Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LI: Covid Cup Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Provy/Jones would be a dream come true. I want that to happen.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Probably not the year to evoke Doughty’s name anymore either.

Pietrangelo was a legit Norris candidate this year, though. Provy’s never come close to that and probably never will. A lot of very good D don’t do that.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The reason why I would be all in for Pietrangelo. Doesn’t cost an asset besides cap space and he’s one hell of a defender. If we must we can work out a deal with Seattle.

trace JVR. Sign Pietrangelo. Let everything else fall into place. Ghost would more than likely be moved as well (inevitable)

Also- small disclaimer I have loved that man since his draft year.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

Pietrangelo was a legit Norris candidate this year, though. Provy’s never come close to that and probably never will. A lot of very good D don’t do that.

i never said provorov is pietrangelo but that you win with those types of players. Provorov might not be as great offensively but he has room to grow still in all areas of his game

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
i feel like people would take werenski over provorov just beacuse he is better on the pp lol. probably chabot too

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I really don’t want to watch Chuck Fletcher try to maneuver around a razor thin cap figure for the foreseeable future.
I understand the worry but I feel like when a Pietrangelo comes on the market you need to try and get him. Managing the cap will be a test for sure though.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
i never said provorov is pietrangelo but that you win with those types of players. Provorov might not be as great offensively but he has room to grow still in all areas of his game

You win with every type of good player. You can prefer them and no one should object even slightly, but there’s nothing superior about a certain archetype. The value is in how players leverage what they have.

Starting from, “These are the players you win with,” is the Chiarelli approach.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
You win with every type of good player. You can prefer them and no one should object even slightly, but there’s nothing superior about a certain archetype. The value is in how players leverage what they have.

Starting from, “These are the players you win with,” is the Chiarelli approach.

no objections here..

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I understand the worry but I feel like when a Pietrangelo comes on the market you need to try and get him. Managing the cap will be a test for sure though.

There’s like a 1% chance of that happening. Too many moving parts required.

They essentially made their bed with the Hayes, Niskanen, JVR, etc. moves the past few offseasons.

Reactions: flyersNducks

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Actually Doughty was the perfect person to compare Provorov to because he's another guy who gets overrated because of name, reputation, stereotypes, and quantity of usage, instead of what they actually do on the ice.

Reactions: Jtown

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
While we're mentioning Chiarelli, I don't think we discuss often enough what he tells us about the idea that private tracking services are inherently better.

I would love to know the name of the firm that took the Oilers' money and spit out Kris Russell being one of the league's best Defensemen on Zone Exits. That's an all-timer. Professionals!

Remarkablr

Feb 19, 2019
Provorov is elite?

I assume the sole criteria is regular season PP goals? Or maybe TOI/GP?

No he is not elite and never will be. There are at least 3 better defensemen on the team. And he is an absolute clown on the power play.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
No he is not elite and never will be. There are at least 3 better defensemen on the team. And he is an absolute clown on the power play.

Three better d-men on the team?

Provorov isn't elite, and I think most on the fanbase agree with that. but he's fine as a top pair defenseman on this team. I would take Provorov over Sanheim or Myers right now. That could change, but I still think he's the best defenseman on the team.

As far as PP usuge, he's not being put in a position to succeed and when I say that, I mean he shouldn't be on the first unit, and you can make the case not even on the PP at all. But the coaching staff clearly has other ideas.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Three better d-men on the team?

Provorov isn't elite, and I think most on the fanbase agree with that. but he's fine as a top pair defenseman on this team. I would take Provorov over Sanheim or Myers right now. That could change, but I still think he's the best defenseman on the team.

As far as PP usuge, he's not being put in a position to succeed and when I say that, I mean he shouldn't be on the first unit, and you can make the case not even on the PP at all. But the coaching staff clearly has other ideas.
Provy is easily a top 20 defenseman in the league. He's probably not elite, but what does elite mean anyway these days? That term lost a lot of meaning. For me the only elite defensemen right now are Hedman, Carlson, Pietrangelo and maybe 1-2 others.
I think on this team Provy is the defenseman we can't replace. We saw in Game 6 how good he is at shutting down top players. He single-handedly shut down Barzal in that game. He can be absolute dominating when he's on his game. He also seems to be a natural leader which is a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad