't believe we have a group that is ready to seriously compete for the Cup anytime soon.

I hope I am wrong.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

Briefly looking these over, it seems like Quick in 2014 was the highest cap hit at $5.8 mill or 9.67%. Fleury as a backup was making $5.75 or 8.33% for the 2016 cup.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Paul Maurice is one of the most retrograde coaches in the league. He firmly believes in top 6/bottom 6. Jets fans, as far as I know, can’t comprehend why he is still coaching their team. I don’t think we have to hold him up on a pedestal. I know this is a strange concept in a sport as unmotivated to evolve as hockey but.....most coaches do stink.

We really don’t need to cheerlead for coaches who don’t even coach our team. The ones we have need full attention.
Hakstol was chasing matchups hard on the road or at home so he isn't any worse in this scenario. He just elected to go Lehtera against Malkin route.

Reactions: Magua

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
$10m backup goalie.

Tallon truly f***ed Florida trying to save his job the same way Nonis did with Clarkson, Except Florida doesn't have the money to pay for their problems to go away and Clarkson didn't sign as horrendous a contract as Bob did, not to even mention throwing money at 30 something goalie with history of groin injuries. Also unlike with MacArthur's compliance buyout Darling's dead cap stayed on the books alongside the Bob adventure. Cats ought to have a record for the amount of dead cap they sunk into goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad