Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LVI: Playoffs for some, golf for others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Rebels57 said:
True. Erat was 31 at the time compared to 26. Still, this trade could look ugly for the Caps when you add in the 1st and 2nd too. Yzerman is a beast. Detroit will contend again before we do.

Vrana is on a shooting heater though at 25% (to be fair, he's a 14-16% guy to begin with). Mantha's underlying numbers still look great on the Caps, and it's not like 8 points in 13 games, with more mouths to feed, is not good. His 5v5 production has been unlucky.

Mantha also has 3 more years at good cost. Vrana needs a new RFA contract -- though it's possible the cost is similar (~$6 mil?). Vrana is getting 3 more minutes ice time on Detroit compared to Washington, and with that usage and his skating ability, he obviously can do some individual damage. Mantha still might be slightly better, with his added playdriving ability -- I thought he's looked great against the Flyers. Vrana is really good too, so maybe he does end up the better point getter. I think most people agreed the added picks were pricey but not not worth it as a luxury price. You could do worse.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Looking at McDavid's ES pts...he has 65.

That's more than all but 3 players total points!
That's 1 less than G and Jake combined!

And looking at Edmonton's other forwards:

Drai has 47 ES pts
Puljujarvi has 21
Yamamoto has 17
RNH has 14

Talk about top heavy....lol. As a comparison to us:

Jake, G, JVR, Couts, Bee-all between 29 and 35
TK, Hayes, Laugts-all between 19 and 22

McDavid is a freak!

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Looking at McDavid's ES pts...he has 65.

That's more than all but 3 players total points!
That's 1 less than G and Jake combined!

And looking at Edmonton's other forwards:

Drai has 47 ES pts
Puljujarvi has 21
Yamamoto has 17
RNH has 14

Talk about top heavy....lol. As a comparison to us:

Jake, G, JVR, Couts, Bee-all between 29 and 35
TK, Hayes, Laugts-all between 19 and 22

McDavid is a freak!
The season he's having is nutty. 1.89 points per game. That's insane. Since 05-06, the next highest is Crosby in 10-11 with 1.61, although he only played 41 games that season.

After that the next closest is Kucherov during his 128 point year in 18-19, good for a paltry 1.56 ppg.

If McDavid continued at his current pace for a full 82 game season, he'd get to 155 points. Normally I roll my eyes at people talking about pace, but this IS McDavid, and he's actually been scoring at a higher rate to end the season, which is ridiculous. The last time anybody hit 155+ points was Mario in 95-96.

From all these stats I can draw two main conclusions:

1) Holy f*** is McDavid on another level and AINEC

2) Holy goddamn f*** have Pittsburgh fans been coddled. I just can't wait for them to pick up another couple generational talents after Crosby retires and Malkin f***s off back to Russia :rolleyes:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The season he's having is nutty. 1.89 points per game. That's insane. Since 05-06, the next highest is Crosby in 10-11 with 1.61, although he only played 41 games that season.

After that the next closest is Kucherov during his 128 point year in 18-19, good for a paltry 1.56 ppg.

If McDavid continued at his current pace for a full 82 game season, he'd get to 155 points. Normally I roll my eyes at people talking about pace, but this IS McDavid, and he's actually been scoring at a higher rate to end the season, which is ridiculous. The last time anybody hit 155+ points was Mario in 95-96.

From all these stats I can draw two main conclusions:

1) Holy f*** is McDavid on another level and AINEC

2) Holy goddamn f*** have Pittsburgh fans been coddled. I just can't wait for them to pick up another couple generational talents after Crosby retires and Malkin f***s off back to Russia :rolleyes:

And just think, Gretzky once had 163 assists in a season lol

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
And just think, Gretzky once had 163 assists in a season lol
And scored 52 goals that season, which was 6th highest in the NHL. :laugh:
Gretzky's numbers are just absurd. I honestly can't even truly process them. Back to back to back 200+ point seasons? How?! He's got more assists than anybody else has points, and he scored more goals than anybody else by a pretty significant margin. It boggles the mind.

I was born in 1990, and didn't really pay attention to the NHL until the Canes came to Raleigh in 1999, so I missed his entire career. I've watched some highlights though, and it's absurd how easy he makes everything look, despite teams gearing their entire gameplan on shutting him down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gretzky's numbers are just absurd. I honestly can't even truly process them. Back to back to back 200+ point seasons? How?! He's got more assists than anybody else has points, and he scored more goals than anybody else by a pretty significant margin. It boggles the mind.

I was born in 1990, and didn't really pay attention to the NHL until the Canes came to Raleigh in 1999, so I missed his entire career. I've watched some highlights though, and it's absurd how easy he makes everything look, despite teams gearing their entire gameplan on shutting him down.

You can say what you want about the goaltending in the 80's but everyone else was facing the same goaltending...he dominated HIS ERA more than any North American athlete except maybe Wilt Chamberlains first 7-8 years.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

Surrounded By Ahos

Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You can say what you want about the goaltending in the 80's but everyone else was facing the same goaltending...he dominated HIS ERA more than any North American athlete except maybe Wilt Chamberlains first 7-8 years.
Yep. Just looking at the 80s, Gretzky scored 1,842 points in 768 games. The next closest guy was Peter Stastny with a respectable 1,059 in 749. That's a difference of 783 points, or just around an extra point per game by Gretzky. The gap between 1st and 2nd was the same as the gap between 2nd and 207th (Behn Wilson, with 276 points in 460 games).

That's ridiculous. I don't even have the words to describe how dominant that is.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yep. Just looking at the 80s, Gretzky scored 1,842 points in 768 games. The next closest guy was Peter Stastny with a respectable 1,059 in 749. That's a difference of 783 points, or just around an extra point per game by Gretzky. The gap between 1st and 2nd was the same as the gap between 2nd and 207th (Behn Wilson, with 276 points in 460 games).

That's ridiculous. I don't even have the words to describe how dominant that is.
Just think, in hockey drafts his assist and goals were split into 2 options. So his assists often got drafted 1st....then his goals later on.

Funny shit when you think about that.

That's what happens when someone scores 92 goals...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->