Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Playoffs for some, golf for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
No no no. They didn’t “end up” there. He actively pursued that matchup.
Oh agree 1000000%. I just remember a game earlier this year where isles top line got 2 goals in 3rd down 2 when Twar was on the ice(goaltending wasn't the greatest as I recall). And couple of Flyer fans went off on how hard it is to matchup on the road.

And Paul Maurice who I wouldn't exactly put in my top 5 NHL coaches managed just fine in the 3rd period to make sure Nate didn't go against MCD.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh agree 1000000%. I just remember a game earlier this year where isles top line got 2 goals in 3rd down 2 when Twar was on the ice(goaltending wasn't the greatest as I recall). And couple of Flyer fans went off on how hard it is to matchup on the road.

And Paul Maurice who I wouldn't exactly put in my top 5 NHL coaches managed just fine in the 3rd period to make sure Nate didn't go against MCD.
Oh absolutely. No aspect of coaching is even nearly as hard as our staff makes it look.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you're telling me Thompson is so useless he's playing for Winnipeg in the playoffs.
God, there's a lot of stupid HCs out there.
Including some people around here want to hire. :sarcasm:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Paul Maurice is one of the most retrograde coaches in the league. He firmly believes in top 6/bottom 6. Jets fans, as far as I know, can’t comprehend why he is still coaching their team. I don’t think we have to hold him up on a pedestal. I know this is a strange concept in a sport as unmotivated to evolve as hockey but.....most coaches do stink.

We really don’t need to cheerlead for coaches who don’t even coach our team. The ones we have need full attention.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Paul Maurice is one of the most retrograde coaches in the league. He firmly believes in top 6/bottom 6. Jets fans, as far as I know, can’t comprehend why he is still coaching their team. I don’t think we have to hold him up on a pedestal. I know this is a strange concept in a sport as unmotivated to evolve as hockey but.....most coaches do stink.

We really don’t need to cheerlead for coaches who don’t even coach our team. The ones we have need full attention.
His post game interview he said(paraphrased):

"In the playoffs, the skill guys often cancel each other out. It's the guys who spend all season going to the net that often step up because that's where playoff hockey is played more and they are the ones that are good at it....keep it simple and get pucks on net and go follow it."

Reactions: Magua

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Someone has to say it. Thompson on the road in the 3rd somehow never plays against MCD or Leon but AV always finds a way for the 4th line to end up against the other team's first line.

Ideally, if you're rolling a 4th line like Laughton - Laczynski - NAK/Patrick it should be able to stymie other teams' first lines.
And that frees your offensive lines to match up against inferior players.
Thompson on the other hand, is simply a "minutes eater" and should be sheltered.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Love everything about his game. Avs are lucky to have both him and Landeskog. Landeskog puts an impact on every shift, guy bleeds leadership.

Avs make other teams appear to skating in slow motion. So fast.

And Makar is a total stud on d, kid's got skill, speed and ridiculous IQ and instincts.
MacKinnon's probably my favorite Non-Flyer right now.

They do have an impressive core. They always got high draft picks at the right time and Sakic has made some smart moves recently. Initially I was very skeptical about him as GM, but it seems it was Roy who held them back.
It's funny how similar Sakic's and Yzerman's career paths have been. As players and now as GMs, as well.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Flyers have such a long way to go to being a legitimately competitive team.

If you look at the arc of the Caps, Blues, Lightning, we're at least 5 years away if you include a few kicks at the can and failing, and then eventually winning.

Even then, we have no one even remotely close to an Ovechkin, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Hedman, Carlsson.

Fun times!

Reactions: FlyerNutter

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
MacKinnon's probably my favorite Non-Flyer right now.

They do have an impressive core. They always got high draft picks at the right time and Sakic has made some smart moves recently. Initially I was very skeptical about him as GM, but it seems it was Roy who held them back.
It's funny how similar Sakic's and Yzerman's career paths have been. As players and now as GMs, as well.

I was skeptical as well. I remember at the time thinking he was waiting too long to trade Duchene, those rumors started a long time before the trade
But look at the haul he got, that helped to shape their future

Looking back at Avalanche’s Matt Duchene trade three years later – The Denver Post

By unloading center Matt Duchene in the three-team deal with Ottawa and Nashville on Nov. 5, 2017, Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic received four players and three draft picks. The Avs currently have three players and four prospects from the deal.

Two of those, Sam Girard and Bo Byram will be staples on their blue line.

That trade started the path forward they are on now, and he's continued to make good moves. That kind of saavy, and vision, are key to any GM building a contender the right way.
You have to sacriice, make tough choices.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers have such a long way to go to being a legitimately competitive team.

If you look at the arc of the Caps, Blues, Lightning, we're at least 5 years away if you include a few kicks at the can and failing, and then eventually winning.

Even then, we have no one even remotely close to an Ovechkin, Kucherov, MacKinnon, Makar, Hedman, Carlsson.

Fun times!

The Blues missed the playoffs the year before they won, and traded for the Conn Smythe winner aka a 3C who would have played behind Patrick if the Flyers had got him.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad